Old 02-10-2012, 09:50 AM
John Doe

Default yum update stuck...

Hi,

Running Transaction
* Updating****** : selinux-policy****************************************** 1/6
* Updating****** : kmod-r8168********************************************* * 2/6
Working. This may take some time ...

An hour later, still working...

S+** 10:51** 0:08* |********** \_ /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/yum update
S+** 10:53** 0:00* |************** \_ /bin/sh /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.9003 2
S+** 10:53** 0:00* |****************** \_ /bin/bash /sbin/weak-modules --add-modules
S+** 10:53** 0:00* |********************** \_ /bin/bash --norc /sbin/mkinitrd --allow-missing -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18-274.17.1.el5.tmp 2.6.18-274.17.1.el5
S+** 10:53** 0:00* |************************** \_ /bin/bash --norc /sbin/mkinitrd --allow-missing -f /boot/initrd-2.6.18-274.17.1.el5.tmp 2.6.18-274.17.1.el5
D+** 10:53** 0:00* |****************************** \_ lvm.static lvs --ignorelockingfailure --noheadings -o vg_name /dev/md1

I tried an strace but nothing shows up.
Now, it is in: T+and strace showed me it was/is stuck on "phantom" usb devices and doing lvm stuff while I do not use lvm...

Should I wait or can I just ctrl-c, reset the usb_storage module to clean up and retry yum update?

Thx,

JD

Old 02-10-2012, 10:04 AM
John Doe

From: John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com>

> Should I wait or can I just ctrl-c, reset the usb_storage module to clean up and
> retry yum update?

Never mind, it did end after a while...

JD

Old 02-11-2012, 01:50 PM
Ned Slider

On 10/02/12 10:50, John Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Running Transaction
> Updating : selinux-policy 1/6
> Updating : kmod-r8168 2/6
> Working. This may take some time ...
>

> An hour later, still working...

Wow. These kmods can take quite some time to update/install in yum,
hence the informational message, but I've not yet seen one take an hour!

How many kernels do you have installed as time is proportional to the
number of kernels the module has to install against. Is it a
particularly slow/old system, maybe short on memory?

Old 02-17-2012, 06:17 PM
"Mike Burger"

> On 10/02/12 10:50, John Doe wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Running Transaction
>> Updating : selinux-policy
>> 1/6
>> Updating : kmod-r8168
>> 2/6
>> Working. This may take some time ...
>>

>> An hour later, still working...
>>

> Wow. These kmods can take quite some time to update/install in yum,
> hence the informational message, but I've not yet seen one take an hour!
>
> How many kernels do you have installed as time is proportional to the
> number of kernels the module has to install against. Is it a
> particularly slow/old system, maybe short on memory?

I don't recall, now, if I've replied to this thread or not, but...

I ran into a similar issue a few weeks ago...it turned out that I was
having an issue with my /tmp filesystem (at least)...I couldn't even
perform an orderly shutdown -r.

I wound up hard booting, during which /tmp was fsck'd, clearing a fair
number of orphaned inodes, and my yum update ran just fine after that.

Just a thought.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org