Old 02-10-2012, 04:30 AM
Bob Hoffman

Default advice on bind/dns and many sites

hi all,
currently my websites are sharing one server, also having bind running
on that server for all of them.
I am now breaking the sites on to different machines.

So what would you do on bond/dns?

I was thinking of making two servers as nameservers, one master, one
slave, for all my domains.
For resolution of the server itself I was originally going to make a
recursive caching nameserver for the domains to go to.

However, instead I was thinking of running bind as a caching server on
each websites machine, with a couple extra points to online servers like
googles (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)

I was hoping to limit cpu/mem needs by putting the recursive/caching on
a separate machine, but perhaps it is better to put it on each machine.

what would you do?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:52 AM

Bob Hoffman writes:

> hi all,
> currently my websites are sharing one server, also having bind running
> on that server for all of them.
> I am now breaking the sites on to different machines.
>
> So what would you do on bond/dns?
>
> I was thinking of making two servers as nameservers, one master, one
> slave, for all my domains.

I'd make 3, one master and 2 slaves, keep the master behind a strict
firewall, let the slaves face the public internet.

> For resolution of the server itself I was originally going to make a
> recursive caching nameserver for the domains to go to.
>
> However, instead I was thinking of running bind as a caching server on
> each websites machine, with a couple extra points to online servers like
> googles (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4)

If you don't have privacy issues you can use google's. There's also Level3:
4.2.2.1-6. See which gives you lower latency.

> I was hoping to limit cpu/mem needs by putting the recursive/caching on
> a separate machine, but perhaps it is better to put it on each machine.

No need to run a dns server on each machine; run a couple of caches in your
network and it should be enough; maybe use google/level3 as a tertiary
nameserver, just in case.

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro