Old 02-09-2012, 06:19 PM
Phil Savoie

Default Startech USB21000S

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has had the occasion to use one of these for
usb networking with Centos 6.2. Did it work out of the box? Any
recommendations? It uses the ax88178 chipset and is a gigabit usb
network adaptor.

Thanks a bunch, in advance for your time.

Phil

Old 02-09-2012, 10:19 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/09/2012 08:19 PM, Phil Savoie wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Just wondering if anyone has had the occasion to use one of these for
> usb networking with Centos 6.2. Did it work out of the box? Any
> recommendations? It uses the ax88178 chipset and is a gigabit usb
> network adaptor.

Here:
http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=84

it says you can download Linux driver for 2.6.9-2.6.13 kernel. I guess
it should be in kernel...

And there are this drivers:
http://driverscollection.com/?H=AX88178&By=ASIX&SS=Linux

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-10-2012, 02:14 AM
Nataraj

On 02/09/2012 03:19 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 08:19 PM, Phil Savoie wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has had the occasion to use one of these for
>> usb networking with Centos 6.2. Did it work out of the box? Any
>> recommendations? It uses the ax88178 chipset and is a gigabit usb
>> network adaptor.
>>
> Here:
> http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=84
>
> it says you can download Linux driver for 2.6.9-2.6.13 kernel. I guess
> it should be in kernel...
>
> And there are this drivers:
> http://driverscollection.com/?H=AX88178&By=ASIX&SS=Linux

According to reviews on this web page, it may require kernel source to
compile necessary driver, but it does work. Fedora 15 is supposed to
have drivers included, but don't know about Centos 6.2.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-114-046&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&Selected Rating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFul lInfo

Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/10/2012 04:14 AM, Nataraj wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 03:19 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> On 02/09/2012 08:19 PM, Phil Savoie wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Just wondering if anyone has had the occasion to use one of these for
>>> usb networking with Centos 6.2. Did it work out of the box? Any
>>> recommendations? It uses the ax88178 chipset and is a gigabit usb
>>> network adaptor.
>>>
>> Here:
>> http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=84
>>
>> it says you can download Linux driver for 2.6.9-2.6.13 kernel. I guess
>> it should be in kernel...
>>
>> And there are this drivers:
>> http://driverscollection.com/?H=AX88178&By=ASIX&SS=Linux
>>

> According to reviews on this web page, it may require kernel source to
> compile necessary driver, but it does work. Fedora 15 is supposed to
> have drivers included, but don't know about Centos 6.2.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-114-046&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&Selected Rating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFul lInfo
> <http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=33-114-046&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&Selected Rating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFul lInfo>

CentOSPlus kernel should have it enabled. If not, then you can always
ask ElRepo for help in compiling the kmod- package.

It would be good is DeviceID would be available.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Devin Reade

I can't speak to the actual USB device mentioned, but I bought a
couple of Startech PCIe gigabit cards a few months back to add
an extra set of interfaces on a pacemaker cluster and those cards
turned out to be absolute crap. They would tend to go numb at
random times and eventually require a server restart to recover.
Instead of increasing uptime they drastically decreased it.
They got ripped out *very* quickly.

It kind of soured me on startech NICs.

Devin

Old 02-12-2012, 01:34 AM
Phil Savoie

On 02/09/2012 06:19 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 08:19 PM, Phil Savoie wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Just wondering if anyone has had the occasion to use one of these for
>> usb networking with Centos 6.2. Did it work out of the box? Any
>> recommendations? It uses the ax88178 chipset and is a gigabit usb
>> network adaptor.
>>

> Here:
> http://www.asix.com.tw/download.php?sub=driverdetail&PItemID=84
>
> it says you can download Linux driver for 2.6.9-2.6.13 kernel. I guess
> it should be in kernel...
>
> And there are this drivers:
> http://driverscollection.com/?H=AX88178&By=ASIX&SS=Linux

Thank you very much for this. I really appreciate it.

Phil