Old 02-09-2012, 04:33 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Default advice on having php 5.2.x:

Hi all,

My goal is to have PHP 5.2.x on a centos virtual machine (LXC)
Looking at the repositories:
- 6.2 has php 5.3:
ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.centos.org/6.2/updates/i386/drpms/
- 5.7 has php 5.1
ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.centos.org/5.7/updates/i386/RPMS/

I'll have to rebuild a source RPM in order to have what I want:
- Which base should I install for a php 5.2 VM? 6.2 or 5.7?
- Which release of CentOS had a php 5.2 source rpm that I could just
rebuild without too much extra patching?

Thank you all.

Side note:
For legacy projects, I'll also have to have a php 4, but there, no
problem: ftp://ftp.free.fr/mirrors/ftp.centos.org/4.9/updates/i386/RPMS/
has a php 4.3.9, so, no problem.
The machines are simply development machines, on the LAN, in order to
keep (very) old projects running if we ever have to get back on them.
These are not for public or production use.

--
RMA.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:07 AM
Peter Peltonen

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 7:33 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby
<mihamina@rktmb.org> wrote:
> I'll have to rebuild a source RPM in order to have what I want:
> - Which base should I install for a php 5.2 VM? 6.2 or 5.7?
> - Which release of CentOS had a php 5.2 source rpm that I could just
> rebuild without too much extra patching?

There is a PHP 5.2 RPM for CentoOS5 in the testing repo:

http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/SRPMS/

So I would go with CentOS 5.7 and use that as the base. Those RPMs
might even provide you what you need without the need to recompile
your own?

Best,
Peter

Old 02-09-2012, 09:16 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:07:34PM +0200, Peter Peltonen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is a PHP 5.2 RPM for CentoOS5 in the testing repo:
>
> http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/SRPMS/

This should be avoided at all costs. Those packages have not been
updated for ever and as a result have multiple known critical
vulnerabilities. Additionally, as has been pointed out repeatedly,
these packages must be removed; the project is effectively pushing known
vulnerable packages.

Use the IUS repository and the php-5.2.17 packages they supply. IUS is
known and vetted and they have a commercial stake in the stability and
integrity of the packages in that repo as they are what RackSpace makes
available to their own paying customers.

Please see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories for
more information and a link to the IUS repo.

John
--
Christmas creep (n):

The inexorable tendency for the commercial aspects of Christmas to appear
earlier every year

-- Wiktionary's word of the day, 20 November 2011

Old 02-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Peter Peltonen

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 9, 2012 at 12:16 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/SRPMS/
>
> This should be avoided at all costs. *Those packages have not been
> updated for ever and as a result have multiple known critical
> vulnerabilities. *Additionally, as has been pointed out repeatedly,
> these packages must be removed; the project is effectively pushing known
> vulnerable packages.

Thank you John for pointing this out! I just googled for PHP 5.2 SRPM
and as it was an official CentOS 5 repositry that provided the package
I thought it was maintained security wise. Of course the word
"testing" should have rang a bell...

Best,
Peter

Old 02-09-2012, 12:52 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

On 02/09/2012 01:16 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:07:34PM +0200, Peter Peltonen wrote:
>> There is a PHP 5.2 RPM for CentoOS5 in the testing repo:
>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/SRPMS/
> Use the IUS repository and the php-5.2.17 packages they supply [...]
> Please see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories for
> more information and a link to the IUS repo.

Thank you very much.

--
RMA.

Old 02-09-2012, 08:01 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/09/2012 04:16 AM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:07:34PM +0200, Peter Peltonen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is a PHP 5.2 RPM for CentoOS5 in the testing repo:
>>
>> http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/SRPMS/
> This should be avoided at all costs. Those packages have not been
> updated for ever and as a result have multiple known critical
> vulnerabilities. Additionally, as has been pointed out repeatedly,
> these packages must be removed; the project is effectively pushing known
> vulnerable packages.
>
> Use the IUS repository and the php-5.2.17 packages they supply. IUS is
> known and vetted and they have a commercial stake in the stability and
> integrity of the packages in that repo as they are what RackSpace makes
> available to their own paying customers.
>
> Please see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories for
> more information and a link to the IUS repo.

For the record, those 5.2.10 php files are the latest released from here:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHWAS/SRPMS/

Those are from the Red Hat Web Application Stack for EL5. It gets
errata here:

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-appstk-5-errata.html

As to whether or not you should use them, that is ... of course ... up
to you. It is the latest released, by upstream.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:05 PM
"fakessh @"

Le jeudi 09 février 2012 à 15:01 -0600, Johnny Hughes a écrit :
> On 02/09/2012 04:16 AM, John R. Dennison wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 09, 2012 at 12:07:34PM +0200, Peter Peltonen wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> There is a PHP 5.2 RPM for CentoOS5 in the testing repo:
> >>
> >> http://dev.centos.org/centos/5/testing/SRPMS/
> > This should be avoided at all costs. Those packages have not been
> > updated for ever and as a result have multiple known critical
> > vulnerabilities. Additionally, as has been pointed out repeatedly,
> > these packages must be removed; the project is effectively pushing known
> > vulnerable packages.
> >
> > Use the IUS repository and the php-5.2.17 packages they supply. IUS is
> > known and vetted and they have a commercial stake in the stability and
> > integrity of the packages in that repo as they are what RackSpace makes
> > available to their own paying customers.
> >
> > Please see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories for
> > more information and a link to the IUS repo.
>
> For the record, those 5.2.10 php files are the latest released from here:
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/RHWAS/SRPMS/
>
> Those are from the Red Hat Web Application Stack for EL5. It gets
> errata here:
>
> https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/rhel-appstk-5-errata.html
>
> As to whether or not you should use them, that is ... of course ... up
> to you. It is the latest released, by upstream.

i build php rpm and other source in the style centos php53 with package
ius
http://ns.fakessh.eu/rpms

--
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC2626742
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key C2626742

http://urlshort.eu fakessh @
http://gplus.to/sshfake
http://gplus.to/sshswilting
http://gplus.to/john.swilting
https://lists.fakessh.eu/mailman/
This list is moderated by me, but all applications will be accepted
provided they receive a note of presentation