Old 02-08-2012, 09:32 AM
wwp

Default Eeek, my centos6 box won't boot after broken update, need help w/ yum

Hello there,

I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
only in init 3 mode (tty).

From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.

yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
Same stuff if I start that command again.

A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.

Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?

wwp

Old 02-08-2012, 10:06 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/08/2012 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
> Hello there,
>

> I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
> latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
> only in init 3 mode (tty).
>
> From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
>
> yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
> transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename> - ud from
> the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> Same stuff if I start that command again.
>
> A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
>
> Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?

"yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
number). Use that number in:

"yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
rollback <number>"

Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM
wwp

Hello Ljubomir,

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:06:44 +0100 Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:

> On 02/08/2012 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
> > Hello there,
> >

> > I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
> > latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
> > only in init 3 mode (tty).
> >
> > From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> > to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
> >
> > yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
> > transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename> - ud from
> > the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> > lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> > Same stuff if I start that command again.
> >
> > A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
> >
> > Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
> >

> "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
> number). Use that number in:
>
> "yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
> rollback <number>"
>
> Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.

Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).

None of the undo or rollback commands work, mostly because of hundreds
of "Failed to downgrade <packagename>" lines (those packagenames are
not part of the stalled transaction, BTW).

It seems that the problem is not simply a broken transaction today,
`yum check` reports 399 pre-existing rpmdb problems, typically
conflicts between duplicate old and new versions of tons of other
packages, and I don't have a clue of when/how this has all been broken.

And don't know how to fix.. reinstalling the system seems a bit rough?

wwp

Old 02-08-2012, 03:40 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/08/2012 03:22 PM, wwp wrote:
> Hello Ljubomir,
>

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:06:44 +0100 Ljubomir Ljubojevic<office@plnet.rs> wrote:
>
>> On 02/08/2012 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
>>> Hello there,
>>>

>>> I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
>>> latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
>>> only in init 3 mode (tty).
>>>
>>> From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
>>> to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
>>>
>>> yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
>>> transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename> - ud from
>>> the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
>>> lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
>>> Same stuff if I start that command again.
>>>
>>> A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
>>>
>>> Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
>>>

>> "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
>> number). Use that number in:
>>
>> "yum history undo<number>", "yum history redo<number>" or "yum history
>> rollback<number>"
>>
>> Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.
>
> Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
> advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).
>
> None of the undo or rollback commands work, mostly because of hundreds
> of "Failed to downgrade<packagename>" lines (those packagenames are
> not part of the stalled transaction, BTW).
>
> It seems that the problem is not simply a broken transaction today,
> `yum check` reports 399 pre-existing rpmdb problems, typically
> conflicts between duplicate old and new versions of tons of other
> packages, and I don't have a clue of when/how this has all been broken.
>
> And don't know how to fix.. reinstalling the system seems a bit rough?

I am hesitant to further advise you, since my yum problem solving is not
so great. Please backup any files you need/want first.

That said, you can try
"yum history sync"
, and if even that does not help, think about re-installing all packages
with
"yum reinstall *"

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:32 AM, wwp <subscript@free.fr> wrote:

> I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
> latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
> only in init 3 mode (tty).
>
> From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
>
> yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
> transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
> the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> Same stuff if I start that command again.
>
> A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
>
> Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?

Are you actually answering yes and letting it continue or stopping when you
see the list of things it needs to do?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-08-2012, 04:56 PM
wwp

Hello Les,

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 11:51:33 -0600 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 4:32 AM, wwp <subscript@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
> > latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
> > only in init 3 mode (tty).
> >
> > From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> > to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
> >
> > yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
> > transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
> > the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> > lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> > Same stuff if I start that command again.
> >
> > A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
> >
> > Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
> >

> Are you actually answering yes and letting it continue or stopping when you
> see the list of things it needs to do?

I tried both :-) (first time: no, second time: yes).

Tried also `rpm --rebuilddb`, no effect. Will try `yum history sync` or
`yum reinstall` or.. really reinstall.

wwp

Old 02-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Les Mikesell

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM, wwp <subscript@free.fr> wrote:

> > > From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> > > to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
> > >
> > > yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in
> 1
> > > transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing <packagename> - ud from
> > > the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> > > lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> > > Same stuff if I start that command again.
> > >
> > > A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
> > >
> > > Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
> > >

> > Are you actually answering yes and letting it continue or stopping when
> you
> > see the list of things it needs to do?
>

> I tried both :-) (first time: no, second time: yes).
>
> Tried also `rpm --rebuilddb`, no effect. Will try `yum history sync` or
> `yum reinstall` or.. really reinstall.

Are you seeing errors from yum as it tries to complete the steps it says it
needs to complete the transaction? Does it still show a bunch of duplicate
packages?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-08-2012, 06:23 PM
Louis Lagendijk

On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 15:22 +0100, wwp wrote:
> Hello Ljubomir,
>

> On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 12:06:44 +0100 Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:
>
> > On 02/08/2012 11:32 AM, wwp wrote:
> > > Hello there,
> > >

> > > I think I've shutdown my box right in the middle of a yum update.. The
> > > latest kernel installed won't simple boot, and the old one can, but
> > > only in init 3 mode (tty).
> > >
> > > From a console, I wanted to complete the yum update and it suggested me
> > > to do a `yum-complete-transaction`.
> > >
> > > yum-complete-transaction tells me that 447 elements are left to run in 1
> > > transaction, runs and show lots of "Removing<packagename> - ud from
> > > the transaction" then processes lots of stuff, and ends with listing
> > > lots of duplicate packages (mostly Xorg stuff) and.. and that's all.
> > > Same stuff if I start that command again.
> > >
> > > A `yum cleanup` doesn't change it.
> > >
> > > Any hint how I could get of that deadly loop?
> > >

> > "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
> > number). Use that number in:
> >
> > "yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
> > rollback <number>"
> >
> > Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.
>
> Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
> advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).

You may want to try the package-cleanup command.
package-cleanup --problems could be the first thing to try

Louis

Old 02-09-2012, 06:21 AM
wwp

Hello Les,

On Wed, 8 Feb 2012 12:03:15 -0600 Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:

> > 1

> > > Are you actually answering yes and letting it continue or stopping when
> > you
> > > see the list of things it needs to do?
> >

> > I tried both :-) (first time: no, second time: yes).
> >
> > Tried also `rpm --rebuilddb`, no effect. Will try `yum history sync` or
> > `yum reinstall` or.. really reinstall.
> >

> Are you seeing errors from yum as it tries to complete the steps it says it
> needs to complete the transaction? Does it still show a bunch of duplicate
> packages?

Yes and yes.

wwp

Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 AM
wwp

Hello Louis,

On Wed, 08 Feb 2012 20:23:35 +0100 Louis Lagendijk <louis@lagendijk.xs4all.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-02-08 at 15:22 +0100, wwp wrote:
> > Hello Ljubomir,

> > > "yum history list" will give you of last yum transaction (highest
> > > number). Use that number in:
> > >
> > > "yum history undo <number>", "yum history redo <number>" or "yum history
> > > rollback <number>"
> > >
> > > Read "man yum" for differences between commands if necessary.
> >
> > Hm. Since I use CentOS (was using Fedora before) I discover some yum
> > advanced features, thanks for teaching me, Ljubomir :-).
>
> You may want to try the package-cleanup command.
> package-cleanup --problems could be the first thing to try

Nice try, but this command reports "No Problems Found".

wwp