Old 02-07-2012, 05:51 AM
Bob Hoffman

Default my notes on bond, bridge, network, kvm, host and virtual so far

Hi all, thanks for taking an interest.
been populating the page with all the data I could.

as someone who sent me a mail noticed that there was still some
networkmanager stuff in the
log messages. I have disabled it before..and did so again, fresh reboot
and there it was.

I am using startx to enter into a mini desktop on the unit (via impi)
and that seemed to
restart networkmanager for some odd reason.

I cleaned it up some more and am waiting to see if it fails. (it can
take up to one hour to fail, so
I try to only do 3 or 4 things at once and wait til it goes...sigh.)

http://bobhoffman.com/vmissue.html

I tried with and without hwaddress in the files and found no difference.
I took them out again for this try
and using mode 6 which is set to rewrite. A number of the modes required
switch support according to
docs and I tried testing them out but using hwaddress to get around it
(well, worth a shot).

the worst part is the depth of time it takes. Sometimes almost an hour
goes by and I say 'eureka!!'
and continue working on the server, proud of myself...then 'bam' no
connect....lol

screwing around on the vm got me to screw up the network on there
now..seems eth0 does not exist and it wants eth2...lol
sigh.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Bob Hoffman

well, had to add something to it.

I found out I was having an issue with the addon ethernet card (e1000)
'link detected no'
and it not working. Took it out? Yep? Work? No.....

However, I did add a second vm and something interesting is happening....

one vm stays up, one will crash...the one that stays does not die.

I am thinking that the vnet0 that comes up is messed up and I need to
reset it somehow.
Or...something else....but one staying up while other goes down is
rather odd.

very strange.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 02/07/2012 07:26 PM, Devin Reade wrote:
> I had a lot of problems with the network stack on VMs, both under
> VMWare ESXi and Xen where the network would just go numb. After a
> lot of splunking I determined that it seemed to be related to
> faulty TCP segment offload.

Yeah, wow. You just jogged my memory. Intel 82573(V/L/E) ethernet
adapters had a serious bug that would cause TX hangs:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/9180/eng/README.txt
"82573(V/L/E) TX Unit Hang Messages"

Bob, what model cards did you have in your server?

Old 02-14-2012, 04:06 AM
Bob Hoffman

*Gordon Messmer* wrote

/