Old 02-06-2012, 05:36 PM
Bruno Wolff III

Default Summary of boot device selection IRC discussion, Friday 3 Feb

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:47:25 -0500,
Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> - if you only have one local disk (laptop) then it's that disk.
> - if you have multiple disks, it's the disk you have set to boot from
> your firmware.
> - the first local, non-removable disk is the obvious default
>
> If you pick the wrong disk for boot, your firmware won't know where the
> os is and will pop up an 'operating system not found' error.
>
> There are some complicated cases, though:

How does this work with software raid 1 where you probably want the mbr
written on all of the array members so you can pull a bad disk and still
boot off of the remaining one(s)?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:21 PM
David Lehman

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 12:36 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 12:47:25 -0500,
> Máirín Duffy <duffy@fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > - if you only have one local disk (laptop) then it's that disk.
> > - if you have multiple disks, it's the disk you have set to boot from
> > your firmware.
> > - the first local, non-removable disk is the obvious default
> >
> > If you pick the wrong disk for boot, your firmware won't know where the
> > os is and will pop up an 'operating system not found' error.
> >
> > There are some complicated cases, though:
>
> How does this work with software raid 1 where you probably want the mbr
> written on all of the array members so you can pull a bad disk and still
> boot off of the remaining one(s)?

As of now, the way it works is we automatically install to the MBRs of
each disk containing a member of the /boot array if the user chose to
install to the MBR. My first thought is that you would choose the disk
you expect to actually boot from until something goes wrong, and we'll
handle the automatic install to the other members' disks' MBRs if /boot
ends up being on RAID1.

Sound sensible?

Old 02-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Bruno Wolff III

On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 13:21:38 -0600,
David Lehman <dlehman@redhat.com> wrote:

> As of now, the way it works is we automatically install to the MBRs of
> each disk containing a member of the /boot array if the user chose to
> install to the MBR. My first thought is that you would choose the disk
> you expect to actually boot from until something goes wrong, and we'll
> handle the automatic install to the other members' disks' MBRs if /boot
> ends up being on RAID1.
>
> Sound sensible?

That sounds reasonable.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:45 PM
John Reiser

On 02/06/2012 09:47 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:

> Would anybody ever want to make a usb stick a boot device for a system
> that has critical mountpoints on other devices? E.g., / is on usb disk
> 1, /home is on usb disk 2, /var is on some random hard drive <= seems
> like a messy soup of pain "There's always going to be that guy who wants
> to install to a USB (real) disk and move it from one machine to another,
> but there's literally like two or three such guys on the planet." Let's
> not ruin the experience for everyone for the sake of these three people.

In F12 through F16 it has been necessary to create a bootable USB removable
drive [typically flash media, but harddrive should work, too] that is intended
to be run on some other box, either directly or after copying the USB drive
to a harddrive on the other box. This was because the installer required
>=1GB RAM, while a machine with 512MB RAM [sometimes even 384MB RAM] was
a perfectly reasonable running system. Installing to USB removable media
was a workaround for unreasonably large RAM requirements of the installer.

Beginning in Fedora 17 the installer runs in 512MB RAM, so the primary
reason for the intermediate device is no more. Yet the ability to
create such an intermediate device, or more generally to do an install
to a "remote" drive, still is valuable for cases where there are issues
with connectivity, capacity, performance, etc. Old laptops come to mind.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:50 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 11:45 -0800, John Reiser wrote:
> Beginning in Fedora 17 the installer runs in 512MB RAM, so the primary
> reason for the intermediate device is no more. Yet the ability to
> create such an intermediate device, or more generally to do an install
> to a "remote" drive, still is valuable for cases where there are issues
> with connectivity, capacity, performance, etc. Old laptops come to mind.

And it still would be an option in this proposal. Just not the default.
We'd make it a little harder as to not snare the majority of folks who
really don't want an unwelcome surprise of a non-functioning laptop
after removing a seemingly innocuous USB stick.

~m

Old 02-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Máirín Duffy

On Mon, 2012-02-06 at 13:24 -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 06, 2012 at 13:21:38 -0600,
> David Lehman <dlehman@redhat.com> wrote:
> > My first thought is that you would choose the disk
> > you expect to actually boot from until something goes wrong, and we'll
> > handle the automatic install to the other members' disks' MBRs if /boot
> > ends up being on RAID1.
> >
> > Sound sensible?
>
> That sounds reasonable.

The designer peanut gallery agrees