Old 02-06-2012, 10:48 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Default looking for lxc rpm for centos 6.2 x86_64

Hi all

Just on a fresh CentOS 6.2 minimal install, it doesnt find lxc:
[mihamina@dev-spare ~]$ sudo yum install lxc
[...]
No package lxc available.
Error: Nothing to do
[mihamina@dev-spare ~]$ yum provides lxc-create
[...]
No Matches found

Well, I think this is not really a problem: there probably is a personal
packager that made his own lxc package and some people in here trust :-)

Which one would you recommend?
- http://goo.gl/8UXGh: MMmmm not rpm, just binaries...
- ... what else?

--
RMA.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:47 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/06/2012 11:48 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi all
>
> Just on a fresh CentOS 6.2 minimal install, it doesnt find lxc:
> [mihamina@dev-spare ~]$ sudo yum install lxc
I have a lxc stack that works for me, but till such time as I can test
it a bit more am hesitant to make it public. If you are happy to help
test the packages, do get in touch.

Rumour is still strong that RH will drop in a lxc in-distro soon ( but
then the same was being said pre6.1 and then again pre 6.2 )

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 02-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Barry Brimer

> On 02/06/2012 11:48 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> Hi all
>>
>> Just on a fresh CentOS 6.2 minimal install, it doesnt find lxc:
>> [mihamina@dev-spare ~]$ sudo yum install lxc
> I have a lxc stack that works for me, but till such time as I can test
> it a bit more am hesitant to make it public. If you are happy to help
> test the packages, do get in touch.
>
> Rumour is still strong that RH will drop in a lxc in-distro soon ( but
> then the same was being said pre6.1 and then again pre 6.2 )

According to the RHEL 6.2 Technical Notes at
<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html-single/6.2_Technical_Notes/index.html#kernel_issues>

Linux (NameSpace) Container [LXC]
Linux containers provide a flexible approach to application runtime
containment on bare-metal systems without the need to fully virtualize the
workload. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 provides application level
containers to separate and control the application resource usage policies
via cgroup and namespaces. This release introduces basic management of
container life-cycle by allowing creation, editing and deletion of
containers via the libvirt API and the virt-manager GUI. Linux Containers
are a Technology Preview.

Barry

Old 02-07-2012, 09:36 AM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/06/2012 01:44 PM, Barry Brimer wrote:
> workload. Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6.2 provides application level
> containers to separate and control the application resource usage policies

ah, interesting. I saw that + didnt see userland lxc tools and stopped
looking. On 6.2 virt --connect lxc:// works, so time to prod a bit and
see what falls out.

will post findings and maybe a walkthrough