Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 PM
Larry Martell

Default mysql won't start with service, but starts with mysqld_safe

Just installed mysql on centos 6.2. When I try to start it with service I get:

#service mysqld start
MySQL Daemon failed to start.
Starting mysqld: [FAILED]

Nothing at all is written to the error log.

But if I start it with mysqld_safe it comes up and works fine.

Anyone know what's going on here?

-larry

Old 02-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Tait Clarridge

On Sat, 2012-02-04 at 17:15 -0700, Larry Martell wrote:
> Just installed mysql on centos 6.2. When I try to start it with service I get:
>
> #service mysqld start
> MySQL Daemon failed to start.
> Starting mysqld: [FAILED]
>
> Nothing at all is written to the error log.
>
> But if I start it with mysqld_safe it comes up and works fine.
>
> Anyone know what's going on here?

Did it hang while trying to start? Or was it an immediate failure.