Old 02-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Boris Epstein

Default distributed storage/home-made cloud recommendations

Hello listmates,

This is not specifically CentOS-related - though I will probably execute
this design on CentOS if I decide to do so. It will certainly be some kind
of Linux.

At any rate, here's my situation. I would like to build a fairly large
storage solution (let us say, 100 TB). I want this solution to be
distributed and redundant. I want to be able to lose part of the machines
involved and still stay operational (the bigger part, the better). I would
prefer to avoid having to buy large servers to accomplish this task.

What I am soliciting here is thoughts, reports from experience,
recommendations, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Boris.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:31 PM

Boris Epstein writes:

> Hello listmates,
>
> This is not specifically CentOS-related - though I will probably execute
> this design on CentOS if I decide to do so. It will certainly be some kind
> of Linux.
>
> At any rate, here's my situation. I would like to build a fairly large
> storage solution (let us say, 100 TB). I want this solution to be
> distributed and redundant. I want to be able to lose part of the machines
> involved and still stay operational (the bigger part, the better). I would
> prefer to avoid having to buy large servers to accomplish this task.
>
> What I am soliciting here is thoughts, reports from experience,
> recommendations, etc.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Boris.

Hello Boris,

I'm in a similar search for a scalable and resilient solution. So far I like
glusterfs, relatively easy to setup, no meta-server required, decent
performance, but I haven't tested it thoroughly. Been playing with their
latest beta release in a raid0+1 setup; haven't managed to lose any data yet.

I'll also be interested in opinions from other people.

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 02-04-2012, 03:41 PM
Laurent Wandrebeck

Hi,

I'm happily running moosefs (packages available in rpmforge repo) for a
year and a half, 120TB, soon 200. So easy to setup and grow it's
indecent

Laurent.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:57 PM
Boris Epstein

> Hello Boris,
>
> I'm in a similar search for a scalable and resilient solution. So far I
> like
> glusterfs, relatively easy to setup, no meta-server required, decent
> performance, but I haven't tested it thoroughly. Been playing with their
> latest beta release in a raid0+1 setup; haven't managed to lose any data
> yet.
>
> I'll also be interested in opinions from other people.
>
> --
> Nux!
> www.nux.ro

Nux,

Thanks for your response. I have looked into glusterfs and I like it too. I
just haven't found the hardware to try it on.

What is RAID0+1? The flat RAID with one parity disk?

Boris.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:39 PM
Boris Epstein

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 11:41 AM, Laurent Wandrebeck
<l.wandrebeck@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm happily running moosefs (packages available in rpmforge repo) for a
> year and a half, 120TB, soon 200. So easy to setup and grow it's
> indecent
>
> Laurent.

Hello Laurent,

Thanks! Very useful info, I never even heard of MooseFS and it sounds very
nice.

One question: what happens if you lose your master server in their
designation? Or is it possible to make the master server redundant as well?

Boris.

Old 02-04-2012, 10:48 PM

Boris Epstein writes:

>> Hello Boris,
>>
>> I'm in a similar search for a scalable and resilient solution. So far I
>> like
>> glusterfs, relatively easy to setup, no meta-server required, decent
>> performance, but I haven't tested it thoroughly. Been playing with their
>> latest beta release in a raid0+1 setup; haven't managed to lose any data
>> yet.
>>
>> I'll also be interested in opinions from other people.
>>
>> --
>> Nux!
>> www.nux.ro

> Nux,
>
> Thanks for your response. I have looked into glusterfs and I like it too. I
> just haven't found the hardware to try it on.

I "tested" it on 4 VMs.. The performance was crap as expected, but wanted to
see how it behaves when I suddenly remove a node from the setup and so on.
(it went well, the setup froze for a second but after that kept working at
normal parameters)

> What is RAID0+1? The flat RAID with one parity disk?

No, I should've rephrased this, I meant the likes of raid10, of course, in
Glusterfs "speak". Basically I had 2 pairs of replicated nodes and files
stripped across all this.
I even ran a VM on top of this VM based glusterfs setup.. not the speediest
VM, but was usable. :-)

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 02-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Laurent Wandrebeck

Old 02-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Phil Schaffner

Boris Epstein wrote on 02/04/2012 11:57 AM:
> What is RAID0+1?

Nested RAID. Paraphrasing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID :

For a RAID 0+1, drives are first combined into multiple level 0 RAIDs
that are themselves treated as single drives to be combined into a
single RAID 1.

Phil

Old 02-05-2012, 02:37 PM
Boris Epstein

On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov
> wrote:

> Boris Epstein wrote on 02/04/2012 11:57 AM:
> > What is RAID0+1?
>
> Nested RAID. Paraphrasing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID :
>
> For a RAID 0+1, drives are first combined into multiple level 0 RAIDs
> that are themselves treated as single drives to be combined into a
> single RAID 1.
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil!

Old 02-05-2012, 05:30 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/05/2012 04:37 PM, Boris Epstein wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 5, 2012 at 10:32 AM, Phil Schaffner<Philip.R.Schaffner@nasa.gov
>> wrote:
>
>> Boris Epstein wrote on 02/04/2012 11:57 AM:
>>> What is RAID0+1?
>>
>> Nested RAID. Paraphrasing http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID :
>>
>> For a RAID 0+1, drives are first combined into multiple level 0 RAIDs
>> that are themselves treated as single drives to be combined into a
>> single RAID 1.

Google (or other search engine) and Wikipedia are truly a wonder

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...