-   -   upgrade centos 5 to 6 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/628713-upgrade-centos-5-6-a.html)

"fakessh @" 02-03-2012 09:11 PM

upgrade centos 5 to 6

upgrade question

is it possible to imagine during an upgrade from centos 5 to 6 to keep
the named directory /etc and /var unchanged if an update as simple as
possible.

can this be
--
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC2626742
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-key C2626742

http://urlshort.eu fakessh @
http://gplus.to/sshfake
http://gplus.to/sshswilting
http://gplus.to/john.swilting

Eero Volotinen 02-03-2012 09:17 PM

upgrade centos 5 to 6

Just take full backup and reinstall and then restore needed files from backup..

--
Eero

John R Pierce 02-03-2012 09:33 PM

upgrade centos 5 to 6

On 02/03/12 2:11 PM, fakessh @ wrote:
> is it possible to imagine during an upgrade from centos 5 to 6 to keep
> the named directory /etc and /var unchanged if an update as simple as
> possible.

as there are major version upgrades of almost every component that puts
files into those directories, that would be extremely sketchy at best.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

"fakessh @" 02-03-2012 09:43 PM

upgrade centos 5 to 6

Le vendredi 03 février 2012 à 14:33 -0800, John R Pierce a écrit :
> On 02/03/12 2:11 PM, fakessh @ wrote:
> > is it possible to imagine during an upgrade from centos 5 to 6 to keep
> > the named directory /etc and /var unchanged if an update as simple as
> > possible.
>
> as there are major version upgrades of almost every component that puts
> files into those directories, that would be extremely sketchy at best.

but possible
or I may strongly advises against

Phil Schaffner 02-04-2012 12:24 AM

upgrade centos 5 to 6

fakessh @ wrote on 02/03/2012 05:43 PM:
> but possible
> or I may strongly advises against
I would strongly advise against blindly overwriting /var and /etc (or
anything else, with the possible exception of /home) from a CentOS-6
install with CentOS-5 versions. Compare the files and make changes on a
case by case basis as required. More work but MUCH less chance of breakage.

Phil