Old 02-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Jerry Geis

Default install detecting disk as sdb not sda

On 02/03/2012 12:24 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am trying to install 6.2 on a machine.
> I am using PXE as I have done so a number of times.
>
> My hard disk is being detected as sdb and not sda.
> My kickstart config is wanting it at sda.
>
> There are no other disks in the unit. It has and SD slot and an esata
> although BIOS does not appear to have a disable for either of those
> devices.
>
> Is there anyway to "force" the disk to sda ?
> or find out what its detecting at sda and disable that from the PXE
> boot line?
>
> Doing " dmesg | grep sda" does say SCSI removable disk.
>
> So how can I tell linux to NOT include that when installing?
>
> Thanks,
>
> jerry
Using the kernel boot option "nousb" lets me install.
However, that also stops my usb keyboard from working.

I just need to know how to block the usb-storage driver from loading.
I tried "rdblacklist=usb-storage" but that did not work.

What am I missing? Thanks,

Jerry

Old 02-03-2012, 05:34 PM
wwp

Hello Jerry,

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:24:14 -0500 Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> I am trying to install 6.2 on a machine.
> I am using PXE as I have done so a number of times.
>
> My hard disk is being detected as sdb and not sda.
> My kickstart config is wanting it at sda.
>
> There are no other disks in the unit. It has and SD slot and an esata
> although BIOS does not appear to have a disable for either of those devices.
>
> Is there anyway to "force" the disk to sda ?
> or find out what its detecting at sda and disable that from the PXE boot
> line?
>
> Doing " dmesg | grep sda" does say SCSI removable disk.
>
> So how can I tell linux to NOT include that when installing?

I noticed that behaviour with my CentOS6 (installed and kept up-to-date
using yum). This happened since kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 and
furthers updates. Was working as expected (my laptop's hdd mounted as
sda) with previous kernels, up to kernel-2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.x86_64.

I wonder if that behaviour, and the *change* of behaviour is an issue
that should be reported, and how to handle it on installed systems!
For now, I'm either booting w/ no USB disk plugged, or booting
a 2.6.32-131 kernel.

wwp

Old 02-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Ross Walker

On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:34 PM, wwp <subscript@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Jerry,
>

> On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:24:14 -0500 Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
>
>> I am trying to install 6.2 on a machine.
>> I am using PXE as I have done so a number of times.
>>
>> My hard disk is being detected as sdb and not sda.
>> My kickstart config is wanting it at sda.
>>
>> There are no other disks in the unit. It has and SD slot and an esata
>> although BIOS does not appear to have a disable for either of those devices.
>>
>> Is there anyway to "force" the disk to sda ?
>> or find out what its detecting at sda and disable that from the PXE boot
>> line?
>>
>> Doing " dmesg | grep sda" does say SCSI removable disk.
>>
>> So how can I tell linux to NOT include that when installing?
>
> I noticed that behaviour with my CentOS6 (installed and kept up-to-date
> using yum). This happened since kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 and
> furthers updates. Was working as expected (my laptop's hdd mounted as
> sda) with previous kernels, up to kernel-2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.x86_64.
>
> I wonder if that behaviour, and the *change* of behaviour is an issue
> that should be reported, and how to handle it on installed systems!
> For now, I'm either booting w/ no USB disk plugged, or booting
> a 2.6.32-131 kernel.

You can try disabling USB disk support in the bios.

-Ross

Old 02-03-2012, 09:02 PM
wwp

Hello Ross,

On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 16:01:53 -0500 Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:34 PM, wwp <subscript@free.fr> wrote:
>
> > Hello Jerry,
> >

> > On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 12:24:14 -0500 Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I am trying to install 6.2 on a machine.
> >> I am using PXE as I have done so a number of times.
> >>
> >> My hard disk is being detected as sdb and not sda.
> >> My kickstart config is wanting it at sda.
> >>
> >> There are no other disks in the unit. It has and SD slot and an esata
> >> although BIOS does not appear to have a disable for either of those devices.
> >>
> >> Is there anyway to "force" the disk to sda ?
> >> or find out what its detecting at sda and disable that from the PXE boot
> >> line?
> >>
> >> Doing " dmesg | grep sda" does say SCSI removable disk.
> >>
> >> So how can I tell linux to NOT include that when installing?
> >
> > I noticed that behaviour with my CentOS6 (installed and kept up-to-date
> > using yum). This happened since kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 and
> > furthers updates. Was working as expected (my laptop's hdd mounted as
> > sda) with previous kernels, up to kernel-2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.x86_64.
> >
> > I wonder if that behaviour, and the *change* of behaviour is an issue
> > that should be reported, and how to handle it on installed systems!
> > For now, I'm either booting w/ no USB disk plugged, or booting
> > a 2.6.32-131 kernel.
>
> You can try disabling USB disk support in the bios.

Right, but I can't make such settings permanent, as I need to boot from
a USB disk from time to time, thus, entering BIOS and changing settings
costs more than unplugging stuff :-).

An aspect of the problem w/ that behaviour change introduced w/ recent
kernel updates, is that some mount mapping tables (fstab for instance)
are broken if they rely on mount order (sda, hda, etc.) instead of
device ID or label.

wwp

Old 02-03-2012, 09:31 PM
wwp

Hello Reindl,

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 23:19:26 +0100 Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 03.02.2012 23:02, schrieb wwp:
> > An aspect of the problem w/ that behaviour change introduced w/ recent
> > kernel updates, is that some mount mapping tables (fstab for instance)
> > are broken if they rely on mount order (sda, hda, etc.) instead of
> > device ID or label.
>
> if they are doing so they are broken all the time by design
>
> the last 10 years i saw no single machine not using LABEL and
> the last 4 years no single one not using UUID, even in my RAID10
> i can plug any disk whereever i want

Interesting.. my habits seem very old then :-).

A long time after setting up my CentOS6, I decided to create a
partition in extended area for my personal data, and to automount it at
boot.

This is done in fstab with:
/dev/sda8 /storage/data ext4 noatime,nodiratime 0 0
(see how I rely on sda, silly me!)

I grabbed the UUID from `lshal` and replaced it in fstab:
UUID=005374e2_5c18_437d_84d8_8069868fe54e ext4 noatime,nodiratime 0 0

.. no luck, it doesn't automount at boot. I think I'll have to
investigate or get another brain update.

wwp

Old 02-03-2012, 11:29 PM
Leonard den Ottolander

Hello wwp,

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 23:31 +0100, wwp wrote:
> I grabbed the UUID from `lshal` and replaced it in fstab:
> UUID=005374e2_5c18_437d_84d8_8069868fe54e ext4 noatime,nodiratime 0 0
>
> .. no luck, it doesn't automount at boot. I think I'll have to
> investigate or get another brain update.

Or just add the mount point to that entry .

Regards,
Leonard.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 PM
Ross Walker

On Feb 3, 2012, at 5:02 PM, wwp <subscript@free.fr> wrote:

> Hello Ross,
>

> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 16:01:53 -0500 Ross Walker <rswwalker@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:34 PM, wwp <subscript@free.fr> wrote:

>>> I noticed that behaviour with my CentOS6 (installed and kept up-to-date
>>> using yum). This happened since kernel kernel-2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 and
>>> furthers updates. Was working as expected (my laptop's hdd mounted as
>>> sda) with previous kernels, up to kernel-2.6.32-131.21.1.el6.x86_64.
>>>
>>> I wonder if that behaviour, and the *change* of behaviour is an issue
>>> that should be reported, and how to handle it on installed systems!
>>> For now, I'm either booting w/ no USB disk plugged, or booting
>>> a 2.6.32-131 kernel.
>>
>> You can try disabling USB disk support in the bios.
>
> Right, but I can't make such settings permanent, as I need to boot from
> a USB disk from time to time, thus, entering BIOS and changing settings
> costs more than unplugging stuff :-).
>
> An aspect of the problem w/ that behaviour change introduced w/ recent
> kernel updates, is that some mount mapping tables (fstab for instance)
> are broken if they rely on mount order (sda, hda, etc.) instead of
> device ID or label.

I remember faintly there was abway to specify module order in C5 modprobe and regenerate the initrd to make it persistent, but I don't think C6 uses modprobe. Maybe there is an initrd option under /etc/sysconfig.

Once that's done you can re-enable USB disk support in the BIOS.

-Ross

Old 02-04-2012, 05:06 PM
David G. Miller

wwp <subscript@...> writes:

> Hello Ross,
>
> On Fri, 3 Feb 2012 16:01:53 -0500 Ross Walker <rswwalker@...> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 3, 2012, at 1:34 PM, wwp <subscript@...> wrote:

<snip>

<snip>

> > You can try disabling USB disk support in the bios.
>
> Right, but I can't make such settings permanent, as I need to boot from
> a USB disk from time to time, thus, entering BIOS and changing settings
> costs more than unplugging stuff .
>
> An aspect of the problem w/ that behaviour change introduced w/ recent
> kernel updates, is that some mount mapping tables (fstab for instance)
> are broken if they rely on mount order (sda, hda, etc.) instead of
> device ID or label.
>
> Regards,

This seems to be BIOS dependent. I use an external USB hard disk as my portable
computer. On my personal laptop the external drive shows up as /dev/sdb even if
I boot from the external. If I recall correctly, it's /dev/sda on my work
laptop. Doing mounts using UUIDs means everything "just works" regardless of
drive lettering.

Bottom line is play with the BIOS settings. You may find a combination that
gets you the right drive letters and lets you boot from the USB when you need
to. On the other hand, my personal laptop BIOS "forgets" about the boot from
external USB drive if I boot with the drive not present. I have to go into the
BIOS and reset to boot from external the next time I try to use it.

Cheers,
Dave

Old 02-07-2012, 02:34 PM
wwp

Hello,

On Sat, 04 Feb 2012 01:29:31 +0100 Leonard den Ottolander <leonard@den.ottolander.nl> wrote:

> Hello wwp,
>
> On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 23:31 +0100, wwp wrote:
> > I grabbed the UUID from `lshal` and replaced it in fstab:
> > UUID=005374e2_5c18_437d_84d8_8069868fe54e ext4 noatime,nodiratime 0 0
> >
> > .. no luck, it doesn't automount at boot. I think I'll have to
> > investigate or get another brain update.
>
> Or just add the mount point to that entry .

Well, it still doesn't work w/ UUID= (the UUID is correct), but works
fine w/ LABEL=, I'm happy with this now.

wwp