Old 02-03-2012, 04:54 PM
Karanbir Singh

Default Building CentOS 6.2 custom install media

Hi Daniel,

On 02/03/2012 04:30 PM, Daniel Drake wrote:
> For the OLPC school server ("XS") we are planning to move from our
> dated F9 setup to CentOS 6.2. Thanks for all the effort involved in
> producing this distro.

Excellent news!

> One important part of this project is a 'respin' of the install media
> - we need to add a handful of packages from external repositories, and
> maybe run a command late in the install.
>
> Are the scripts/configurations used to produce the CentOS official
> CD/DVDs available? I guess this would be our most reliable/sensible
> starting point.
>
> I am familiar with pungi, kickstart, anaconda, etc, so just a simple
> git link would be enough to get me started.

We only use that scripts included in the anaconda-runtime stack - I'm
away to Fosdem this weekend ( are you guys around ? ) back in town on
Monday, would love to help you guys make this transition.

Essentially, the repo included on disk/in-media/in-mirror is a snapshot
in time from the buildsys, with a bunch of tests run against it and an
install image built around it. Depending on what you are trying to do
and what the most desirable goal might be, I'll be happy to help build a
process for that.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Daniel Drake

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:
> We only use that scripts included in the anaconda-runtime stack - I'm
> away to Fosdem this weekend ( are you guys around ? ) back in town on
> Monday, would love to help you guys make this transition.
>
> Essentially, the repo included on disk/in-media/in-mirror is a snapshot
> in time from the buildsys, with a bunch of tests run against it and an
> install image built around it. Depending on what you are trying to do
> and what the most desirable goal might be, I'll be happy to help build a
> process for that.

Thanks for the warm welcome and quick response! Have fun at FOSDEM,
unfortunately I don't think anyone from OLPC will be there.

I guess you're referring to the install DVD(s) here - which include
the entire contents of the mirror, makes sense.

In this case I think we want something more akin the minimal install
CD - a specific subset of the packages available, plus installer.
Could you point me towards the scripts used to build that?

To answer your question about the most desirable goal, I guess it is
something like this: we provide a kickstart file that lists the CentOS
repos and our own repo, with the "base" and "core" package groups
selected (plus our own packages listed too), and then we use a tool to
then download all the required packages (but no more), and compose
them onto an anaconda-based install CD.

I guess I have just described pungi there - and maybe that is our
answer. But I have yet to find a report of someone using pungi to
rebuild C6, and pungi is not included in RHEL/CentOS and isn't in EPEL
either. I'd welcome your input on the best way to achieve this.

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 02-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd@laptop.org> wrote:

> To answer your question about the most desirable goal, I guess it is
> something like this: we provide a kickstart file that lists the CentOS
> repos and our own repo, with the "base" and "core" package groups
> selected (plus our own packages listed too), and then we use a tool to
> then download all the required packages (but no more), and compose
> them onto an anaconda-based install CD.
>
> I guess I have just described pungi there - and maybe that is our
> answer. But I have yet to find a report of someone using pungi to
> rebuild C6, and pungi is not included in RHEL/CentOS and isn't in EPEL
> either. I'd welcome your input on the best way to achieve this.

Would the revisor tool from Scientific Linux work to spin CentOS?
http://www.scientificlinux.org/distributions/6x/build/sites

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 02-09-2012, 08:30 PM
Daniel Drake

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd@laptop.org> wrote:
> I guess I have just described pungi there - and maybe that is our
> answer. But I have yet to find a report of someone using pungi to
> rebuild C6, and pungi is not included in RHEL/CentOS and isn't in EPEL
> either. I'd welcome your input on the best way to achieve this.

I got pungi working. I took the latest F13 version from Fedora koji,
and had to install the 'file' package before it would produce an
bootable initramfs. From that point, it worked brilliantly.

Scripts (albeit simple) will be pushed to the xs-0.7 directory of
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-xs-builder within the next few
days.

Thanks,
Daniel