Old 02-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Daniel Drake

Default Building CentOS 6.2 custom install media

Hi,

For the OLPC school server ("XS") we are planning to move from our
dated F9 setup to CentOS 6.2. Thanks for all the effort involved in
producing this distro.

One important part of this project is a 'respin' of the install media
- we need to add a handful of packages from external repositories, and
maybe run a command late in the install.

Are the scripts/configurations used to produce the CentOS official
CD/DVDs available? I guess this would be our most reliable/sensible
starting point.

I am familiar with pungi, kickstart, anaconda, etc, so just a simple
git link would be enough to get me started.

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 02-03-2012, 04:10 PM
John Doe

From: Daniel Drake <dsd@laptop.org>
> One important part of this project is a 'respin' of the install media
> - we need to add a handful of packages from external repositories, and
> maybe run a command late in the install.
> Are the scripts/configurations used to produce the CentOS official
> CD/DVDs available? I guess this would be our most reliable/sensible
> starting point.
> I am familiar with pungi, kickstart, anaconda, etc, so just a simple
> git link would be enough to get me started.

If you are familiar with kickstarts, you do not need anything else...
Just write your kickstart and add it to either a DVD or a USB key or ...

For the DVD, something like this used to work in the past:
mount CentOS-*-bin-DVD.iso /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660 -o loop
cp -a /mnt/cdrom /tmp/cdrom
cd /tmp/cdrom
cp ks.cfg .
edit isolinux/isolinux.cfg:
* default linux ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg
chmod u+w isolinux/*
cd /tmp
mkisofs -o dvd.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T cdrom

JD

Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM
Daniel Drake

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:10 AM, John Doe <jdmls@yahoo.com> wrote:
> If you are familiar with kickstarts, you do not need anything else...
> Just write your kickstart and add it to either a DVD or a USB key or ...
>
> For the DVD, something like this used to work in the past:
> mount CentOS-*-bin-DVD.iso /mnt/cdrom -t iso9660 -o loop
> cp -a /mnt/cdrom /tmp/cdrom
> cd /tmp/cdrom
> cp ks.cfg .
> edit isolinux/isolinux.cfg:
> * default linux ks=cdrom:/ks.cfg
> chmod u+w isolinux/*
> cd /tmp
> mkisofs -o dvd.iso -b isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -R -J -v -T cdrom

The approach of taking the existing media and making incremental
modifications - I see.

However, we will need to modify the yum repo found on the media to add
our own packages, and it would also be preferable to remove the ones
that we are not interested in. This could be done by hand, but it
would be fiddly...

I presume the official CentOS 6.2 ISOs were not created in this
manner. It would be cleaner/nicer if we could adopt the official build
infrastructure (which I presume starts from zero), and this would
avoid the above complications.

Thanks,
Daniel