Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

Default configure network bridge listing bridged intefaces

Hi all,

Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
named br0.

Searching the web I only found about creating a file
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
explicitely list what ports will be bridged.

Where is it configured?

Thank you.

--
RMA.

Old 02-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Steve Clark

On 02/03/2012 08:07 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
> named br0.
>
> Searching the web I only found about creating a file
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
> explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
>
> Where is it configured?
>
> Thank you.

All packets appear on both interfaces, unless you use ebtables/iptables to restrict them.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*

Old 02-03-2012, 04:16 PM
Tait Clarridge

On Fri, 2012-02-03 at 16:07 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
> named br0.
>
> Searching the web I only found about creating a file
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
> explicitely list what ports will be bridged.

Do you mean bridging or bonding?

Bonding is where you are combining two NIC ports for speed or
reliability. Also known as link aggregation.

Old 02-04-2012, 03:53 AM
Robert Spangler

On Friday 03 February 2012 08:07, the following was written:

> Hi all,
>
> Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
> named br0.
>
> Searching the web I only found about creating a file
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
> explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
>
> Where is it configured?

Create your Bridge interface as you have found on the web. Remember you do
not have to label it as br0, you can label it any number you want.

After that is complete you just have to edit ifcfg-eth2 and ifcfg-eth3 to
switch them to be part of the bridge with the following:

<snip>
DEVICE=eth#
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br#
</snip>

If your configs have a 'HARDWARE=' leave that in there. the above should be
all you need. Remember to replace the '#' with the correct information.

Here is my config file for the interface connect to the bridge:

<snip>
# Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8110SC/8169SC Gigabit Ethernet
DEVICE=eth0
#BOOTPROTO=static
#BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
HWADDR=48:5B:39:2A:075
#IPADDR=192.168.1.100
#NETMASK=255.255.255.0
#NETWORK=192.168.1.0
ONBOOT=yes
BRIDGE=br0
</snip>

I would suggest that you only comment out the other lines by placing a '#' in
the front that way you can back out easy if there are any problem as I have
above.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a lifetime.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://linuxcounter.net/

Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 AM
Robert Spangler

On Friday 03 February 2012 09:10, the following was written:

> On 02/03/2012 08:07 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
> > named br0.
> >
> > Searching the web I only found about creating a file
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
> > explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
> >
> > Where is it configured?
> >
> > Thank you.
>
> All packets appear on both interfaces, unless you use ebtables/iptables to
> restrict them.

Really? Only hubs present packets to all interfaces. Linux work as a router
not a hub.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a lifetime.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://linuxcounter.net/

Old 02-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Ross Walker

On Feb 3, 2012, at 11:56 PM, Robert Spangler <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:

> On Friday 03 February 2012 09:10, the following was written:
>
>> On 02/03/2012 08:07 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
>>> named br0.
>>>
>>> Searching the web I only found about creating a file
>>> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
>>> explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
>>>
>>> Where is it configured?
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>
>> All packets appear on both interfaces, unless you use ebtables/iptables to
>> restrict them.
>
> Really? Only hubs present packets to all interfaces. Linux work as a router
> not a hub.

It would be intetesting to know if the bridging in Linux is routed, switched or repeated.

It would be nice if it were switched, but I suspect it's repeated (like a hub).

-Ross

Old 02-04-2012, 11:18 PM
Steve Clark

On 02/03/2012 11:56 PM, Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Friday 03 February 2012 09:10, the following was written:
>
>> On 02/03/2012 08:07 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > Having a 4 NIC server, I want to bridge eth2 and eth3, with a bridge
>> > named br0.
>> >
>> > Searching the web I only found about creating a file
>> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
>> > explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
>> >
>> > Where is it configured?
>> >
>> > Thank you.
>>
>> All packets appear on both interfaces, unless you use ebtables/iptables to
>> restrict them.
> Really? Only hubs present packets to all interfaces. Linux work as a router
> not a hub.

A network bridge connects multiple network segments at the data link layer (Layer 2) of the OSI model. In Ethernet networks, the term bridge formally means a device that behaves according to the IEEE 802.1D standard. A bridge and a switch are very much alike; a switch being a bridge with numerous ports. Switch or Layer 2 switch is often used interchangeably with bridge.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Robert Spangler

On Saturday 04 February 2012 19:18, the following was written:

> On 02/03/2012 11:56 PM, Robert Spangler wrote:

> >> All packets appear on both interfaces, unless you use
> >> ebtables/iptables to restrict them.
> >
> > Really? Only hubs present packets to all interfaces. Linux work as a
> > router not a hub.
>
> A network bridge connects multiple network segments at the data link layer
> (Layer 2) of the OSI model. In Ethernet networks, the term bridge formally
> means a device that behaves according to the IEEE 802.1D standard. A bridge
> and a switch are very much alike; a switch being a bridge with numerous
> ports. Switch or Layer 2 switch is often used interchangeably with bridge.

The OP was asking for help on configuring bridging. You reply made it sound
like it wasn't necessary as "All packets appear on both interfaces". That
statement is false unless it has been configured that way. Which at that
point in time we can assume that the OP hasn't configured it, thus the
question.

Nice textbook definition btw.

--

Regards
Robert

Linux
The adventure of a lifetime.

Linux User #296285
Get Counted
http://linuxcounter.net/

Old 02-05-2012, 07:00 PM
Steve Clark

On 02/05/2012 10:17 AM, Robert Spangler wrote:
> On Saturday 04 February 2012 19:18, the following was written:
>
>> On 02/03/2012 11:56 PM, Robert Spangler wrote:
>> > On Friday 03 February 2012 09:10, the following was written:

>> > Really? Only hubs present packets to all interfaces. Linux work as a
>> > router not a hub.
>>
>> A network bridge connects multiple network segments at the data link layer
>> (Layer 2) of the OSI model. In Ethernet networks, the term bridge formally
>> means a device that behaves according to the IEEE 802.1D standard. A bridge
>> and a switch are very much alike; a switch being a bridge with numerous
>> ports. Switch or Layer 2 switch is often used interchangeably with bridge.
> The OP was asking for help on configuring bridging. You reply made it sound
> like it wasn't necessary as "All packets appear on both interfaces". That
> statement is false unless it has been configured that way. Which at that
> point in time we can assume that the OP hasn't configured it, thus the
> question.
>
> Nice textbook definition btw.

Hi Robert,

I guess I misread his question - I thought he had the bridge setup and was asking about how to specify what tcp/udp ports would be bridged.
My bad.

Regards,
Steve

Old 02-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 02/03/2012 05:07 AM, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
> Searching the web I only found about creating a file
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-br0, but did not find where to
> explicitely list what ports will be bridged.
>
> Where is it configured?

For reference:

As far as I know, bridged networking is only really documented for
virtualization, but this link covers creation of a bridge and adding a
single interface to it, and disabling iptables for bridges:
http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Virtualization/sect-Virtualization-Network_Configuration-Bridged_networking_with_libvirt.html

You'd simply set up both eth2 and eth3 as eth0 is set up in that example.

The options available in ifcfg files are documented in:
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt