Old 02-03-2012, 03:15 AM
Bob Hoffman

Default new mysql installation, kinda stuck- sorta solved

after a few yum remove / reinstalls I got this working by doing the
following...

(not fully set up yet, just the very first step)

#yum install mysql mysql-server
#service mysqld start
#chkconfig --levels 235 mysqld on

#mysql --user=root -p
(this is not the syntax I would have normaly used, but only this seemed
to get past the hump)
<entered a password when it asked me too>
<ctrl-c out of mysql>

#mysql-secure-installation

it asked for password and I entered the new password.
It then said, okay, and asked if I wanted to change the password,
I did. (wanted a tough one).

then I finished the mysql-secure-installation questions.

Although secure-installation is set up to just hit enter on a new
install as no password has
yet been added, that results in an error 100% of the time.
Using a different syntax mysql -u root password <new password> resulted
in complete failure
when trying the mysql-secure-installation.

Trying to by pass the secure installation and what I would assume was
normal for adding the two root password commands (the one above and one
with the hostname and password) resulted in
failure (guess it is a new version with new stuff).

I am happy that mysql has finally automated that little 'wide open'
mysql server thing.
It was not smooth to do this though.

With a fresh install of mysql and the server the secureinstallation
script should have took <enter>
when I had no password. It does not (or not in my case)...wheee.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:22 AM

Bob Hoffman writes:

> after a few yum remove / reinstalls I got this working by doing the
> following...
>
> (not fully set up yet, just the very first step)
>
> #yum install mysql mysql-server
> #service mysqld start
> #chkconfig --levels 235 mysqld on
>
> #mysql --user=root -p

First time you log in you don't need "-p" as there is no password to input
yet. That's your first mistake. "mysql -u root" would've worked just as
good.

To avoid problems, after the install is done just execute
mysql-secure-installation which will guide you through setting up the root
password.

When you run into this kind of problems you can just remove or rename
/var/lib/mysql and restart the service, it should "reset" you back to
square one. Of course, make a backup first!

Cheerio

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 02-07-2012, 10:52 AM
Michael Simpson

On 3 February 2012 07:22, <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:
> Bob Hoffman writes:
>
> When you run into this kind of problems you can just remove or rename
> /var/lib/mysql and restart the service, it should "reset" you back to
> square one. Of course, make a backup first!

Sometimes you need to run mysql-db-install as well if you have del'd
all of the /var/lib/mysql/ directory

mike

Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 02/07/2012 11:52 AM, Michael Simpson wrote:
> Sometimes you need to run mysql-db-install as well if you have del'd
> all of the /var/lib/mysql/ directory

the init scripts should take care of that, as long as there is no
/var/lib/mysql present on the machine.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax