Old 02-02-2012, 09:48 PM
Mark LaPierre

Default Red Hat Extends Linux Support

Hey Y'all,

What do you think this means for CentOS long term support?

http://www.serverwatch.com/server-news/red-hat-extends-linux-support.html

--
_
/(_)

Old 02-02-2012, 09:57 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 02/02/2012 11:48 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> Hey Y'all,
>
> What do you think this means for CentOS long term support?
>
> http://www.serverwatch.com/server-news/red-hat-extends-linux-support.html

That CentOS team will have access to src.rpm's not fo r 7 but for 10 years.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Fri Feb 3 01:30:01 2012
Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2012 23:56:16 +0100
From: =?UTF-8?B?Q2jDrS1UaGFuaCBDaHJpc3RvcGhlciBOZ3V54buFbg==?=
<chithanh@gentoo.org>
To: gentoo-dev@lists.gentoo.org
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Packages masked for lack of maintainer, but metadata.xml says otherwise

Dear all,

there have been a number of packages masked lately due to lack of
maintainer. However, their metadata.xml does not list
maintainer-needed@g.o which I think should be the first step in
searching for a new maintainer. (The last being mask and treecleaning.)

The problem with this is that it keeps them off the radar[1] and also
formally prevents them from getting treatment from proxy-maintainers
or sunrise projects.

Is there anything that speaks against making metadata.xml tell the
truth? At least the following packages are affected:

# Markos Chandras <hwoarang@gentoo.org> (02 Feb 2012)
# Multiple security bugs: 284356, 341085, 369137, 384243, 401993
# No maintainer. Removal in 30 days
www-apps/twiki

# Andreas K. H=C3=BCttel <dilfridge@gentoo.org> (27 Jan 2012)
# Has developed into an unmaintainable mess, and everyone who
# knows about it is either retired or missing in action.
# Several minor bugs and one ugly security issues (#386271).
# Masked for removal because of lack of maintainer.
# Please try app-text/epdfview as light-weight replacement.
app-text/xpdf

# Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@gentoo.org> (26 Jan 2012)
# No support for stable TIFF 4.x wrt #400925 with multiple
# other issues wrt #297150, #356083, #335864 and #318485.
# Version bump request been open since 2011-03-30 wrt #361187
# Unless fixed, removal in 30 days
<net-misc/hylafax-6.0.5
x11-misc/tkhylafax

# Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto <jmbsvicetto@gentoo.org> (22 Jan 2012)
# Mask compiz for last-rites unless someone steps up
# to maintain it. Removal in 30 days.
dev-python/compizconfig-python
x11-apps/ccsm
x11-apps/fusion-icon
x11-apps/simple-ccsm
x11-libs/compiz-bcop
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-gconf
x11-libs/compizconfig-backend-kconfig4
x11-libs/libcompizconfig
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-extra
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-main
x11-plugins/compiz-plugins-unsupported
x11-themes/emerald-themes
x11-wm/compiz
x11-wm/compiz-fusion
x11-wm/emerald

Best regards,
Ch=C3=AD-Thanh Christopher Nguy=E1=BB=85n

[1] http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/treecleaners/maintainer-needed.xml

Old 02-02-2012, 10:00 PM
John R Pierce

On 02/02/12 2:48 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
> What do you think this means for CentOS long term support?
>
> http://www.serverwatch.com/server-news/red-hat-extends-linux-support.html

I'd guess that the CentOS team will be supporting EL5 for the additional
3 years, as long as RH makes the SRPM's readily available...

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 02-07-2012, 08:58 AM
Johnny Hughes

On 02/02/2012 05:00 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 02/02/12 2:48 PM, Mark LaPierre wrote:
>> What do you think this means for CentOS long term support?
>>
>> http://www.serverwatch.com/server-news/red-hat-extends-linux-support.html
> I'd guess that the CentOS team will be supporting EL5 for the additional
> 3 years, as long as RH makes the SRPM's readily available...

Correct ... if RH makes the SRPMS available for the entire period (and
they should), then CentOS will be built them for the entire period.

If RH were to make publicly available their EUS SRPMS
(http://www.redhat.com/products/enterprise-linux-add-ons/extended-update-support/),
then we would also build and release those. The EUS SRPMS are not
publicly available.

Remember, we (the CentOS Dev Team) use CentOS in production. That was
our major motivation to be in the project in the first place (to built
an enterprise distro that we can use).

We are all about providing a secure product for as long as possible ...