Old 01-31-2012, 11:29 AM
"Dvorkin, Asya"

Default libz.so.1 => not found

Hello,

We have an older AFS server, which was running Centos 5.5. It hasn't been updated in a while because of the plans to move it to another server, but it never happened.

Thus, we've decided to upgrade it to 5.7…

I did yum clean all and yum update. Everything ran smoothly and no issues. After the reboot, zlib.so.1 can no longer be found. /usr/lib64/zlib.so.1 is a symbolic link to /lib64/zlib.so.1, but the file does not exist. Because of this, ssh/yum/rpm do not work…

I've been googling, but can't find a solid answer. This is a production server and I need to have it up and running as soon as possible…

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Asya

Old 01-31-2012, 11:38 AM
"Dvorkin, Asya"

Sorry, i meant to say /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 is missing…

Thank you for all your help,
Asya

Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

This is what things look like on one of my systems:

[root@centos57 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5.7 (Final)
[root@centos57 ~]# ls -l /usr/lib64/libz.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jan 31 02:47 /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 ->
../../lib64/libz.so.1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jan 31 02:47 /usr/lib64/libz.so.1.2.3 ->
../../lib64/libz.so.1.2.3
[root@centos57 ~]# ls -l /lib64/libz.so*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 31 02:47 /lib64/libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.3
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83280 May 11 2011 /lib64/libz.so.1.2.3

If the symlink is missing you could try to manually recreate it.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 01-31-2012, 11:57 AM
"Dvorkin, Asya"

On Jan 31, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:

> This is what things look like on one of my systems:
>
> [root@centos57 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
> CentOS release 5.7 (Final)
> [root@centos57 ~]# ls -l /usr/lib64/libz.so*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jan 31 02:47 /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 ->
> ../../lib64/libz.so.1
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jan 31 02:47 /usr/lib64/libz.so.1.2.3 ->
> ../../lib64/libz.so.1.2.3
> [root@centos57 ~]# ls -l /lib64/libz.so*
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 31 02:47 /lib64/libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.3
> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83280 May 11 2011 /lib64/libz.so.1.2.3
>
> If the symlink is missing you could try to manually recreate it.
>
> Regards,
> Dennis

The problem is that the file itself is missing as well, so no way for me to recreate the link. Actually, libz.1.so.1.2.3 doesn't exist either.

I could try copying the file from another CentOS server, but wanted to hear everyone's opinion on that…

Thank you,
Asya

Old 01-31-2012, 12:00 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 01/31/2012 01:57 PM, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:

> The problem is that the file itself is missing as well, so no way for me to recreate the link. Actually, libz.1.so.1.2.3 doesn't exist either.
>
> I could try copying the file from another CentOS server, but wanted to hear everyone's opinion on that…

It is the only way besides getting the file from he servers backup, or
manually unpacking the rpm end extracting files.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 01-31-2012, 12:03 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 01/31/2012 01:57 PM, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:

> On Jan 31, 2012, at 7:45 AM, Dennis Jacobfeuerborn wrote:
>
>> This is what things look like on one of my systems:
>>
>> [root@centos57 ~]# cat /etc/redhat-release
>> CentOS release 5.7 (Final)
>> [root@centos57 ~]# ls -l /usr/lib64/libz.so*
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Jan 31 02:47 /usr/lib64/libz.so.1 ->
>> ../../lib64/libz.so.1
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 25 Jan 31 02:47 /usr/lib64/libz.so.1.2.3 ->
>> ../../lib64/libz.so.1.2.3
>> [root@centos57 ~]# ls -l /lib64/libz.so*
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 13 Jan 31 02:47 /lib64/libz.so.1 -> libz.so.1.2.3
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83280 May 11 2011 /lib64/libz.so.1.2.3
>>
>> If the symlink is missing you could try to manually recreate it.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Dennis
>
> The problem is that the file itself is missing as well, so no way for me to recreate the link. Actually, libz.1.so.1.2.3 doesn't exist either.
>
> I could try copying the file from another CentOS server, but wanted to hear everyone's opinion on that…

I'd say try that and as soon as you get yum/rpm working do a "yum reinstall
zlib" to get the files properly in place again.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 01-31-2012, 12:20 PM
"Dvorkin, Asya"

>> The problem is that the file itself is missing as well, so no way for me to recreate the link. Actually, libz.1.so.1.2.3 doesn't exist either.
>>
>> I could try copying the file from another CentOS server, but wanted to hear everyone's opinion on that…
>
> I'd say try that and as soon as you get yum/rpm working do a "yum reinstall
> zlib" to get the files properly in place again.

Thank you! I've copied the file using USB drive and now the server is up and running. I also did yum reinstall zlib.

Now when I do yum update, it says: No Packages marked for Update

If that's the case, how come /etc/redhat-release still shows CentOS release 5.5 (Final) ?

Asya

Old 01-31-2012, 01:04 PM
"Dvorkin, Asya"

> Thank you! I've copied the file using USB drive and now the server is up and running. I also did yum reinstall zlib.
>
> Now when I do yum update, it says: No Packages marked for Update
>
> If that's the case, how come /etc/redhat-release still shows CentOS release 5.5 (Final) ?
>
> Asya

I figured it out. Whoever was in charge of this server before me, added the following lines to CentOS-Base.repo

exclude=kernel kernel-devel kernel-PAE-*

Thank you all for your help!

Asya

Old 01-31-2012, 03:52 PM
John R Pierce

On 01/31/12 6:04 AM, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:
> I figured it out. Whoever was in charge of this server before me, added the following lines to CentOS-Base.repo
>
> exclude=kernel kernel-devel kernel-PAE-*

FWIW (about US$0.02 before inflation), when I've done that, its almost
always been because there was a proprietary kernel module on the system
that wouldn't get updated with the new kernel (and wasn't using that
auto-kernel-thing, whatever its called).

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 01-31-2012, 04:58 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 01/31/2012 05:52 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 01/31/12 6:04 AM, Dvorkin, Asya wrote:
>> I figured it out. Whoever was in charge of this server before me, added the following lines to CentOS-Base.repo
>>
>> exclude=kernel kernel-devel kernel-PAE-*
>
> FWIW (about US$0.02 before inflation), when I've done that, its almost
> always been because there was a proprietary kernel module on the system
> that wouldn't get updated with the new kernel (and wasn't using that
> auto-kernel-thing, whatever its called).

dkms

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)