Old 01-30-2012, 08:05 PM
Xinhuan Zheng

Default Quantum scalar i40 tape partitions

Hi All,

I have a Quantum scalar i40 tape library. I need to configure it to TWO tape partition libraries, e.g., library_a and library_b, so that each library has its own tape drive. Then connect this physical tape library to two different CentOS servers so that each server can see its own media changer and tape drive. I once had a successful configuration on one host but NOT on the other. One host sees the media changer and one tape drive, while the other host only sees the tape drive. After I delete tape partitions and re-create them both servers are totally screwed up. This is CentOS 5.7 kernel 2.6.18-274.

On one server:

# cat /proc/scsi/scsi
Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: HP Model: Ultrium 5-SCSI Rev: Z58Z
Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 06
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
Vendor: QUANTUM Model: Scalar i40-i80 Rev: 135G
Type: Medium Changer ANSI SCSI revision: 03

# mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 25
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
INQUIRY Command Failed

# mtx -f /dev/sg1 inquiry
mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 25
mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
INQUIRY Command Failed

On the other server:

tape drive (/dev/st0 not even present).

Can someone please help?

Thanks,

- xinhuan

Old 02-01-2012, 12:13 AM
David G. Miller

Xinhuan Zheng <xzheng@...> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I have a Quantum scalar i40 tape library. I need to configure it to TWO tape
partition libraries, e.g.,
> library_a and library_b, so that each library has its own tape drive. Then
connect this physical tape
> library to two different CentOS servers so that each server can see its own
media changer and tape drive. I
> once had a successful configuration on one host but NOT on the other. One host
sees the media changer and one
> tape drive, while the other host only sees the tape drive. After I delete tape
partitions and re-create
> them both servers are totally screwed up. This is CentOS 5.7 kernel 2.6.18-274.
>
> On one server:
>
> # cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> Vendor: HP Model: Ultrium 5-SCSI Rev: Z58Z
> Type: Sequential-Access ANSI SCSI revision: 06
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 01
> Vendor: QUANTUM Model: Scalar i40-i80 Rev: 135G
> Type: Medium Changer ANSI SCSI revision: 03
>
> # mtx -f /dev/sg0 inquiry
> mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 25
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
> INQUIRY Command Failed
>
> # mtx -f /dev/sg1 inquiry
> mtx: Request Sense: Long Report=yes
> mtx: Request Sense: Valid Residual=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error Code=70 (Current)
> mtx: Request Sense: Sense Key=Illegal Request
> mtx: Request Sense: FileMark=no
> mtx: Request Sense: EOM=no
> mtx: Request Sense: ILI=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Code = 25
> mtx: Request Sense: Additional Sense Qualifier = 00
> mtx: Request Sense: BPV=no
> mtx: Request Sense: Error in CDB=no
> mtx: Request Sense: SKSV=no
> INQUIRY Command Failed
>
> On the other server:
>
> tape drive (/dev/st0 not even present).
>
> Can someone please help?
>
> Thanks,
>
> - xinhuan

Some observations and some questions:

1) You would probably do better asking for this kind of help on a more
tape-centric or even Quantum specific forum.

2) If I read your description correctly, you have one tape changer with two
physical drives. You can partition the library but there is still only one
changer. That could be the problem.

3) You don't say how you attach the library to the servers. I'm guessing fibre
channel through a FC switch. Is this correct? With the correct software both
servers could end up seeing the library as their own this way.

4) You can try doing a "rmmod sg" followed by a "modprobe sg". This will result
in your systems resensing the SCSI bus.

Cheers,
Dave