Old 01-30-2012, 05:55 PM
Ryan Ivey

Default One of my servers wont boot today

> Can anyone provide advice on how to solve? I would think if I could get
> /etc/fstab edited back to normal I would be all set.

Yea, try a LiveCD and try mounting it there and make your adjustments to
/etc/fstab, although I don't think your addition of usrquota,grpquota is
the sole reason for this issue.

--
M. Ryan Ivey
www.initialss.com

Old 01-30-2012, 06:28 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 01/30/2012 07:28 PM, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:

>>> I am not familiar with that and 'man lvdisplay' does not show it as an option. Google for that turns up more results. Is it used with e2fsck, I dont see it there either.
>>
>> It's an option for most LVM commands. Do a "man lvdisplay" and look in the
>> SYNOPSIS section. Apparently most options lvdisplay understands aren't
>> actually listed in the OPTIONS section.
>
> Thanks.
>
> It does list out the volume information, what else should it do?

what does lvm lvscan says, are they active? if not, run "vgchange -a y
VolGroup-1" to activate them (temporary only, while using that
DVD/LiveDVD). it should activate that Volume Group and all Logical
Volumes in it. Now you can scan it wit fsck

Then you may need to mount it in some created folder (mkdir -p
/sysimage/LogVol00; mount /dev/VolGroup-1/LogVol00 /sysimage/LogVol00).

Check if your system had any updates (kernel in particular) between
reboots. Maybe something gone bad.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 01-30-2012, 10:43 PM
"Jason T. Slack-Moehrle"

Hi,

> > > It's an option for most LVM commands. Do a "man lvdisplay" and look in the
> > > SYNOPSIS section. Apparently most options lvdisplay understands aren't
> > > actually listed in the OPTIONS section.
> >

> > Thanks.
> >
> > It does list out the volume information, what else should it do?
>
> what does lvm lvscan says, are they active? if not, run "vgchange -a y
> VolGroup-1" to activate them (temporary only, while using that
> DVD/LiveDVD). it should activate that Volume Group and all Logical
> Volumes in it. Now you can scan it wit fsck
>
> Then you may need to mount it in some created folder (mkdir -p
> /sysimage/LogVol00; mount /dev/VolGroup-1/LogVol00 /sysimage/LogVol00).
>
> Check if your system had any updates (kernel in particular) between
> reboots. Maybe something gone bad.

I did vgchange -a y VolGroup00

and it activated 3 volumes

So I am trying to fsck and it comes up with the same super block error I had but I dont see how to fix it.

It says:

/dev/VolGroup00/. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

So I tried e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00

and it seems I get the same error coming up over and over

I tried:

fsck -y b=8193 /dev/VolGroup00 as well

Any thoughts?

-Jason

Old 01-30-2012, 10:49 PM
Kahlil Hodgson

On Mon, 2012-01-30 at 15:43 -0800, Jason T. Slack-Moehrle wrote:

> It says:
>
> /dev/VolGroup00/. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> So I tried e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00
>
> and it seems I get the same error coming up over and over
>
> I tried:
>
> fsck -y b=8193 /dev/VolGroup00 as well
>
> Any thoughts?

You need to fsck each logical volume, not the whole volume group, e.g.

e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01

or whatever.
Look under /dev/VolGroup00 to see what's there.

Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382
DealMax Pty Ltd (w) +61 (0) 3 9008 5281

Suite 1005
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer." -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925

Old 01-30-2012, 11:36 PM
"Jason T. Slack-Moehrle"

> > It says:
> >
> > /dev/VolGroup00/. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
> >
> > So I tried e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00
> >
> > and it seems I get the same error coming up over and over
> >
> > I tried:
> >
> > fsck -y b=8193 /dev/VolGroup00 as well
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> You need to fsck each logical volume, not the whole volume group, e.g.
>
> e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
sure, I thought of that too.

under /dev/VolGroup00 is LogVol00, LogVol01, LogVol02.

I do e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 and I get the same super block error above.

Same with LogVol01 and 02.

-Jason

Old 01-30-2012, 11:38 PM
"Jason T. Slack-Moehrle"

> > > It says:
> > >
> > > /dev/VolGroup00/. The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2 filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock: e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
> > >
> > > So I tried e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00
> > >
> > > and it seems I get the same error coming up over and over
> > >
> > > I tried:
> > >
> > > fsck -y b=8193 /dev/VolGroup00 as well
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> >
> > You need to fsck each logical volume, not the whole volume group, e.g.
> >
> > e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01
> sure, I thought of that too.
>
> under /dev/VolGroup00 is LogVol00, LogVol01, LogVol02.
>
> I do e2fsck -b 8193 /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 and I get the same super block error above.
>
> Same with LogVol01 and 02.
Forgot:

e2fsck: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open LogVol00

filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 AM
"Paul (GPR Support)"

You might try

# dumpe2fs /dev/<your device> | grep superblock

Then from this output - if you can get any - use one of the backup
superblocks with

#e2fsck -b <number from above output> /dev/VolGroup00/<logical volume>

Old 01-31-2012, 06:40 AM
"Paul (GPR Support)"

Another possible way of getting backup superblock info is with

# mke2fs -n /dev/<your device>

And then use this with

#e2fsck -b <backup block> /dev/<your device>

mke2fs with the -n switch, runs as though it would create a new filesystem
without actually writing anything to disk. So it tells you where it would
put the backup superblocks if it were to run in full filesystem creation
mode. This means that if you use different parameters from the ones used in
actually creating the file system to begin with, you may get the wrong
backup superblock info. Nothing should break by doing this anyway.