Old 01-17-2012, 09:40 PM
John R Pierce

Default Java+Tomcat on CentOS 6.x

So whats good practice for installing Java/JDK and Tomcat for EL6 these
days? The base repository included Tomcat6.6 is built with GCJ which
I'd rather avoid. I'm fine with using OpenJDK ... Do most folks just use
the Apache tarball for Tomcat and install it in a user directory or
/opt/something ?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 01-17-2012, 11:06 PM
Les Mikesell

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 4:40 PM, John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:
> So whats good practice for installing Java/JDK and Tomcat for EL6 these
> days? * The base repository included Tomcat6.6 is built with GCJ which
> I'd rather avoid. I'm fine with using OpenJDK ... Do most folks just use
> the Apache tarball for Tomcat and install it in a user directory or
> /opt/something ?

I didn't do anything special and ps says /usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java is
running it. And
/usr/lib/jvm/java/bin/java -version
says
java version "1.6.0_22"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.10.4) (rhel-1.42.1.10.4.el6_2-x86_64)

Maybe you do have to install java-1.6.0-openjdk if it hasn't been
pulled in by something else - and it should set alternatives to use
itself.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-18-2012, 02:18 AM
John Kienitz

----------------
We still like our customers to use the Oracle / Sun JDK, and the Apache tarball.

Our ops people recommend putting it all in /usr/local/ourcompany.* /opt is probably
a better place.

OpenJDK for Java 6 has issues, and I / we don't trust Java 7 of any flavor yet.

Tomcat 7 is good.

John Kienitz

Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM
Les Mikesell

On Tue, Jan 17, 2012 at 9:18 PM, John Kienitz <jkienitz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> OpenJDK for Java 6 has issues, and I / we don't trust Java 7 of any flavor yet.

What kind of problems should I expect from the stock openjdk?

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 AM
John Kienitz

I will have to dig thru our records, and see what we discovered.

I remember that Eclipse was flaky..

John Kienitz