Old 12-08-2011, 07:34 AM
Fabien Archambault

Default Netinstall wants to use wlan0

On 12/08/2011 09:11 AM, Jeff Gordon wrote:
> Hi, Folks --
>
> I'm setting up an Acer Aspire 5250 as a Christmas gift, CentOS 6 netinstall
> insists on trying to configure wlan0 but I'm using a wired DSL connection,
> consequently netinstall fails and only offers the option to Retry.
>
> How can I get it to bypass the wlan0 idea and go straight to eth0...?
>
> Thanks,

Hi,

I believe there is an hardware switch available to shutdown the wirless
on this laptop. If you disable it then no wlan0 can be used.

Fabien

Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 AM
Jeff Gordon

Hi, Fabien --

Thanks. :-) I removed two screws that seemed to be holding a cover in place
over the HD-and-memory compartment, but the cover remained pretty tightly in
place anyway. Dunno what I'm missing -- but if there's a switch in this laptop
I'd figure it must be in there. (?) Now what...

-- Jeff --

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 09:34:10AM +0100, Fabien Archambault wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 09:11 AM, Jeff Gordon wrote:
> > Hi, Folks --
> >
> > I'm setting up an Acer Aspire 5250 as a Christmas gift, CentOS 6 netinstall
> > insists on trying to configure wlan0 but I'm using a wired DSL connection,
> > consequently netinstall fails and only offers the option to Retry.
> >
> > How can I get it to bypass the wlan0 idea and go straight to eth0...?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> Hi,
>
> I believe there is an hardware switch available to shutdown the wirless
> on this laptop. If you disable it then no wlan0 can be used.
>
> Fabien

-- Jeff -- <http://www.wellnow.com>

"There's nothing left in the world to prove. All that's worth doing
is to love one another, using whatever means are available to serve."

Old 12-08-2011, 07:53 AM
Bert Koerperich

On 12/08/2011 09:34 AM, Fabien Archambault wrote:
> On 12/08/2011 09:11 AM, Jeff Gordon wrote:
>> Hi, Folks --
>>
>> I'm setting up an Acer Aspire 5250 as a Christmas gift, CentOS 6 netinstall
>> insists on trying to configure wlan0 but I'm using a wired DSL connection,
>> consequently netinstall fails and only offers the option to Retry.
>>
>> How can I get it to bypass the wlan0 idea and go straight to eth0...?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
> Hi,
>
> I believe there is an hardware switch available to shutdown the wirless
> on this laptop. If you disable it then no wlan0 can be used.
>
> Fabien
Hi Jeff,
or try to open a console and disable the WLAN interface (ifconfig wlan0
down), and set the default route to the ETH interface (route add default
eth0).
Cheers, Bert.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:58 AM
John R Pierce

On 12/08/11 12:52 AM, Jeff Gordon wrote:
> Thanks. :-) I removed two screws that seemed to be holding a cover in place
> over the HD-and-memory compartment, but the cover remained pretty tightly in
> place anyway. Dunno what I'm missing -- but if there's a switch in this laptop
> I'd figure it must be in there. (?) Now what...

no, those wireless enabled/disabled switches are either external, or
more frequently, a special keyboard hotkey combination, like Fn + F2 on
my dells.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 12-08-2011, 08:13 AM
Jeff Gordon

Hi, Bert --

Thanks. :-) Doesn't seem to be an opportunity or way to open a console
before this problem comes up, with netinstall. I just scanned to see if
there might be a kernel parameter for it; doesn't seem to be.

-- Jeff --

Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 AM
Bert Koerperich

On 12/08/2011 10:13 AM, Jeff Gordon wrote:
> Hi, Bert --
>
> Thanks. :-) Doesn't seem to be an opportunity or way to open a console
> before this problem comes up, with netinstall. I just scanned to see if
> there might be a kernel parameter for it; doesn't seem to be.
>
> -- Jeff --
>
> On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 09:53:42AM +0100, Bert Koerperich wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I believe there is an hardware switch available to shutdown the wirless
>>> on this laptop. If you disable it then no wlan0 can be used.
>>>
>>> Fabien
>> Hi Jeff,
>> or try to open a console and disable the WLAN interface (ifconfig wlan0
>> down), and set the default route to the ETH interface (route add default
>> eth0).
>> Cheers, Bert.
Hi Jeff,
then sorry for this
I have to admit that I up to now only installed other linux-distribs and
there has been always a way to open a console via alt-f1, or f2 etc pp.
Cheers, Bert.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Tom De Vylder

Hi Jeff,

You can use Alt + F3 or Alt + F4 once you're inside the installer to open a console.
If you disable the wlan0 interface before the network part of the installer you should be ok.

Regards,
Tom

Old 12-08-2011, 08:38 AM
Jeff Gordon

Hi, John --

Thanks. :-) Looks like it'd be Fn + F3 on this one, but I suspect they set
it up to work that way with Windows. There's no light to be seen anywhere,
and pressing it made no difference to CentoOS netinstall.

-- Jeff --

Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 12/08/2011 10:13 AM, Jeff Gordon piše:
> Hi, Bert --
>
> Thanks. :-) Doesn't seem to be an opportunity or way to open a console
> before this problem comes up, with netinstall. I just scanned to see if
> there might be a kernel parameter for it; doesn't seem to be.
>
> -- Jeff --

Jeff, can you please write bellow our responses? So we can follow your
thread from up to down not jump up and down. thanks.

Do you have User Guide Manual for your Notebook? Here it is:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Document/QuickStartGuide/QuickStartGuide_Acer_1.0_A_A.zip?acerid=6344085139 67391857&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE% 205250&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_7

On page 7 it says:

<Fn> + <F3> Communication Enables/disables the computer’s
communication devices.

<Fn> key is blue and on lower left side of the keyboard.

There should be 3-4-presses cycle. It will turn on and off both WiFi and
Bluethooth (if installed) devices and, individually and both at the same
time.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 12/08/2011 10:38 AM, Jeff Gordon piše:
> Hi, John --
>
> Thanks. :-) Looks like it'd be Fn + F3 on this one, but I suspect they set
> it up to work that way with Windows. There's no light to be seen anywhere,
> and pressing it made no difference to CentoOS netinstall.

Netinstall will not be able to see the change while loaded. You should
try changing on/off once, and the boot netinstall again.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...