Old 11-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Mathieu Baudier

Default Having less languages in Firefox (hunspell dictionaries provide too many locales)

Hello,

on CentOS 6, I am routinely writing mails in English, German and
French and using the related hunspell dictionaries for the spelling in
Firefox (I'm using Google Apps).

This works fine but the problem is that languages are added for all
the possible locales (English US, UK, Philippines, Bostwana, Trinidad
and Tobago, Denmark (sic!), ... and German Germany, Austria... and
French France, Canada, Belgium...).

So each time I want to switch from one language to the other (which
sometimes happens every few minutes), I need to choose in a very long
list (with non-deterministic ordering).
First I thought it was no big deal, but with time I realize this is a
loss of time and concentration which while not big is recurrent.

Does anybody knows how I could reduce the list to English UK, German
Germany and French France?
(no offence to the other locales)

An option would be to uninstall the hunspell dictionaries and install
the dictionaries manually as Firefox addons, but I find it nice to
have them provided by the base OS, and anyhow, I don't think that it
is possible for English.

Thanks in advance,

Mathieu

Old 11-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Johnny Hughes

On 11/21/2011 06:43 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on CentOS 6, I am routinely writing mails in English, German and
> French and using the related hunspell dictionaries for the spelling in
> Firefox (I'm using Google Apps).
>
> This works fine but the problem is that languages are added for all
> the possible locales (English US, UK, Philippines, Bostwana, Trinidad
> and Tobago, Denmark (sic!), ... and German Germany, Austria... and
> French France, Canada, Belgium...).
>
> So each time I want to switch from one language to the other (which
> sometimes happens every few minutes), I need to choose in a very long
> list (with non-deterministic ordering).
> First I thought it was no big deal, but with time I realize this is a
> loss of time and concentration which while not big is recurrent.
>
> Does anybody knows how I could reduce the list to English UK, German
> Germany and French France?
> (no offence to the other locales)
>
> An option would be to uninstall the hunspell dictionaries and install
> the dictionaries manually as Firefox addons, but I find it nice to
> have them provided by the base OS, and anyhow, I don't think that it
> is possible for English.

You are talking to the wrong people ... we build it exactly like it is
built for upstream. It works just like in the RHEL sources, so that is
how it is supposed to work.

I agree that it sucks though.

Old 11-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> You are talking to the wrong people ... we build it exactly like it is
> built for upstream. *It works just like in the RHEL sources, so that is
> how it is supposed to work.

I'm aware of that, I'm just asking if somebody knows a workaround or a
way to hack this away.

(I'm already thinking of one hack:
sudo cp -p /usr/share/myspell/fr_FR.* /tmp
sudo rm -f /usr/share/myspell/fr_*
sudo cp -p /tmp/fr_FR.* /usr/share/myspell/
but was wondering if there is not something cleaner, like a Firefox config)

Next step would indeed be to book a ticket in upstream bugzilla
(haven't found any so far).

Old 11-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Thomas Johansson

On 2011-11-21 13:43, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on CentOS 6, I am routinely writing mails in English, German and
> French and using the related hunspell dictionaries for the spelling in
> Firefox (I'm using Google Apps).
>
> This works fine but the problem is that languages are added for all
> the possible locales (English US, UK, Philippines, Bostwana, Trinidad
> and Tobago, Denmark (sic!), ... and German Germany, Austria... and
> French France, Canada, Belgium...).
>
> So each time I want to switch from one language to the other (which
> sometimes happens every few minutes), I need to choose in a very long
> list (with non-deterministic ordering).
> First I thought it was no big deal, but with time I realize this is a
> loss of time and concentration which while not big is recurrent.
>
> Does anybody knows how I could reduce the list to English UK, German
> Germany and French France?
> (no offence to the other locales)

Most of the dictionaries are symlinks from other basefiles. I have used
these lines in my postinstall to remove dictionaries

echo "Remove excessive spell checking lists"
cd /usr/share/myspell
find . -type l -exec rm {} ;
m -f de_AT.* de_CH.* en_CA.* ko_KR.*

That will give you a much smaller list of dictionaries in thunderbird.

ls -1 /usr/share/myspell/*.dic
/usr/share/myspell/de_DE.dic
/usr/share/myspell/en_GB.dic
/usr/share/myspell/en_US.dic
/usr/share/myspell/fr_FR.dic
/usr/share/myspell/it_IT.dic
/usr/share/myspell/sv_SE.dic

Remove more stuff if you want a shorter list. Just add sv_SE.* and
it_IT.* to the rm line to remove swedish and italian dictionaries. The
drawback of this solution is obvious when an update arrives and the list
become populated again.

/Thomas

Old 11-21-2011, 02:20 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/21/2011 01:43 PM, Mathieu Baudier piše:

> on CentOS 6, I am routinely writing mails in English, German and
> French and using the related hunspell dictionaries for the spelling in
> Firefox (I'm using Google Apps).
<snio>
> Does anybody knows how I could reduce the list to English UK, German
> Germany and French France?
> (no offence to the other locales)

Try installing Quick Locale Switcher Firefox Add-on. Then in options
change what locales you actually want. I hope it helps.

Also, does removing language from Add-ons in Firefox help? You should be
able to disable/deinstall any installed language.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> Most of the dictionaries are symlinks from other basefiles. I have used
> these lines in my postinstall to remove dictionaries
>
> echo "Remove excessive spell checking lists"
> cd /usr/share/myspell
> find . -type l -exec rm {} ;

m -f de_AT.* de_CH.* en_CA.* ko_KR.*

> That will give you a much smaller list of dictionaries in thunderbird.

Thanks a lot, exactly what I needed.
It worked fine.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:09 PM
Mathieu Baudier

> Also, does removing language from Add-ons in Firefox help? You should be
> able to disable/deinstall any installed language.

No, only "English (GB)" shows up in the Firefox Addons (this is my locale)