-   -   Setting up a Virtual Machine (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/600661-setting-up-virtual-machine.html)

"John J. Boyer" 11-20-2011 09:45 PM

Setting up a Virtual Machine

I have CentOS 5.7. How would I go about setting up a virtual machine so
as to run another Linux distro on top of it? Specifically Scientific
Linux or Vinux, a special distro for blind users. I will be using the
latter to test my BrailelBlaster software with gtk and the Orca
screenreader. Will I have to assign memory to the VM permanently?

Thanks,
John

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA

John R Pierce 11-20-2011 09:54 PM

On 11/20/11 2:45 PM, John J. Boyer wrote:
> I have CentOS 5.7. How would I go about setting up a virtual machine so
> as to run another Linux distro on top of it? Specifically Scientific
> Linux or Vinux, a special distro for blind users. I will be using the
> latter to test my BrailelBlaster software with gtk and the Orca
> screenreader. Will I have to assign memory to the VM permanently?

imho, the easiest way to do this would be to install VirtualBox. the
memory assigned to the VM is only in use when the VM is active, you can
'standby' a virtualbox and it releases all its resources, then resume it
at another time.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

"John J. Boyer" 11-21-2011 12:29 AM

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 02:54:34PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:

> imho, the easiest way to do this would be to install VirtualBox.

So I tried to install the latest version of VirtualBox from
virtualbox.org It turned out that it deleted a previous version, which I
suppose was provided with CentOS and then couldn't install itself. The
error lmessage said it could not find the kernel source. What should I
do now?

John

> memory assigned to the VM is only in use when the VM is active, you can
> 'standby' a virtualbox and it releases all its resources, then resume it
> at another time.
>

> --
> john r pierce N 37, W 122
> santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA

Reindl Harald 11-21-2011 12:32 AM

Am 21.11.2011 02:29, schrieb John J. Boyer:
> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 02:54:34PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> imho, the easiest way to do this would be to install VirtualBox.
>
> So I tried to install the latest version of VirtualBox from
> virtualbox.org It turned out that it deleted a previous version, which I
> suppose was provided with CentOS and then couldn't install itself. The
> error lmessage said it could not find the kernel source. What should I
> do now?

"yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel"
such software needs usually to compile kernel-modules

Trey Dockendorf 11-21-2011 01:52 AM

Setting up a Virtual Machine

On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM, John J. Boyer <john.boyer@abilitiessoft.com
> wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2011 at 02:54:34PM -0800, John R Pierce wrote:
>
> > imho, the easiest way to do this would be to install VirtualBox.
>
> So I tried to install the latest version of VirtualBox from
> virtualbox.org It turned out that it deleted a previous version, which I
> suppose was provided with CentOS and then couldn't install itself. The
> error lmessage said it could not find the kernel source. What should I
> do now?
>
> John
>
> > memory assigned to the VM is only in use when the VM is active, you can
> > 'standby' a virtualbox and it releases all its resources, then resume it
> > at another time.
> >

> > --
> > john r pierce N 37, W 122
> > santa cruz ca mid-left coast

> Abilitiessoft, Inc.
> http://www.abilitiessoft.com
> Madison, Wisconsin USA

For Virtualbox this article may be helpful,
http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-virtualbox-with-yum-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/

"John J. Boyer" 11-21-2011 01:58 AM

On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 02:32:18AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> "yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel"
> such software needs usually to compile kernel-modules
Both packages are already installed.

John

Abilitiessoft, Inc.
http://www.abilitiessoft.com
Madison, Wisconsin USA

John Hodrien 11-21-2011 09:11 AM

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, John J. Boyer wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 02:32:18AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>
>> "yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel"
>> such software needs usually to compile kernel-modules
> Both packages are already installed.

Do they match the version of your running kernel?

jh

Reindl Harald 11-21-2011 09:29 AM

Am 21.11.2011 11:11, schrieb John Hodrien:
> On Mon, 21 Nov 2011, John J. Boyer wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Nov 21, 2011 at 02:32:18AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
>>>
>>> "yum install kernel-headers kernel-devel"
>>> such software needs usually to compile kernel-modules
>> Both packages are already installed.
>
> Do they match the version of your running kernel?

output of "uname -a" and "rpm -qa | grep kernel" would be helpful

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 11-21-2011 02:38 PM

Vreme: 11/21/2011 03:52 AM, Trey Dockendorf piše:
> For Virtualbox this article may be helpful,
> http://www.if-not-true-then-false.com/2010/install-virtualbox-with-yum-on-fedora-centos-red-hat-rhel/
+1,

this is best way to install Virtualbox and keep it updated. Just notice
that when 4.2.0 comes out, you will need to watch out for new release,
deinstall current version and install 4.2.0, since upgrade to minor
version is not supported. Updates to 4.1.x are via yum update.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...