Old 11-18-2011, 08:55 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Default External HDD query

Greetings,

I have a USB external 2TB HDD with one NTFS partition which is to be
used for backup up from about 5-8 workstations (all Win*) all are shut
down when the office is closed

I am playing around with Amanda server on Centos 5.7.

(It is over 3 years since I last implemented Amanda for about 50
workstations mostly Fedora and couple of XP boxes -- it sang and
danced quite nicely.)

Now the issue I have is:
1. I want the External HDD to appear at another mountpoint than the
/media/<HDDLabel> persistantly on the centos box..
2. How do I ensure that amanda starts and completes its backup say
between 0800hrs and 1900hrs. (/ducks -- I _know_ it is amanda
related, I am crosing my fingers here)
3. Is Amanda really a good choice or an overkill in this scenario,
given that this is a small s/w development shop where linux expertise
is *not* available?
4. Is there an alternate simpler automatic network backup? (Bacula too
seems overkill)
5. Amanda is in its 3.x avatar ("The most recent stable release is
version 3.3.0"). Whereas Centos 5.x yum install yeilded (I dont know
from where) amanda-server-2.5.0p2-8.el5 which -- as is usually
expected -- a bit dated
6. The Windows client is 3.1.3. Will the ancient server and shining
new client play nicely?
7. Is there a howto using rsync/rdiff given that Windows Scheduler is
not exactly like our trusty, mature cron.

The centos wiki on this matter is, well, a tad old.

Surely the Centos server, which I introduced, in this shop is going to
stay and will not go away.

Of course RDIFF and other things are valid provided I have another Centos box.

Any answers appreciated.

TIA

Rajagopal

Old 11-18-2011, 12:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 3:55 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
<raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

> 3. Is Amanda really a good choice or an overkill in this scenario,
> given that this is a small s/w development shop where linux expertise
> is *not* available?
> 4. Is there an alternate simpler automatic network backup? (Bacula too
> seems overkill)

Look at backuppc. It has a nice web interface to manage it and
browse/restore backups and it compresses and pools identical content
to hold much more online than you would expect. It is all controlled
from the linux side and can work with windows either over smb or you
can install cygwin rsync to save bandwidth. You would want to format
the drive with a linux filesystem, though.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
> Look at backuppc. *It has a nice web interface to manage it and
> browse/restore backups and it compresses and pools identical content
> to hold much more online than you would expect. * It is all controlled
> from the linux side and can work with windows either over smb or you
> can install cygwin rsync to save bandwidth.

Thanks a million for that!

> You would want to format the drive with a linux filesystem, though.

Now, that is a typical dilemma that any sysadmin (a lowly and not so
respected Job in India), and I can't do that that is a constraint as
this external HDD is supposed to be connected for recovery on a
(horror of horrors! - winx node in case the centos node fails --
nevermind the neat li'l tar format -- coz everybody in this scenario
is afraid of Centos. Well gimme a week. I have at least one Centos box
[the elephant in the china shop] to fight with and turn them around
)

With warm regards and best wishes,

Rajagopal

Old 11-18-2011, 01:49 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Look at backuppc. *It has a nice web interface to manage it and
>> browse/restore backups and it compresses and pools identical content
>> to hold much more online than you would expect. * It is all controlled
>> from the linux side and can work with windows either over smb or you
>> can install cygwin rsync to save bandwidth.

BTW, how may persondays it would require on a Centos 5.7 box to
master? I have squandered away about 75% of available time (of about 2
person days). Amanda, IMHO, requires about 1 person week to deploy
initially and about 2 person weeks to get sign-off: am I right about
it? or am I inefficient (the "in about 15-minute" is a myth with
Centos 5.x maybe truth with Centos 6 -- I dunno)?

There is a External NTFS partition which will be carried away and the
whole shop is powered off at about 2000hrs.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 18.11.2011 15:49, schrieb Rajagopal Swaminathan:
> BTW, how may persondays it would require on a Centos 5.7 box to
> master? I have squandered away about 75% of available time (of about 2
> person days). Amanda, IMHO, requires about 1 person week to deploy
> initially and about 2 person weeks to get sign-off: am I right about
> it? or am I inefficient (the "in about 15-minute" is a myth with
> Centos 5.x maybe truth with Centos 6 -- I dunno)?
>
> There is a External NTFS partition which will be carried away and the
> whole shop is powered off at about 2000hrs.

a) NTFS is running over fuse and is not so efficient
b) how is the disk connected? USB is simply slow

normally i would do this on a eSATA with ext4 or if possible on
an internal disk and after the source machine is up again you
have all time of the world to bring the data on whatever medium

the same for init mysql-replications
1. local rsync while service is up
2. service stop
3. local rsync the get the differences
4. service start
5. now you are up and have a consistent backup

Old 11-18-2011, 02:40 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
<raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

>> You would want to format the drive with a linux filesystem, though.
>>

> Now, that is a typical dilemma that any sysadmin (a lowly and not so
> respected Job in India), and I can't do that that is a constraint as
> this external HDD is supposed to be connected for recovery on a
> (horror of horrors! - winx node in case the centos node fails --
> nevermind the neat li'l tar format -- coz everybody in this scenario
> is afraid of Centos. Well gimme a week. I have at least one Centos box
> [the elephant in the china shop] to fight with and turn them around
> )

Install VMware player on one or more of the windows boxes. Make a
Centos image with backuppc installed and make a few copies of it.
>From there it is a couple of mouse-clicks to have Centos running with
a USB device attached to the VM guest. I have this myself on a laptop
with one of those generic USB to IDE/SATA cable adapters for whenever
I want to access Linux-formatted disks without having to reboot into
linux. You might even be able to use the VMware converter tool to
turn an already-installed physical machine into a VM image, but I've
had more luck doing that with windows machines because I usually
install Centos on RAID or with a custom disk layout the converter
doesn't understand.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan
<raju.rajsand@gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 7:14 PM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Look at backuppc. *It has a nice web interface to manage it and
>>> browse/restore backups and it compresses and pools identical content
>>> to hold much more online than you would expect. * It is all controlled
>>> from the linux side and can work with windows either over smb or you
>>> can install cygwin rsync to save bandwidth.
>
> BTW, how may persondays it would require on a Centos 5.7 box to
> master?

The second time you install it will take about 15 minutes using the
EPEL package and having the archive disk mounted under
/var/lib/BackupPC (or with a symlink there to the real mount) before
the install so everything lands in the right place. The first time
will depend on how much you already know about the underlying concepts
and tools.

> I have squandered away about 75% of available time (of about 2
> person days). Amanda, IMHO, requires about 1 person week to deploy
> initially and about 2 person weeks to get sign-off: am I right about
> it? or am I inefficient (the "in about 15-minute" is a myth with
> Centos 5.x maybe truth with Centos 6 -- I dunno)?

It depends on how much you want to know about it, and whether you
decide to install cygwin rsync on the windows targets or just use
samba against the hidden admin shares (C$, etc.). For the initial
setup with the EPEL package the only tricky part is adding the web
password for the admin user and possibly others if you want logins
restricted to seeing only certain hosts. See the comments in
/etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf about that.

The docs are at http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/faq/BackupPC.html but
you should be able to do all necessary configuration from the web
interface after the packaged install, and if you are adding several
similar targets, just get the first one right and add the others with
'newhost=oldhost' from the 'edit hosts' link on the web page to copy
the configs.

> There is a External NTFS partition which will be carried away and the
> whole shop is powered off at about 2000hrs.

Backuppc uses hardlinks extensively so you'll want that to be ext3,
not ntfs, and I'd highly recommend rotating a set of 2 or 3 different
disks so you always have a good one offsite. I use a slighly odd
raid-mirroring setup myself but it's fairly cumbersome to manage. In
any case you need some sort of script to stop the backuppc service and
unmount the drive before removing it, and the reverse when replacing,
and backuppc has a nightly cleanup process that has to run, so you may
have to adjust the timing for it.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Les Mikesell

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell@gmail.com> wrote:
>*For the initial
> setup with the EPEL package the only tricky part is adding the web
> password for the admin user and possibly others if you want logins
> restricted to seeing only certain hosts. *See the comments in
> /etc/httpd/conf.d/BackupPC.conf about that.

I forgot one step there - you also need to edit
/etc/BackupPC/config.pl to add the that web login user name to
$Conf{CgiAdminUsers}. If you don't log in with a name that matches,
you don't see much in the web interface.

And if you want the email warnings about failed backups to work you'll
probably need to add a SMART_HOST setting to /etc/mail/sendmail.mc -
but that's not really specific to backuppc.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com