Old 11-17-2011, 12:32 AM
fred smith

Default the majority will NEVER use smartphones

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 02:03:58AM +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 17.11.2011 01:42, schrieb Timothy Murphy:
> > Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> >
> >> If no smartphones gets broken and/or replaced, they could reach number
> >> of PC users (50%) in one year. Realistically it will take them 2-3 years
> >> to reach those numbers.
> >>
> >> BUT, I have 2 phones (one of them is Android), 1 desktop PC and 1
> >> laptop. And 95-97% of internet usage I perform on Desktop PC.
> >
> > Unless maybe you are not typical ...
>
> do you really think that the majority of users will ever use smatphones/pads?
> do anybody really think that the majority of users are homeusers which are
> only use a webbrowser and some small games?
>
> nice, most of use will use it on the road but not as main-device!
>
> the majority of users was and will be desktop users or will you explain
> anybody that you ever will use GIMP, Office and even business users which
> are the REAL majority take a smartphone?
>
> yes it is nice that software can fullfil the needs of smartphones/pads
> but it is simply dumb to think this is the main target for the future
> instead a OPTION which has to be enabled instead the only main target
> fpr new development

Well, I'm happy with my "stupid phone". I don't especially want a
pocket-sized computer (at least not one that's tightly chained inside
a walled garden, whether it be Apple's, or Microsoft's, or any one
else's garden). As long as it reliably makes phone calls, and doesn't
require charging EVERY DAY I can be happy with it.

--
---- Fred Smith -- fredex@fcshome.stoneham.ma.us ----------------------------
Do you not know? Have you not heard?

Old 11-17-2011, 12:38 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 17.11.2011 02:32, schrieb fred smith:
> Well, I'm happy with my "stupid phone". I don't especially want a
> pocket-sized computer (at least not one that's tightly chained inside
> a walled garden, whether it be Apple's, or Microsoft's, or any one
> else's garden). As long as it reliably makes phone calls, and doesn't
> require charging EVERY DAY I can be happy with it.

well but computers are much more than on a smartphone will ever be possible
smartphones are nice for many low-end users but they will NEVER replace
a full featured PC and so so developers all over the world should stop
to think they are the only target for software because they will not

Old 11-17-2011, 01:23 AM
Craig White

On Thu, 2011-11-17 at 02:38 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 17.11.2011 02:32, schrieb fred smith:
> > Well, I'm happy with my "stupid phone". I don't especially want a
> > pocket-sized computer (at least not one that's tightly chained inside
> > a walled garden, whether it be Apple's, or Microsoft's, or any one
> > else's garden). As long as it reliably makes phone calls, and doesn't
> > require charging EVERY DAY I can be happy with it.
>
> well but computers are much more than on a smartphone will ever be possible
> smartphones are nice for many low-end users but they will NEVER replace
> a full featured PC and so so developers all over the world should stop
> to think they are the only target for software because they will not
----
Consider the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime tablet which has more
horsepower than my desktop computer (by far) though less RAM and less
storage. The cloud can be your storage... heck all of my music is
already on Google Music.

It's thoroughly conceivable that these devices will indeed displace what
is generally thought of as the irreplaceable home computer and maybe in
the near future - after all, probably 80-90% of what occupies our
computer usage is e-mail & web browsing. Just take a look at the latest
3 phones added to Verizon... the Razr, Rezound, Nexxus. Wow!

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 AM
Reindl Harald

Am 17.11.2011 03:23, schrieb Craig White:
> Consider the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime tablet which has more
> horsepower than my desktop computer (by far) though less RAM and less
> storage. The cloud can be your storage... heck all of my music is
> already on Google Music.

uninteresting because it does not change the fact that for most
things touchscreens are not really a solution and so GUIs
should not be only optimized for touch-screens

there has to be a option "touchscreen-user" or "do not wste space"

> It's thoroughly conceivable that these devices will indeed displace what
> is generally thought of as the irreplaceable home computer and maybe in
> the near future - after all, probably 80-90% of what occupies our
> computer usage is e-mail & web browsing. Just take a look at the latest
> 3 phones added to Verizon... the Razr, Rezound, Nexxus. Wow!

and home-computers are the real target ar least?
how many computers have you at home?
how many computers has even a small company?

you really believe that the majority and that are surely
business users switch to touchscreens for their daily work?

this will not happen now an dnot in hundret years!

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/17/2011 09:07 AM, Reindl Harald piše:

> Am 17.11.2011 03:23, schrieb Craig White:
>> Consider the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime tablet which has more
>> horsepower than my desktop computer (by far) though less RAM and less
>> storage. The cloud can be your storage... heck all of my music is
>> already on Google Music.
>
> uninteresting because it does not change the fact that for most
> things touchscreens are not really a solution and so GUIs
> should not be only optimized for touch-screens
>
> there has to be a option "touchscreen-user" or "do not wste space"
>
>> It's thoroughly conceivable that these devices will indeed displace what
>> is generally thought of as the irreplaceable home computer and maybe in
>> the near future - after all, probably 80-90% of what occupies our
>> computer usage is e-mail& web browsing. Just take a look at the latest
>> 3 phones added to Verizon... the Razr, Rezound, Nexxus. Wow!
>
> and home-computers are the real target ar least?
> how many computers have you at home?
> how many computers has even a small company?
>
> you really believe that the majority and that are surely
> business users switch to touchscreens for their daily work?
>
> this will not happen now an dnot in hundret years!

OK. This sub-thread has gone long enough. Maybe CentOS team should add
"Off-Topic mailing list" so we can transfer our discussion there and
just leave a link here or something.

We ALL must agree to disagree. Those thinking the smartphones are the
future come from consumerist mentality responsible for current economic
crises (mentality, not people) They are constantly bombarded with "next
best thing" advertisement, and they make a lot more money then the rest
of the world. Other side comes from mentality which is oriented to "most
money for the buck" or "minimal spending" philosophy since resources are
scarce.

First mentality thinks that paying 300-500 EUR for a device that can not
be fixed cheaply or can be dead after just one drop from 1 meter is
justified. Other side, where I belong does not.

I almost cried when I payed 300 EUR for Andriod phone, just because of
Wireless (I am small WISP), ability to VNC into my home PC and do what
ever I need to do, and GPS software (I managed to cram IGO MyWay into
HTC Wildfire). And having ~700 contacts (not numbers) is nice.
Everything else I can do without.

So I do not think that further discussion will help, since differences
in the way we think are vast. For that reason, I ask you that we quit
this, or to take it elsewhere (I always like to )

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-17-2011, 12:44 PM
Les Mikesell

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>> Consider the upcoming Asus Transformer Prime tablet which has more
>> horsepower than my desktop computer (by far) though less RAM and less
>> storage. The cloud can be your storage... heck all of my music is
>> already on Google Music.
>
> uninteresting because it does not change the fact that for most
> things touchscreens are not really a solution and so GUIs
> should not be only optimized for touch-screens
>
> there has to be a option "touchscreen-user" or "do not wste space"

Not sure I understand - a soft keyboard only takes screen space when
needed. And a very popular device is making news about its voice
input app that is sort-of usable.

And maybe you've missed the measurements showing Netflix video to be
30% of end-point internet traffic in the US.

> you really believe that the majority and that are surely
> business users switch to touchscreens for their daily work?

Or embedded devices with remote controls and no keyboard at all...
Netflix got their popularity by running on just about every device
that can connect to the internet and a screen. But those are not
replacements for the computer where you manage your queue, they are
additions, but you might spend more time with them.

>this will not happen now an dnot in hundret years!

I think we are only a few years away from fully usable voice controls
which will eliminate any size requirements for your end point device.
Keyboard input isn't really that great anyway.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 PM
Reindl Harald

Am 17.11.2011 14:44, schrieb Les Mikesell:
> Not sure I understand - a soft keyboard only takes screen space when
> needed. And a very popular device is making news about its voice
> input app that is sort-of usable.

i do not speak about soft-keyboard

i speak about wasting braindead space with big icons and big spaces between
icons to make interfaces better working with touch-displays while it wastes
space for users of a classical computer

and PLEASE do not tell me about usability of small icons for some people since
i am nearly blind on my right eye after some medical operations in the context
computer screen and have on the left one 60-75% - that does not change the
fact that i could jump in any developers face which is wasting space on
my screen so that i see finally the same on my 23" as some years before
with 17"

> I think we are only a few years away from fully usable voice controls
> which will eliminate any size requirements for your end point device.
> Keyboard input isn't really that great anyway.

*lol*

you really believe you want to write a letter with voice control?
you really believe you want operate with eclipse and voice control?
you really believe you want to operate in a root-terminal with voice control?
you really believe you want to edit config-files with voice control?
you really believe you want to work with spreadsheets and voice control?
you really believe you want to work with GIMP and voice control?
you really believe you want to edit videos with voice control?

you can replace "voice control" with "touch-keyboard"!

recognize that there are MANY users which are NOT plaing a little bit
with their devices - they are WORKING with their devices and in times
where nearly in all jobs computers are needed to do the daily work
it is simply ignorant start designing interfaces PRIMARY for the next
big thing because some homeusers are happy with all this crap

Old 11-17-2011, 01:10 PM
Les Mikesell

On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 7:55 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net> wrote:

>> I think we are only a few years away from fully usable voice controls
>> which will eliminate any size requirements for your end point device.
>> Keyboard input isn't really that great anyway.
>
> *lol*
>
> you really believe you want to write a letter with voice control?

Letters? You mean the things that the Post Office used to deliver?
Who does that anymore? Maybe a picture or video clip instead...

> you really believe you want operate with eclipse and voice control?
> you really believe you want to operate in a root-terminal with voice control?
> you really believe you want to edit config-files with voice control?
> you really believe you want to work with spreadsheets and voice control?
> you really believe you want to work with GIMP and voice control?
> you really believe you want to edit videos with voice control?
>
> you can replace "voice control" with "touch-keyboard"!
>
> recognize that there are MANY users which are NOT plaing a little bit
> with their devices - they are WORKING with their devices and in times
> where nearly in all jobs computers are needed to do the daily work
> it is simply ignorant start designing interfaces PRIMARY for the next
> big thing because some homeusers are happy with all this crap

I wouldn't call people doing any of those things 'computer users', but
rather developers, administrators, or editors. Those jobs are all
necessary but they aren't what the majority of people do with devices
even now.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 11-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Christopher Chan

On Thursday, November 17, 2011 10:10 PM, Les Mikesell wrote:

> Letters? You mean the things that the Post Office used to deliver?
> Who does that anymore? Maybe a picture or video clip instead...

Gee...business people that's who...at least until we get some to use and
legal digital signing. But please, there is no answer that is correct
for all situations so let's drop this.

> I wouldn't call people doing any of those things 'computer users', but
> rather developers, administrators, or editors. Those jobs are all
> necessary but they aren't what the majority of people do with devices
> even now.

And these users will use whatever they fancy but the devs will forever
not get it (except maybe those that Steve Jobs whipped on a daily basis)
so you can argue this till the cows come home. Let's also drop this too.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 17, 2011 at 2:07 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl@thelounge.net>
> wrote:

<snip>
> Or embedded devices with remote controls and no keyboard at all...
> Netflix got their popularity by running on just about every device
> that can connect to the internet and a screen. But those are not
> replacements for the computer where you manage your queue, they are
> additions, but you might spend more time with them.
>
>>this will not happen now an dnot in hundret years!
>
> I think we are only a few years away from fully usable voice controls
> which will eliminate any size requirements for your end point device.
> Keyboard input isn't really that great anyway.

And overwhelmingly, most folks will use keyboards at work or home, unless
they have an office with a door they can shut. As I've been saying for 20
or more years, voice computing will never come in: e.g., the employee
who's just been fired, walks out of the office and yells, FORMAT c:; YES,
YES, YES!!!

And no one's going to want to have to have employees wasting time training
a voice recognition system to only recognize their voice.

mark "where's the jack behind my ear?"