Old 11-17-2011, 12:31 AM
fred smith

Default Centos 5.7--desktop icons are now a blank sheet of paper with the .desktop filename and they don't work

On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 08:45:48PM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 11:22:32AM +0100, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> > Vreme: 11/15/2011 03:25 AM, fred smith piše:
> >
> > > note that the Desktop folder contains a subdirectory named "radio stations",
> > > and that its representation on the desktop looks correct. but when I click
> > > on it to open up that folder, all its contents are also broken in the
> > > same way.
> > >
> > > Anybody got any clues?
> > >

> > First remove all spaces from folder(s) and desktop files.
> >
> > Next, there was some trick when you create your own desktop files, I was
> > receiving similar warning, but I am not sure (at the moment) what was
> > the solution. While you change names, I will later on look for a solution.
>
> Tried removing spaces. makes no difference.
>
> did a reboot with forced fsck, on the off-chance that would fix something.
> no such luck.
>
> created a whole new user, who CAN create working desktop launchers. which
> tells me it's something in my own login environment that's messing me up.
> Wonder what that might be....

Well, it's fixed. I know the solution, if not the cause:
in my home directory, cd to .local/share/mime, delete (or rename) the
"globs" file. log off, log on. voila.

I note that the globs file in that location is not the same size as the
one in /usr/share/mime globs, which is also no the same size as the one
in /usr/local/share/mime/globs. I have no CLUE how it gets generated
(unless update-mime-database does it, but I don't know when or by what
agency it gets run.) but after rebooting it has not been regenerated,
but at least my desktop launchers now work. I note that /usr/share/mime/globs
contains:

application/x-desktop:*.desktop

and that the globs file I renamed in ~/.local/share/mime does not contain
such a line. without doing further spelunking, I can only guess that it
is the absence of that line that broke my desktop.

Wonder how the file could have become broken/corrupted? is there a more
correct method of "fixing" it?

thanks all!

Fred
While we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.

Old 02-09-2012, 09:06 PM
fred smith

new info, see below...

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 08:31:17PM -0500, fred smith wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 08:45:48PM -0500, fred smith wrote:

> > > First remove all spaces from folder(s) and desktop files.
> > >
> > > Next, there was some trick when you create your own desktop files, I was
> > > receiving similar warning, but I am not sure (at the moment) what was
> > > the solution. While you change names, I will later on look for a solution.
> >
> > Tried removing spaces. makes no difference.
> >
> > did a reboot with forced fsck, on the off-chance that would fix something.
> > no such luck.
> >
> > created a whole new user, who CAN create working desktop launchers. which
> > tells me it's something in my own login environment that's messing me up.
> > Wonder what that might be....
>
> Well, it's fixed. I know the solution, if not the cause:
> in my home directory, cd to .local/share/mime, delete (or rename) the
> "globs" file. log off, log on. voila.
>
> I note that the globs file in that location is not the same size as the
> one in /usr/share/mime globs, which is also no the same size as the one
> in /usr/local/share/mime/globs. I have no CLUE how it gets generated
> (unless update-mime-database does it, but I don't know when or by what
> agency it gets run.) but after rebooting it has not been regenerated,
> but at least my desktop launchers now work. I note that /usr/share/mime/globs
> contains:
>
> application/x-desktop:*.desktop
>
> and that the globs file I renamed in ~/.local/share/mime does not contain
> such a line. without doing further spelunking, I can only guess that it
> is the absence of that line that broke my desktop.
>
> Wonder how the file could have become broken/corrupted? is there a more
> correct method of "fixing" it?

So, this afternoon a single update came down, a new selinux policy file.
after installing that update, the problem (described above) recurred.
So, it's some kind of selinux(-related) issue.

If any of you have any further thoughts on this I'd like to hear them.

thanks!

Fred
The Lord detests the way of the wicked

Old 02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
fred smith

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:40:13AM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
> On 02/09/2012 05:06 PM, fred smith wrote:
> >
> > new info, see below...

> >> Well, it's fixed. I know the solution, if not the cause: in my
> >> home directory, cd to .local/share/mime, delete (or rename) the
> >> "globs" file. log off, log on. voila.
> >>
> >> I note that the globs file in that location is not the same size
> >> as the one in /usr/share/mime globs, which is also no the same
> >> size as the one in /usr/local/share/mime/globs. I have no CLUE
> >> how it gets generated (unless update-mime-database does it, but I
> >> don't know when or by what agency it gets run.) but after
> >> rebooting it has not been regenerated, but at least my desktop
> >> launchers now work. I note that /usr/share/mime/globs contains:
> >>
> >> application/x-desktop:*.desktop
> >>
> >> and that the globs file I renamed in ~/.local/share/mime does not
> >> contain such a line. without doing further spelunking, I can only
> >> guess that it is the absence of that line that broke my desktop.
> >>
> >> Wonder how the file could have become broken/corrupted? is there
> >> a more correct method of "fixing" it?
> >
> > So, this afternoon a single update came down, a new selinux policy
> > file. after installing that update, the problem (described above)
> > recurred. So, it's some kind of selinux(-related) issue.
> >
> > If any of you have any further thoughts on this I'd like to hear
> > them.
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > Fred
>

> I would relabel your system
>
> touch /.autorelabel; reboot
>
> And I would bet that fixes your problem.

I'm not sure that it did. I did what you suggest. rebooted then reinserted
the glob file (I'd saved it under a different name). it immediately seemed
to be still working, but the next day the problem started occurring again,
without having installed any other updates.

Fred
all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."