Old 11-16-2011, 01:37 PM
Alan McKay

Default lm_sensors on Sun (x86) Hardware

Hey folks,

I'm running RHEL 5.3 on 6 boxes - and on every one of them
sensors-detect finds nothing.

5 of them are Sun fire 2250 machines, and 1 is Sunfire 4170.

Googling and searching this list does not seem to find anything.

When I log into the Sun hardware management interface (web interface)
I see that it of course is correctly detecting various temperatures of
things. But for some reason Linux is not.

Does anyone here have experience in this area and can tell me how to
fix this?

thanks,
-Alan

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 11-16-2011, 01:55 PM
John Hodrien

On Wed, 16 Nov 2011, Alan McKay wrote:

> Hey folks,
>
> I'm running RHEL 5.3 on 6 boxes - and on every one of them
> sensors-detect finds nothing.
>
> 5 of them are Sun fire 2250 machines, and 1 is Sunfire 4170.
>
> Googling and searching this list does not seem to find anything.
>
> When I log into the Sun hardware management interface (web interface)
> I see that it of course is correctly detecting various temperatures of
> things. But for some reason Linux is not.
>
> Does anyone here have experience in this area and can tell me how to
> fix this?

Definitely running an out of date OS won't help. Updating the kernel to
current fixed a similar problem I'd had with no usable sensors being detected.

jh

Old 11-16-2011, 01:59 PM
Alan McKay

> Definitely running an out of date OS won't help. *Updating the kernel to
> current fixed a similar problem I'd had with no usable sensors being detected.

Yeah, I'd really like to do that - but I've only been here a week now
and don't understand these systems well enough yet to know whether or
not that will break anything.

Though I can probably upgrade 1 of them and let it soak for a few
weeks to see what happens.

* * * ** - Michael Pollan, author of "In Defense of Food"

Old 11-16-2011, 02:14 PM
John Hodrien

Definitely running an out of date OS won't help. *Updating the kernel to
current fixed a similar problem I'd had with no usable sensors being detected.

Yeah, I'd really like to do that - but I've only been here a week now
and don't understand these systems well enough yet to know whether or
not that will break anything.

Though I can probably upgrade 1 of them and let it soak for a few
weeks to see what happens.

Yep. Do one (upgrading kernel and lm_sensors to current), and you might find
it still can't see any sensors anyway...

jh_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org

Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/16/11 6:37 AM, Alan McKay wrote:
> When I log into the Sun hardware management interface (web interface)
> I see that it of course is correctly detecting various temperatures of
> things. But for some reason Linux is not.

you may need to use ipmitools rather than lm_sensors.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 11-16-2011, 03:15 PM
Ned Slider

On 16/11/11 14:37, Alan McKay wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm running RHEL 5.3 on 6 boxes - and on every one of them
> sensors-detect finds nothing.

What did Red Hat say?

> 5 of them are Sun fire 2250 machines, and 1 is Sunfire 4170.
>
> Googling and searching this list does not seem to find anything.
>
> When I log into the Sun hardware management interface (web interface)
> I see that it of course is correctly detecting various temperatures of
> things. But for some reason Linux is not.
>
> Does anyone here have experience in this area and can tell me how to
> fix this?
>
> thanks,
> -Alan

First try updating to the latest release to get the latest kernel /
lm_sensors packages.

Red Hat did a major overhaul of the hwmon branch in the RHEL-5.5
release, backporting many updated drivers from the upstream kernel
~2.6.26 (dating from somewhere around Aug 2008), but obviously even this
updated driver branch is now over 3 years old.

What hardware sensors do your servers have? Elrepo.org has some updated
kernel drivers for commonly used hardware sensors backported from newer
upstream kernels (e.g, 2.6.39, 3.x), but some are reliant on the latest
distro kernel (built against a later distro kernel) due to kernel ABI
changes, so you'd still need to ideally be running an updated installation.