-   -   Centos6 - Xfce - howto add usb automount (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/598869-centos6-xfce-howto-add-usb-automount.html)

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 11-15-2011 05:03 PM

Johan Vermeulen wrote:
> dear all,
>
> I configured Xfce on an Centos6 minimal install, I think its very fast,
> even on al 512Mb machine.
>
> But I don't have any clue how to make a usb automount on this.
>
> Anybody can help me with this?

I haven't installed xfce on C6 yet, and a rapid search suggests it's not
available in base or extras.
So I don't know where you got it from, and how it's packaged.
But in C5, using the xfce packages from centos extras, that
functionality is through thunar-volman.

BTW you don't need autofs, and you don't need nautilus. I have neither
on this xfce C5 system and automounting of usb works fine.

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 11-15-2011 05:09 PM

Vreme: 11/15/2011 07:03 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg piše:
> So I don't know where you got it from, and how it's packaged.

It's in EPEL.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 11-15-2011 05:16 PM

Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 11/15/2011 07:03 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg piše:
>> So I don't know where you got it from, and how it's packaged.
>
> It's in EPEL.

ah yes, and I see they carry a thunar-volman package. OP, install that
and you should be good.

Johan Vermeulen 11-18-2011 04:59 AM

Op 15-11-11 19:16, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg schreef:

> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 11/15/2011 07:03 PM, Nicolas Thierry-Mieg piše:
>>> So I don't know where you got it from, and how it's packaged.
>> It's in EPEL.
> ah yes, and I see they carry a thunar-volman package. OP, install that
> and you should be good.

dear All,

thanks for the many replies.

I tested this some more :

*thunar-volman is installed by default, so does not seem to automount
usb in CentOs6

*I install autofs
#autofs&
(1) 1775
output: -bash: autofs : command not found.
so also no usb.

I also tried starting autofs via system-config-services.

* Thunar --daemon : howto do that ?

The good thing is, when installing Nautilus, the usb now also automounts
in Thunar.

greetings, J.

"Mihai T. Lazarescu" 11-18-2011 12:38 PM

On Fri, Nov 18, 2011 at 06:59:41AM +0100, Johan Vermeulen wrote:

> *thunar-volman is installed by default, so does not seem to automount
> usb in CentOs6

I think it's activated by thunar, thus thunar should be started.

> The good thing is, when installing Nautilus, the usb now also automounts
> in Thunar.

That's expected, Nautilus should be started automatically by
Gnome if found.

> * Thunar --daemon : howto do that ?

1. It should be done automatically if you log into an XFCE
session;

2. If you use a Gnome session you should arrange that the
session starts Thunar instead of Nautilus.

A. Test the stuff. From a shell prompt:

** stop Nautilus to check that Thunar is doing the
mounting, not Nautilus:

nautilus --quit

** start Thunar in the background:

Thunar --daemon

** try if the USB drive is mounted automatically.

B. Make settings permanent:

** save the session after stopping Nautilus and Starting
Thunar as above.

Hope this helps.

Mihai

Ljubomir Ljubojevic 11-18-2011 04:40 PM

Vreme: 11/18/2011 06:59 AM, Johan Vermeulen piše:
> *I install autofs
> #autofs&
> (1) 1775
> output: -bash: autofs : command not found.
> so also no usb.
>
> I also tried starting autofs via system-config-services.

service autofs start(/restart/stop/reload)

Can not say if it will work out of the box, I have no free time to test.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...