Old 11-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Tim Nelson

Default "Overlay" Filesystem Mounts?

Greetings-

Is it possible to mount multiple block devices (or network devices over NFS/CIFS) such that the contents of the mounts appear in one location? For example, lets say I have these shares available:

server1volume1
server1volume2
server1volume3

All three contain a directory called data, with different subdirectories. Typically, these would be mounted like so:

mount server1volume1 /mnt/s1v1
mount server1volume2 /mnt/s1v2
mount server1volume3 /mnt/s1v3

And, each would have a corresponding 'data' dir at those mounts:

/mnt/s1v1/data
/mnt/s1v2/data
/mnt/s1v3/data

However, it is possible to mount all of the shares to one location, such that there is one 'data' dir, with the combined contents of each of the three shares? So, all shares are mounted at /mnt/s1, and the contents of the multiple data dirs appears in one single data dir?

The only time I've seen such functionality is within the XBMC media center application. It allows you to mount multiple network shares, but shows them all in one location as a sort of 'overlay' view. Duplicate directories are shown have their contents merged, but remain intact on the actual shares/filesystem.

Does any of this make sense? Is it possible with CentOS (pref. 6) ?

--Tim

Old 11-15-2011, 04:19 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/15/2011 05:44 PM, Tim Nelson piše:

> However, it is possible to mount all of the shares to one location, such that there is one 'data' dir, with the combined contents of each of the three shares? So, all shares are mounted at /mnt/s1, and the contents of the multiple data dirs appears in one single data dir?
>
> The only time I've seen such functionality is within the XBMC media center application. It allows you to mount multiple network shares, but shows them all in one location as a sort of 'overlay' view. Duplicate directories are shown have their contents merged, but remain intact on the actual shares/filesystem.
>
> Does any of this make sense? Is it possible with CentOS (pref. 6) ?

If nothing else, you could create ans script that would create symlinks
from all files in those directories into single one. I use that
technique to create combined repository directory for mrepo.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-15-2011, 04:22 PM
Tim Nelson

> Vreme: 11/15/2011 05:44 PM, Tim Nelson piše:
> >
> > However, it is possible to mount all of the shares to one location,
> > such that there is one 'data' dir, with the combined contents of
> > each of the three shares? So, all shares are mounted at /mnt/s1, and
> > the contents of the multiple data dirs appears in one single data
> > dir?
> >
> > The only time I've seen such functionality is within the XBMC media
> > center application. It allows you to mount multiple network shares,
> > but shows them all in one location as a sort of 'overlay' view.
> > Duplicate directories are shown have their contents merged, but
> > remain intact on the actual shares/filesystem.
> >
> > Does any of this make sense? Is it possible with CentOS (pref. 6) ?
> >
> If nothing else, you could create ans script that would create
> symlinks
> from all files in those directories into single one. I use that
> technique to create combined repository directory for mrepo.

I'm already doing this. It "works", but is quite messy. I had hoped there would be an actual filesystem merging function that would do this automagically.

--Tim

Old 11-15-2011, 04:25 PM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Tim Nelson wrote:

> I'm already doing this. It "works", but is quite messy. I had hoped there
> would be an actual filesystem merging function that would do this
> automagically.

Presumably it's be easy enough to knock up with fuse, but there'd be a small
performance hit compared to the symlink approach.

Why are you wanting to do this out of interest? Are you merging filesystems
from multiple servers?

jh

Old 11-15-2011, 04:30 PM
Tim Nelson

> > I'm already doing this. It "works", but is quite messy. I had hoped
> > there
> > would be an actual filesystem merging function that would do this
> > automagically.
>
> Presumably it's be easy enough to knock up with fuse, but there'd be a
> small
> performance hit compared to the symlink approach.

A small loss of performance would be acceptable.

> Why are you wanting to do this out of interest? Are you merging
> filesystems
> from multiple servers?

Yes, multiple exports on multiple servers. The data is read by a legacy application that does not have a concept of 'multiple data locations' in which to read data from. :-/

--Tim

Old 11-15-2011, 04:39 PM
John Hodrien

On Tue, 15 Nov 2011, Tim Nelson wrote: