Old 11-15-2011, 09:22 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Default Centos 5.7--desktop icons are now a blank sheet of paper with the .desktop filename and they don't work

Vreme: 11/15/2011 03:25 AM, fred smith piše:

> note that the Desktop folder contains a subdirectory named "radio stations",
> and that its representation on the desktop looks correct. but when I click
> on it to open up that folder, all its contents are also broken in the
> same way.
>
> Anybody got any clues?

First remove all spaces from folder(s) and desktop files.

Next, there was some trick when you create your own desktop files, I was
receiving similar warning, but I am not sure (at the moment) what was
the solution. While you change names, I will later on look for a solution.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 02/09/2012 05:06 PM, fred smith wrote:

> new info, see below...
>
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 08:31:17PM -0500, fred smith wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 15, 2011 at 08:45:48PM -0500, fred smith wrote:

>>> Tried removing spaces. makes no difference.
>>>
>>> did a reboot with forced fsck, on the off-chance that would fix
>>> something. no such luck.
>>>
>>> created a whole new user, who CAN create working desktop
>>> launchers. which tells me it's something in my own login
>>> environment that's messing me up. Wonder what that might
>>> be....
>>
>> Well, it's fixed. I know the solution, if not the cause: in my
>> home directory, cd to .local/share/mime, delete (or rename) the
>> "globs" file. log off, log on. voila.
>>
>> I note that the globs file in that location is not the same size
>> as the one in /usr/share/mime globs, which is also no the same
>> size as the one in /usr/local/share/mime/globs. I have no CLUE
>> how it gets generated (unless update-mime-database does it, but I
>> don't know when or by what agency it gets run.) but after
>> rebooting it has not been regenerated, but at least my desktop
>> launchers now work. I note that /usr/share/mime/globs contains:
>>
>> application/x-desktop:*.desktop
>>
>> and that the globs file I renamed in ~/.local/share/mime does not
>> contain such a line. without doing further spelunking, I can only
>> guess that it is the absence of that line that broke my desktop.
>>
>> Wonder how the file could have become broken/corrupted? is there
>> a more correct method of "fixing" it?
>
> So, this afternoon a single update came down, a new selinux policy
> file. after installing that update, the problem (described above)
> recurred. So, it's some kind of selinux(-related) issue.
>
> If any of you have any further thoughts on this I'd like to hear
> them.
>
> thanks!
>
> Fred

I would relabel your system

touch /.autorelabel; reboot

And I would bet that fixes your problem.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:40 PM
Daniel J Walsh

On 02/15/2012 11:40 AM, fred smith wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 09:40:13AM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>> On 02/09/2012 05:06 PM, fred smith wrote:
>>>
>>> new info, see below...

>>> So, this afternoon a single update came down, a new selinux
>>> policy file. after installing that update, the problem
>>> (described above) recurred. So, it's some kind of
>>> selinux(-related) issue.
>>>
>>> If any of you have any further thoughts on this I'd like to
>>> hear them.
>>>
>>> thanks!
>>>
>>> Fred
>>

>> I would relabel your system
>>
>> touch /.autorelabel; reboot
>>
>> And I would bet that fixes your problem.
>
> I'm not sure that it did. I did what you suggest. rebooted then
> reinserted the glob file (I'd saved it under a different name). it
> immediately seemed to be still working, but the next day the
> problem started occurring again, without having installed any other
> updates.
>
> Fred

Well you can check if SELinux is involved, by executing

# ausearch -m avc -ts recent

If this returns output it could still be SELinux.

Old 02-15-2012, 05:44 PM
Larry Martell

On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 11:40 AM, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 02/15/2012 11:40 AM, fred smith wrote:

>>> I would relabel your system
>>>
>>> touch /.autorelabel; reboot
>>>
>>> And I would bet that fixes your problem.
>>
>> I'm not sure that it did. I did what you suggest. rebooted then
>> reinserted the glob file (I'd saved it under a different name). it
>> immediately seemed to be still working, but the next day the
>> problem started occurring again, without having installed any other
>> updates.
>>
>> Fred
>

> Well you can check if SELinux is involved, by executing
>
> # ausearch -m avc -ts recent
>
> If this returns output it could still be SELinux.

Just cat /selinux/enforce - if that has a 1 in it, then selinux is enabled.