Old 11-19-2011, 04:12 PM

Default high availability ideas

David Hrbáč writes:

> Dne 19.11.2011 12:11, nux@li.nux.ro napsal(a):
>> Thank you, however I decided to go for a less exotic setup and use a more
>> passive way of sync (probably rsync and mysql replication) and I'll do
>> the high availability part from DNS (yes, I know there are issues with this
>> solution as well).
>>
>> Thanks again.
>
> Think about session store too.

If I'll ever get this done I must write about how I did it.

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 11-19-2011, 06:48 PM
Les Mikesell

On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 11:12 AM, <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:

>>> Thank you, however I decided to go for a less exotic setup and use a more
>>> passive way of sync (probably rsync and mysql replication) and I'll do
>>> the high availability part from DNS (yes, I know there are issues with this
>>> solution as well).
>>>
>>> Thanks again.
>>
>> Think about session store too.
>
> If I'll ever get this done I must write about how I did it.

If the site is big/busy enough, you should think in terms of multiple
levels of server groups - that is, sets at the same location that
might be behind a load balancer with the option to make sessions
'sticky' by always directing to the same target or where you can use
the server's session-sharing mechanism and/or a common database, and
sets at different locations that may need to operation under
conditions that can't be strictly kept in sync. It is also useful to
split parts that are mostly static, change slowly, and don't need
sessions (images, downloads, etc.) into separate DNS names that can
be managed differently.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com