Old 11-13-2011, 10:35 PM
Reindl Harald

Default binding additional IP addresses to centos6 on one interface

Am 14.11.2011 00:28, schrieb Jonathan Vomacka:
> I know this was discussed before, and I have seen a million ways of
> doing this via online docs. I have a quick question that hopefully the
> community can help me out with
>
> I am trying to add a block of 10 IP addresses. Rather then create 10
> different alias files, I want to use the RANGE file.
>
> Docs say to use the following format:
> IPADDR_START=x.x.x.x
> IPADDR_END=x.x.x.x
> CLONENUM_START=0
>
> If the IP's that are given to you are on a completely seperate gateway /
> netmask, how would you enter it into this file? Is it necessary? Please
> advise.

who needs ranges?
configure what you need!

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=10.0.0.6
GATEWAY=10.0.0.1
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
TYPE=Ethernet
MODE=Managed
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
USERCTL=no
MTU=1500

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1
DEVICE=eth0:1
IPADDR=10.0.0.7
ONPARENT=yes

cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:2
DEVICE=eth0:2
IPADDR=10.0.0.5
ONPARENT=yes

Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 PM
Jonathan Vomacka

Reindl,

A block of 10 IPV4 is not a lot, and they will all eventually be used.
My question is, my server IP is 66.80.x.x and my additional IPS are in
the 50.7.x.x range using a netmask of 255.255.255.248.

Can the netmask be written in the range file like it is in the ifcfg-eth0:0?

Old 11-13-2011, 10:42 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/13/11 3:28 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> If the IP's that are given to you are on a completely seperate gateway /
> netmask, how would you enter it into this file? Is it necessary? Please
> advise.

on a completely separate gateway/mask from what?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 11-13-2011, 11:15 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/14/2011 12:42 AM, Jonathan Vomacka piše:
> A block of 10 IPV4 is not a lot, and they will all eventually be used.
> My question is, my server IP is 66.80.x.x and my additional IPS are in
> the 50.7.x.x range using a netmask of 255.255.255.248.
>
> Can the netmask be written in the range file like it is in the ifcfg-eth0:0?

255.255.255.248 gives you 6 (six), not 10 IP's.

I can not say about range file, but you can use IP calculator to find
out which IP start and end you need to write.
Enter data in this site and use "29" as an netmask. It use HostMin and
HostMax numbers for IPADDR_START and IPADDR_END:

http://jodies.de/ipcalc

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-13-2011, 11:28 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/13/11 4:15 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> 255.255.255.248 gives you 6 (six), not 10 IP's.

and one of those 6 is typically reserved for the gateway IP, leaving 5
usable hosts.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast