-   -   binding additional IP addresses to centos6 on one interface (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/597960-binding-additional-ip-addresses-centos6-one-interface.html)

Jonathan Vomacka 11-13-2011 10:28 PM

binding additional IP addresses to centos6 on one interface

I know this was discussed before, and I have seen a million ways of
doing this via online docs. I have a quick question that hopefully the
community can help me out with

I am trying to add a block of 10 IP addresses. Rather then create 10
different alias files, I want to use the RANGE file.

Docs say to use the following format:
IPADDR_START=x.x.x.x
IPADDR_END=x.x.x.x
CLONENUM_START=0

If the IP's that are given to you are on a completely seperate gateway /
netmask, how would you enter it into this file? Is it necessary? Please
advise.

11-14-2011 10:03 AM

Jonathan Vomacka writes:

> Reindl,
>
> A block of 10 IPV4 is not a lot, and they will all eventually be used.
> My question is, my server IP is 66.80.x.x and my additional IPS are in
> the 50.7.x.x range using a netmask of 255.255.255.248.
>
> Can the netmask be written in the range file like it is in the ifcfg-eth0:0?

Reindl,

Please do not top post.

255.255.255.248 gives you a total of 8 IPs, not 10, of which usually you
loose 3 for the network, broadcast and gw addresses.
You can assign those 5 in a range file without problems, you can also
specify the netmask like in a "normal" cfg file. It shouldn't be needed to
specify other settings.

Where I work we'd route the additional subnet through the IP you already
have on the server, thus allowing you to allocate _all_ 8 IPs as a range
on the loopback interface with a /32 netmask. See if your ISP can do this
for you.

--
Nux!
www.nux.ro