Old 11-10-2011, 08:03 AM
Fajar Priyanto

Default Misterious hang

Hi all,
Recently one my Centos 5.7 VM just crashes at least once a day randomly (hang).

In /var/log/messages there is nothing at all that there is problem (no
error, no failure). The log just stops.

The only change I did before this crashes is I activated LDAP
authentication, and also auditd. But I don't see any evidence relating
to it.

Any clue where to look for the cause?

Thank you.
Fajar

Old 11-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/10/2011 10:03 AM, Fajar Priyanto piše:
> Hi all,
> Recently one my Centos 5.7 VM just crashes at least once a day randomly (hang).
>
> In /var/log/messages there is nothing at all that there is problem (no
> error, no failure). The log just stops.
>
> The only change I did before this crashes is I activated LDAP
> authentication, and also auditd. But I don't see any evidence relating
> to it.
>
> Any clue where to look for the cause?

Best course should be to disable those apps and try without them if
possible.

Beside that, first find out exact time of the crash (is there any cron
job associated) and check your file systems for error. Also check is you
have enough free space.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-10-2011, 01:25 PM

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hi all,
> Recently one my Centos 5.7 VM just crashes at least once a day randomly
> (hang).
>
> In /var/log/messages there is nothing at all that there is problem (no
> error, no failure). The log just stops.
>
> The only change I did before this crashes is I activated LDAP
> authentication, and also auditd. But I don't see any evidence relating
> to it.
>
> Any clue where to look for the cause?

Two questions: is there anything on the console screen? Does it just hang,
or reboot?

If the latter, and there's nothing in the logs, it's possible activating
openLDAP was just coincidental with the problem, and I'd start worrying
about hardware problems.

mark, waiting on an FE who's an hour late

Old 11-10-2011, 01:59 PM
Fajar Priyanto

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Any clue where to look for the cause?
>
> Two questions: is there anything on the console screen? Does it just hang,
> or reboot?
>
> If the latter, and there's nothing in the logs, it's possible activating
> openLDAP was just coincidental with the problem, and I'd start worrying
> about hardware problems.

1. It's a VM, the console looks black. Typing something on keyboard
doesn't bring back the console to alive.
It's also unresponsive to ping.

2. It's just hang. Not reboot. I have to power off the VM and power on.
The ESXi host has many VM in it and only my that VM has problem.

No specific time of hang.

Only thing I can try is to deactivate auditd. Let's see if it survives
more than one day without hang.

Old 11-10-2011, 04:36 PM
Aditya Hilman

Old 11-10-2011, 04:41 PM
Aditya Hilman

On Nov 10, 2011, at 9:59 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 10:25 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> Any clue where to look for the cause?
>>
>> Two questions: is there anything on the console screen? Does it just hang,
>> or reboot?
>>
>> If the latter, and there's nothing in the logs, it's possible activating
>> openLDAP was just coincidental with the problem, and I'd start worrying
>> about hardware problems.
>
> 1. It's a VM, the console looks black. Typing something on keyboard
> doesn't bring back the console to alive.
> It's also unresponsive to ping.
>
> 2. It's just hang. Not reboot. I have to power off the VM and power on.
> The ESXi host has many VM in it and only my that VM has problem.
>
> No specific time of hang.
>
> Only thing I can try is to deactivate auditd. Let's see if it survives
> more than one day without hang.

Try to using kdump for more information about your problem.
I've experience with some problem which is I can't see in /var/log/messages. So I use kdump for what truly happening in my machine.

Regards,
Adit

Old 11-13-2011, 02:29 AM
Nataraj

> 2. It's just hang. Not reboot. I have to power off the VM and power on.
> The ESXi host has many VM in it and only my that VM has problem.
If you can't trace your problem to anything else, then I would look at
the ESXI configuration for that VM. If there are other CentOS/Redhat 5
VM's on the ESXI server, check the vmware configuration to see that they
are the same. In particular, make sure the OS is set to the correct
thing for Redhat 5. VMware, in its hardware emulation, makes
assumptions about clocking and possibly other kernel options and if the
VM config does not agree with the running kernel, you can have problems.

Nataraj

Old 11-14-2011, 03:09 PM
Fajar Priyanto

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Fajar Priyanto <fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Recently one my Centos 5.7 VM just crashes at least once a day randomly (hang).
>
> In /var/log/messages there is nothing at all that there is problem (no
> error, no failure). The log just stops.
>
> The only change I did before this crashes is I activated LDAP
> authentication, and also auditd. But I don't see any evidence relating
> to it.

Hi all,
I want to give update....
Removing auditd didn't solve the problem. Still hang.

So, finally I create a cronjob to echo date and time into a text file
every 5 minutes to find out if there is a pattern on when the hang
occurs and the result is ........
It hasn't hang for more than 3 days...!

Definitely there is still problem, but somehow that cronjob prevents
the hang from occurring. Like as if the VM got idle, it will hang?
I don't know...

Old 11-14-2011, 04:18 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/14/2011 05:09 PM, Fajar Priyanto piše:
> On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:03 PM, Fajar Priyanto<fajarpri@arinet.org> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>> Recently one my Centos 5.7 VM just crashes at least once a day randomly (hang).
>>
>> In /var/log/messages there is nothing at all that there is problem (no
>> error, no failure). The log just stops.
>>
>> The only change I did before this crashes is I activated LDAP
>> authentication, and also auditd. But I don't see any evidence relating
>> to it.
>
> Hi all,
> I want to give update....
> Removing auditd didn't solve the problem. Still hang.
>
> So, finally I create a cronjob to echo date and time into a text file
> every 5 minutes to find out if there is a pattern on when the hang
> occurs and the result is ........
> It hasn't hang for more than 3 days...!
>
> Definitely there is still problem, but somehow that cronjob prevents
> the hang from occurring. Like as if the VM got idle, it will hang?
> I don't know...

Do you have some sort of standby turned on by the guest?

Or maybe Host does not see any activity of the guest and tryies to
suspend it?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)