Old 11-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Jonathan Vomacka

Default Postfix mail server procedure

CentOS Community,

I was wondering if anyone had a good resource or procedure for a step by
step in installing a mail server with Centos. There ARE documents on
google, however almost all that i've found were outdated from 2005. Does
anyone know where I can find this type of document for a mailserver
Postfix + MySQL + SpamAssassin + ClamAV + Squirrelmail + Postfixadmin, etc?

Old 11-09-2011, 05:19 AM
Leon Jacobs

http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-centos-6.0-x86_64

Old 11-09-2011, 05:36 AM
John R Pierce

On 11/08/11 10:10 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had a good resource or procedure for a step by
> step in installing a mail server with Centos. There ARE documents on
> google, however almost all that i've found were outdated from 2005. Does
> anyone know where I can find this type of document for a mailserver
> Postfix + MySQL + SpamAssassin + ClamAV + Squirrelmail + Postfixadmin, etc?

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-Mail_Servers.html
is as good a place to start as any.

not sure why mysql has to do with email servers.... yes, I know, you
_can_ configure email servers to use SQL databases as the message
stores, but I really don't think you _should_ do that, it just adds more
overhead.

spamassassin has its own documentation, and frankly, its a big complex
set of tools, there's no one 'right' way to set it up, as spam is a big
complex problem. each mail administrator will have to weigh the pros
and cons of the various options and how acceptible they are to his
environment. docs are here, http://spamassassin.apache.org/doc.html

squirrelmail is not actually a mail server, its a web based mail
reader. its also not a standard part of the centos distribution. see
http://squirrelmail.org/

postfixadmin, I dunno, never used it. I don't believe its supplied by
CentOS, but its probably available from various third parties... I
manage my mail servers with shell tools.

you left out an important part of a mail server, which is a mail user
agent such as dovecot or cyrus, these provide the POP and IMAP protocols
that a user mail client such as Thunderbird need to read the mail. the
basics of setting these up should be covered in the redhat doc above.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 11-09-2011, 07:31 AM
Christopher Chan

On Wednesday, November 09, 2011 02:36 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/08/11 10:10 PM, Jonathan Vomacka wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if anyone had a good resource or procedure for a step by
>> step in installing a mail server with Centos. There ARE documents on
>> google, however almost all that i've found were outdated from 2005. Does
>> anyone know where I can find this type of document for a mailserver
>> Postfix + MySQL + SpamAssassin + ClamAV + Squirrelmail + Postfixadmin, etc?
>>
> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-Mail_Servers.html
> is as good a place to start as any.
>
> not sure why mysql has to do with email servers.... yes, I know, you
> _can_ configure email servers to use SQL databases as the message
> stores, but I really don't think you _should_ do that, it just adds more
> overhead.

It's not for storing messages, it's for the
userinfo/mailstoremetadata/whateveryoucallit. There is only one other
experiment that I know of in using a database for mail storage besides
Exchange...like you say...just adds more overhead,points of failure.

> you left out an important part of a mail server, which is a mail user
> agent such as dovecot or cyrus, these provide the POP and IMAP protocols
> that a user mail client such as Thunderbird need to read the mail. the
> basics of setting these up should be covered in the redhat doc above.

People still use Sam's stuff?!?

Old 11-09-2011, 07:46 AM
Alexander Dalloz

Am 09.11.2011 07:19, schrieb Leon Jacobs:

> http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual-users-and-domains-with-postfix-courier-mysql-and-squirrelmail-centos-6.0-x86_64

A strong NO!

That "howto" tinstructs to run through source installs on CentOS. A
really bad habit. Even completeley unnecessary.

And nobody wants courier imap any longer as it is simply slow compared
to dovecot or cyrus-imapd.

Alexander

Old 11-09-2011, 07:58 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 09:46:51AM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 09.11.2011 07:19, schrieb Leon Jacobs:
>
> A strong NO!

Emphatically seconded.

> That "howto" tinstructs to run through source installs on CentOS. A
> really bad habit. Even completeley unnecessary.

Most of the howto's I've seen from howtoscrewupaperfectlygoodserverforge.com
should be avoided like an STD; this one is a perfect example. Any
"howto" that advocates disabling selinux was written by someone that is
either incompetent or just plain lazy; either quality is undesired in an
admin.

It would be in the best interests of all parties if such "howto"
articles from howtoforge.com were avoided here in the future.

John
--
Politics is just show business for ugly people.

-- Jay Leno

Old 11-09-2011, 08:02 AM
Leon Jacobs

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM, John R. Dennison <jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 09:46:51AM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> Am 09.11.2011 07:19, schrieb Leon Jacobs:
>>
>> A strong NO!
>
> Emphatically seconded.

Forgetting to add "A quick google came up with..." and not reading the
article, ill take the slap in the face this time. >.<

Old 11-09-2011, 08:10 AM
Marius Vaitiekunas

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Jonathan Vomacka <juvix88@gmail.com> wrote:
> CentOS Community,
>
> I was wondering if anyone had a good resource or procedure for a step by
> step in installing a mail server with Centos. There ARE documents on
> google, however almost all that i've found were outdated from 2005. Does
> anyone know where I can find this type of document for a mailserver
> Postfix + MySQL + SpamAssassin + ClamAV + Squirrelmail + Postfixadmin, etc?

Maybe, somebody could recommend any good books about complete mail
server open source solution? Sorry for OT.

Old 11-09-2011, 08:11 AM
Alain Péan

Le 09/11/2011 10:02, Leon Jacobs a écrit :
> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 10:58 AM, John R. Dennison<jrd@gerdesas.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 09, 2011 at 09:46:51AM +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>>> Am 09.11.2011 07:19, schrieb Leon Jacobs:
>>>
>>> A strong NO!
>> Emphatically seconded.
> Forgetting to add "A quick google came up with..." and not reading the
> article, ill take the slap in the face this time.>.<

These two links, even if I read them rapidly, seem more accurate :
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/postfix
http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd

Alain

Alain Péan - LPP/CNRS
Administrateur Système/Réseau
Laboratoire de Physique des Plasmas - UMR 7648
Observatoire de Saint-Maur
4, av de Neptune, Bat. A
94100 Saint-Maur des Fossés
Tel : 01-45-11-42-39 - Fax : 01-48-89-44-33

Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
Patrick Lists

On 11/09/2011 10:10 AM, Marius Vaitiekunas wrote:
> Hi,
> Maybe, somebody could recommend any good books about complete mail
> server open source solution? Sorry for OT.

I found the "Postfix: the Definitive Guide" book by Kyle D. Dent very
useful to learn about Postfix. There is also "The Book of Postfix" by
Ralf Hildebrandt and Patrick Koetter. Do a search on Amazon to find more
references to Postfix.

Regards,
Patrick