Old 11-08-2011, 04:28 PM
Jonathan Vomacka

Default CentOS 6 yum Groupinstall vs Manual install

Gentlemen,

I have a question regarding yum groupinstall vs just using yum install.
I have been reading tutorials online (for example how to run a Centos
LAMP). Most of the tutorials have examples to install httpd, mysql, etc
using yum install httpd....

The reason for this e-mail is that I noticed in yum grouplist that there
is an option to install Web Server, MySQL database server, etc.

Question: Is there any advantage to using yum groupinstall for a
webserver as opposed to using yum install httpd? I am just curious why
most online docs dont mention groupinstall and only reference installing
each app manually one by one.

Any information would be appreciated