Old 11-06-2011, 12:36 AM
John R Pierce

Default School cloud solution

On 11/05/11 6:29 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
> Thanks for all of your thoughts. I will look into gollem. The clients at
> school are windows 7. At home the clients might be any number of OS's.
> Eventually we might be using some sort of tablet devise probably Android
> based.

see, another problem with a 'file' based solution is editing
software... ok, you have windows7 at school... what format are the
documents in, MS Office 2010 ? Users at home are going to have a
motley mix of older versions and other platforms, possibly not have the
same font sets, etc etc. The Google App approach bypasses this
entirely, the client editing software is the browser and the google app
Ajax stuff. The documents are the same regardless of what platform the
user is on.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 11-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Doug Coats

I understand what google docs offers but it comes with the need for an email address that i can not make students have, the inability for me to control who has access to which files, and no way to get teachers access without each student configuring that on their own. My teachers have enough to worry about. They will not use a solution that is more difficult then what we already use. Any solution has to be a clear upgrade with advantages for it to be adopted.
Sent from my ASUS Eee Pad

Old 11-06-2011, 02:28 AM
Toby Bluhm

On 11/5/2011 10:43 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
> I understand what google docs offers but it comes with the need for an email address that i can not make students have, the inability for me to control who has access to which files, and no way to get teachers access without each student configuring that on their own. My teachers have enough to worry about. They will not use a solution that is more difficult then what we already use. Any solution has to be a clear upgrade with advantages for it to be adopted.
> Sent from my ASUS Eee Pad

Try a search for "document management system open source."

Old 11-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,