Old 11-05-2011, 11:34 PM
Doug Coats

Default School cloud solution

This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server OS of choice.

I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to it. Basically i would like our students to have access to the same files at home that they have at school. This would allow them to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without having to worry about losing their usb drive. I want it housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.

I have looked at Moodle but it has way to many layers that we are not interested in. I would like something like squirrel mail. A simple web login that then gives you access to your samba managed files.

I have repeatedly searched for such capabilities but i have not found any that fit what i outlined above. Is there such a program out there?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/05/11 5:34 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
> This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server OS of choice.
>
> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to it. Basically i would like our students to have access to the same files at home that they have at school. This would allow them to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without having to worry about losing their usb drive. I want it housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.

thats really not a cloud, thats just an internet accessible file server
as you describe. the problem is, any system that involves downloading
a file, editing it locally, and uploading it back to the file server
will fail, as users won't remember to upload, and leave multiple
versions scattered about.

Look into google 'apps' (which is really corporatized google
documents). you edit your documents via your web browser, everything
is hosted in googles cloud so its accessible everywhere. It supports
written 'word' style documents, spreadsheets, presentations (powerpoint
like) and a few other types.

yes, it costs money per person per year (up to 25 users are free), but
I'd have to assume there's an educational discount.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 11-05-2011, 11:44 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2011-11-05 at 19:34 -0500, Doug Coats wrote:
> This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server OS of choice.
>
> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to it. Basically i would like our students to have access to the same files at home that they have at school. This would allow them to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without having to worry about losing their usb drive. I want it housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.
>
> I have looked at Moodle but it has way to many layers that we are not interested in. I would like something like squirrel mail. A simple web login that then gives you access to your samba managed files.
>
> I have repeatedly searched for such capabilities but i have not found any that fit what i outlined above. Is there such a program out there?
>
> Thanks for your thoughts!
----
sounds like webdav is what you want

Craig

believed to be clean.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:49 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/06/2011 01:41 AM, John R Pierce piše:
> On 11/05/11 5:34 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
>> This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server OS of choice.
>>
>> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to it. Basically i would like our students to have access to the same files at home that they have at school. This would allow them to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without having to worry about losing their usb drive. I want it housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.
>
> thats really not a cloud, thats just an internet accessible file server
> as you describe. the problem is, any system that involves downloading
> a file, editing it locally, and uploading it back to the file server
> will fail, as users won't remember to upload, and leave multiple
> versions scattered about.
>

> Look into google 'apps' (which is really corporatized google
> documents). you edit your documents via your web browser, everything
> is hosted in googles cloud so its accessible everywhere. It supports
> written 'word' style documents, spreadsheets, presentations (powerpoint
> like) and a few other types.
>
> yes, it costs money per person per year (up to 25 users are free), but
> I'd have to assume there's an educational discount.

What about WebDav: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV ? This should
just what doctor ordered.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/06/2011 01:49 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic piše:
> Vreme: 11/06/2011 01:41 AM, John R Pierce piše:
>> On 11/05/11 5:34 PM, Doug Coats wrote:
>>> This really isn't a CentOS specific queation but that is our server OS of choice.
>>>
>>> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to it. Basically i would like our students to have access to the same files at home that they have at school. This would allow them to start an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without having to worry about losing their usb drive. I want it housed on our servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.
>>
>> thats really not a cloud, thats just an internet accessible file server
>> as you describe. the problem is, any system that involves downloading
>> a file, editing it locally, and uploading it back to the file server
>> will fail, as users won't remember to upload, and leave multiple
>> versions scattered about.
>>

>> Look into google 'apps' (which is really corporatized google
>> documents). you edit your documents via your web browser, everything
>> is hosted in googles cloud so its accessible everywhere. It supports
>> written 'word' style documents, spreadsheets, presentations (powerpoint
>> like) and a few other types.
>>
>> yes, it costs money per person per year (up to 25 users are free), but
>> I'd have to assume there's an educational discount.
>>

> What about WebDav: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WebDAV ? This should
> just what doctor ordered.

Some recomended clients:
http://barracudaserver.com/products/BarracudaDrive/tutorials/mapping_windows_drive.lsp

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Barry Brimer

> I manage a student file server and i would like to add cloud access to
> it. Basically i would like our students to have access to the same
> files at home that they have at school. This would allow them to start
> an asignment at home, finish it at school, and print it off without
> having to worry about losing their usb drive. I want it housed on our
> servers for backups and ease of access for our teachers when necessary.

Have you looked at Gollem? http://www.horde.org/apps/gollem

WebDAV / DAV could work too.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:12 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/06/2011 01:56 AM, Barry Brimer piše:
> Have you looked at Gollem? http://www.horde.org/apps/gollem

Where are clients for Windows/Linux/Mac?

It should be transparent to Document Applications.., like virtual file
system..

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)