Old 11-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Default Odd ethernet interface

Vreme: 11/05/2011 01:10 AM, Mufit Eribol piše:
> Hello,
>
> I have a CentOS 6 VM on a CentOS 6 host. This VM has two ethernet
> interfaces, eth0 and eth1. It was working nice. All of a sudden eth1
> stopped working as expected. Kernel started to give the message below:
>
> kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth2 to eth2-eth1
>
> There is no any eth2 or eth2-eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. I
> really don't know where it is coming from.

Your eth1 is being automaticaly renamed to eth2-eth1 for some reason.
Have you changed anything in config(s) connected to eth1?

Are name and device name in ifcfg-ethX consistent? Have you reshufled
your configs and left loose end somewhere?

Do you maybe have NetworkManager still active?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-04-2011, 11:42 PM
John R Pierce

On 11/04/11 5:32 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Do you maybe have NetworkManager still active?

is there any documentation on how to work with NetworkManager in
shell-only mode? the RHEL manuals I looked at all seemed to assume
you're running a GUI console, which I never do on my servers.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 11-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Jure Pečar

On Fri, 04 Nov 2011 17:42:03 -0700
John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com> wrote:

> is there any documentation on how to work with NetworkManager in
> shell-only mode? the RHEL manuals I looked at all seemed to assume
> you're running a GUI console, which I never do on my servers.

I'd recommend the same treatment for network manager as we used for sendmail
all those years back:
# yum -y remove NetworkManager

And then configure your network the old, verified, stable and trusted way,
by editing the ifcfg files. The whole idea of having something running on a
*server* that can change your networks settings for whatever reason is
horribly wrong.

To answer your question, there exist something called nm-cli, but I found
it to be not of much use.

--

Jure Pečar
http://jure.pecar.org

Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 AM
John R Pierce

On 11/04/11 6:29 PM, Jure Pečar wrote:
> I'd recommend the same treatment for network manager as we used for sendmail
> all those years back:
> # yum -y remove NetworkManager
>
> And then configure your network the old, verified, stable and trusted way,
> by editing the ifcfg files. The whole idea of having something running on a
> *server* that can change your networks settings for whatever reason is
> horribly wrong.

great. how do I do dhcp (client) without NetworkManager ? Most all my
lab servers are configured via DHCP reservations.

and where IS the docs on what-all goes in ifcfg-eth0 or whatever now
days? again, the RHEL6 manuals seem to skip over these details.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 11-05-2011, 01:07 AM
Nicolas Thierry-Mieg

John R Pierce wrote:
> On 11/04/11 6:29 PM, Jure Pečar wrote:
>> I'd recommend the same treatment for network manager as we used for sendmail
>> all those years back:
>> # yum -y remove NetworkManager
>>
>> And then configure your network the old, verified, stable and trusted way,
>> by editing the ifcfg files. The whole idea of having something running on a
>> *server* that can change your networks settings for whatever reason is
>> horribly wrong.
>
> great. how do I do dhcp (client) without NetworkManager ? Most all my
> lab servers are configured via DHCP reservations.
>
> and where IS the docs on what-all goes in ifcfg-eth0 or whatever now
> days? again, the RHEL6 manuals seem to skip over these details.

BOOTPROTO=dhcp

it's documented same as in previous versions in
/usr/share/doc/initscripts-*/sysconfig.txt

Old 11-05-2011, 05:15 AM
Mufit Eribol

On 05.11.2011 02:32, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 11/05/2011 01:10 AM, Mufit Eribol piše:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a CentOS 6 VM on a CentOS 6 host. This VM has two ethernet
>> interfaces, eth0 and eth1. It was working nice. All of a sudden eth1
>> stopped working as expected. Kernel started to give the message below:
>>
>> kernel: udev: renamed network interface eth2 to eth2-eth1
>>
>> There is no any eth2 or eth2-eth1 in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/. I
>> really don't know where it is coming from.
> Your eth1 is being automaticaly renamed to eth2-eth1 for some reason.
> Have you changed anything in config(s) connected to eth1?
>
> Are name and device name in ifcfg-ethX consistent? Have you reshufled
> your configs and left loose end somewhere?
>
> Do you maybe have NetworkManager still active?

Thank you for the responses.

There is no NetworkManager installed.

Perhaps I should give some more info. It is a two-gateway machine. I
have following lines in my rc.local:

# routing and default gateway for each interface
ip route add 10.0.0.0/24 dev eth0 src 10.0.0.32 table T1
ip route add default via 10.0.0.11 table T1
ip route add 192.168.2.0/24 dev eth1 src 192.168.2.2 table T2
ip route add default via 192.168.2.1 table T2
# regular routes
ip route add 10.0.0.0/24 dev eth0 src 10.0.0.32
ip route add 192.168.2.0/24 dev eth1 src 192.168.2.2
# default gateway
ip route add default via 10.0.0.11
# rules
ip rule add from 10.0.0.32 table T1
ip rule add from 192.168.2.2 table T2

But again, the system was working before fine. The problematic interface
is 192.168.2.2 (eth1).

In network-scripts directory, I have 2 eth configuration files, nothing
else (apart from lo of course).

eth0:
DEVICE="eth0"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=52:54:00:E0:5A:C5
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=10.0.0.32
PREFIX=24
DNS1=127.0.0.1
#DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="System eth0"
UUID=5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03
PEERDNS=no

eth1:
DEVICE="eth1"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=52:54:00:B5:B61
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
IPADDR=192.168.2.2
PREFIX=24
DNS1=127.0.0.1
#DEFROUTE=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="System eth1"
UUID=5fb06bd0-0bb0-7ffb-45f1-d6edd65f3e03
PEERDNS=no

network:
NETWORKING=yes
NETWORKING_IPV6=no
HOSTNAME=www.onart.com.tr
GATEWAY=10.0.0.11

Thank you for your support.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:52 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/05/2011 02:52 AM, John R Pierce piše:
> On 11/04/11 6:29 PM, Jure Pečar wrote:
>> I'd recommend the same treatment for network manager as we used for sendmail
>> all those years back:
>> # yum -y remove NetworkManager
>>
>> And then configure your network the old, verified, stable and trusted way,
>> by editing the ifcfg files. The whole idea of having something running on a
>> *server* that can change your networks settings for whatever reason is
>> horribly wrong.
>
> great. how do I do dhcp (client) without NetworkManager ? Most all my
> lab servers are configured via DHCP reservations.
>
> and where IS the docs on what-all goes in ifcfg-eth0 or whatever now
> days? again, the RHEL6 manuals seem to skip over these details.

Removing NetworkManager (only sane solution for server):

http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking#Disabling_NetworkManager

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-05-2011, 01:12 PM
Rainer Traut

Am 05.11.2011 07:15, schrieb Mufit Eribol:
> On 05.11.2011 02:32, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
>> Vreme: 11/05/2011 01:10 AM, Mufit Eribol piše:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> I have a CentOS 6 VM on a CentOS 6 host. This VM has two ethernet
>>> interfaces, eth0 and eth1. It was working nice. All of a sudden eth1
>>> stopped working as expected. Kernel started to give the message below:

Hi Mufit,

renaming of interfaces most likely comes from udev rules.
Find rule 70 network in /etc/udev.d/rules, it is recreated upon restart.
Delete it then reboot.
Maybe this helps.

Rainer