Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 AM
Bob Hoffman

Default redhat vs centos

I have been reading the threads on here with great ernest about redhat
making a move to throw off centos compilations.
I read some stories about microsoft wanting to work closer with centos
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/17/microsoft_and_centos/

I have to update to centos 6 due to some needs of clients who need newer
mysql and php (and installing them on centos5
was too hard for me).

I am thinking of going ubuntu server but at the same time I have this
feeling centos team will pull through, make a new method to streamline
this, and redhat will back down and stop being REDa$$-hats.

Redhat thinks us 'freebie' people will move to them to get the quicker
updates and releases.
I look at the pricing and I say they must be out of their minds.
The server comes at 1,999 a year for 2 sockets and more than 4
guests...which is what I would need.
The virtualization package, which may or may not be needed is thousands
more.
All for one server.

that ain't gonna happen.

Personally I am thinking of staying away from all red hat clones due to
redhat's actions for my own security.
The only thing on the horizon I see is ubuntu server as best supported
and up to date.

I am teetering tonight. I have downloaded it and am thinking of wiping
my new centos6 install and trying it out.

How do you all feel about this turn of events and what is your gut
feeling on where this is going?
And how about them hard drive prices?!!

Old 11-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Eero Volotinen

2011/11/1 Bob Hoffman <bob@bobhoffman.com>:
> I have been reading the threads on here with great ernest about redhat
> making a move to throw off centos compilations.
> I read some stories about microsoft wanting to work closer with centos
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/17/microsoft_and_centos/
>
> I have to update to centos 6 due to some needs of clients who need newer
> mysql and php (and installing them on centos5
> was too hard for me).

You can get updated php and mysql from ius community repo.

http://iuscommunity.org/

br,
--
Eero, RHCE

Old 11-01-2011, 10:26 AM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 11/01/2011 06:53 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2011/11/1 Bob Hoffman<bob@bobhoffman.com>:
>> I have been reading the threads on here with great ernest about redhat
>> making a move to throw off centos compilations.
>> I read some stories about microsoft wanting to work closer with centos
>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/17/microsoft_and_centos/
>>
>> I have to update to centos 6 due to some needs of clients who need newer
>> mysql and php (and installing them on centos5
>> was too hard for me).
>
> You can get updated php and mysql from ius community repo.
>
> http://iuscommunity.org/

I don't think the real question here is whether you can get updated
packages from somewhere but if it's worthwhile to build upon centos when
it's becoming increasingly difficult for centos to make releases.

People like me are going to install a lot of systems in the coming months
and years and upgrade older ones as well. Given that the problems we are
seeing now don't seem to be temporary but are going to be around and
probably get worse due to the upstream changes it is just prudent to
consider to move to a more sustainable base.

Lack of communication from the core team in these matters doesn't improve
the situation either. I would expect some sort of announcement that the CR
repo will fully replace the point releases as that seems to be the case
now. The only thing that is missing then is ISO releases of updated
versions and perhaps more importantly installation ISOs with updated
kernels (you cannot install centos/rhel 6 on some systems with intel NICs
due to a kernel bug but this is fixed in 6.1).

Given that the status of 6.1 on the 1st of Sept. was "CentOS 6.1 current
status : 16 packages still don't built/link like they should. So no
installable tree/ISO is currently available for the QA team to test. no ETA
for that" I don't see much hope for the future of point releases in centos.

Regards,
Dennis

Old 11-01-2011, 10:58 AM
Eero Volotinen

2011/11/1 Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de>:
> On 11/01/2011 06:53 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
>> 2011/11/1 Bob Hoffman<bob@bobhoffman.com>:
>>> I have been reading the threads on here with great ernest about redhat
>>> making a move to throw off centos compilations.
>>> I read some stories about microsoft wanting to work closer with centos
>>> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/05/17/microsoft_and_centos/
>>>
>>> I have to update to centos 6 due to some needs of clients who need newer
>>> mysql and php (and installing them on centos5
>>> was too hard for me).
>>
>> You can get updated php and mysql from ius community repo.
>>
>> http://iuscommunity.org/
>
> I don't think the real question here is whether you can get updated
> packages from somewhere but if it's worthwhile to build upon centos when
> it's becoming increasingly difficult for centos to make releases.

Well, I mainly use RHEL on production systems - for many reasons. You
can also try use scientific linux..

br,
--
Eero

Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM
Brian Mathis

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM, Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@iki.fi> wrote:
> 2011/11/1 Dennis Jacobfeuerborn <dennisml@conversis.de>:

>>> You can get updated php and mysql from ius community repo.
>>>
>>> http://iuscommunity.org/
>>
>> I don't think the real question here is whether you can get updated
>> packages from somewhere but if it's worthwhile to build upon centos when
>> it's becoming increasingly difficult for centos to make releases.
>
> Well, I mainly use RHEL on production systems - for many reasons. You
> can also try use scientific linux..
>
> br,
> Eero

When Redhat announced the changes they made it very clear they were
trying to prevent other companies (like Oracle and Novell) who were
providing support to RHEL customers at reduced rates. They have never
said they were concerned with the free clones and in fact have helped
CentOS many times in the past (according to statements from the core
developers).

Redhat knows that the free distros help them maintain market share,
and gain customers who need full support eventually. The issues
CentOS are seeing are simply collateral damage to the larger war
against the other big companies who are trying to provide services by
cheating.

-☙ Brian Mathis ❧-

Old 11-01-2011, 01:53 PM

In article <CALKwpEyuPRU5Az9xU_d_BrJc0m_E9XDLH1T5iuB2U8rvRZev Tg@mail.gmail.com>,
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos@betteradmin.com> wrote:

> When Redhat announced the changes they made it very clear they were
> trying to prevent other companies (like Oracle and Novell) who were
> providing support to RHEL customers at reduced rates. They have never
> said they were concerned with the free clones and in fact have helped
> CentOS many times in the past (according to statements from the core
> developers).
>
> Redhat knows that the free distros help them maintain market share,
> and gain customers who need full support eventually. The issues
> CentOS are seeing are simply collateral damage to the larger war
> against the other big companies who are trying to provide services by
> cheating.

Except that the other day, Johnny posted this:

> I can tell you that we have been contacted by upstream to make sure we
> **UNDERSTAND** the new AUP restrictions on distribution. I can also
> tell you that we (CentOS) are doing everything in our power to meet the
> restrictions as they were explained to us.

which sounds like RH making it clear that their changes are aimed at CentOS too.

Pity... perhaps RH have had a change of manager somewhere...

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Old 11-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Digimer

On 11/01/2011 01:46 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> I have been reading the threads on here with great ernest about redhat
> making a move to throw off centos compilations.

Having spoken to folks at Red Hat in an unofficial capacity, I strongly
believe that CentOS is appreciated by Red Hat. Changes Red Hat makes
have nothing to do with "throwing off" CentOS. They do what they do for
reasons that, to them, make technical and business sense. Nothing more.

--
Digimer
E-Mail: digimer@alteeve.com

Old 11-01-2011, 02:58 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 11/01/2011 04:50 PM, Digimer piše:
> On 11/01/2011 01:46 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>> I have been reading the threads on here with great ernest about redhat
>> making a move to throw off centos compilations.
>
> Having spoken to folks at Red Hat in an unofficial capacity, I strongly
> believe that CentOS is appreciated by Red Hat. Changes Red Hat makes
> have nothing to do with "throwing off" CentOS. They do what they do for
> reasons that, to them, make technical and business sense. Nothing more.

Then Red Hat should see what problems CentOS team has and try to help
them even with behind closed doors, like giving them tips what order to
use to build packages, etc.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-01-2011, 03:27 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:
> Vreme: 11/01/2011 04:50 PM, Digimer piše:
>> On 11/01/2011 01:46 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>>> I have been reading the threads on here with great ernest about redhat
>>> making a move to throw off centos compilations.
>>
>> Having spoken to folks at Red Hat in an unofficial capacity, I strongly
>> believe that CentOS is appreciated by Red Hat. Changes Red Hat makes
>> have nothing to do with "throwing off" CentOS. They do what they do for
>> reasons that, to them, make technical and business sense. Nothing more.
>>

> Then Red Hat should see what problems CentOS team has and try to help
> them even with behind closed doors, like giving them tips what order to
> use to build packages, etc.

I also see that Red Hat would appreciate CentOS but may not actively
provide helping hands.

One major contribution CentOS makes is to help maintain the Red Hat
ecosystem as was pointed out by others. If it was not for CentOS, I
would not have my current RHEL entitlement. :-)

Real "problem" with recent release troubles with CentOS is that some
(or many?) are migrating to Ubuntu/Debian rather than to other RHEL
clones, which might eventually hurt the entire Red Hat community. See
the trend at:

http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux

Akemi

Old 11-01-2011, 03:33 PM
Digimer

On 11/01/2011 12:27 PM, Akemi Yagi wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 8:58 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:
>> Vreme: 11/01/2011 04:50 PM, Digimer piše:
>>>
>>> Having spoken to folks at Red Hat in an unofficial capacity, I strongly
>>> believe that CentOS is appreciated by Red Hat. Changes Red Hat makes
>>> have nothing to do with "throwing off" CentOS. They do what they do for
>>> reasons that, to them, make technical and business sense. Nothing more.
>>>

>> Then Red Hat should see what problems CentOS team has and try to help
>> them even with behind closed doors, like giving them tips what order to
>> use to build packages, etc.
>
> I also see that Red Hat would appreciate CentOS but may not actively
> provide helping hands.
>
> One major contribution CentOS makes is to help maintain the Red Hat
> ecosystem as was pointed out by others. If it was not for CentOS, I
> would not have my current RHEL entitlement. :-)
>
> Real "problem" with recent release troubles with CentOS is that some
> (or many?) are migrating to Ubuntu/Debian rather than to other RHEL
> clones, which might eventually hurt the entire Red Hat community. See
> the trend at:
>
> http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux
>
> Akemi

One thing that, I believe, would go a long way to helping CentOS would
be for those of us who have purchased RHEL licenses after using CentOS
to actually tell Red Hat this.

If the "bean counters" hear from customers that they *are* customers
thanks to their ability to use CentOS earlier on, it would help bolster
the arguments coming from the technical folk who see the value in CentOS.