Old 10-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Ron Loftin

Default Intel wireless firmware

This may not be the best place to ask, but Google hasn't given me any
useful information.

I have an "older" laptop that is using the Intel 2200 wireless
interface. I installed CentOS 5 on it some time ago and everything is
fine. When I was reviewing my kickstart setups I found that the ipw2200
firmware package is no longer available in RPMForge. The CentOS site's
how-to page for this interface still refers to RPMForge, so that now
seems out of date.

What happened to the Intel firmware packages on RPMForge and where else
should I be looking for them ? I tried ELRepo and didn't see them
there.

Suggestions and pointers are welcome, and thanks in advance.

--
Ron Loftin reloftin@twcny.rr.com

"God, root, what is difference ?" Piter from UserFriendly

Old 10-29-2011, 06:17 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/29/2011 07:41 PM, Ron Loftin piše:

> This may not be the best place to ask, but Google hasn't given me any
> useful information.
>
> I have an "older" laptop that is using the Intel 2200 wireless
> interface. I installed CentOS 5 on it some time ago and everything is
> fine. When I was reviewing my kickstart setups I found that the ipw2200
> firmware package is no longer available in RPMForge. The CentOS site's
> how-to page for this interface still refers to RPMForge, so that now
> seems out of date.
>
> What happened to the Intel firmware packages on RPMForge and where else
> should I be looking for them ? I tried ELRepo and didn't see them
> there.
>
> Suggestions and pointers are welcome, and thanks in advance.

ipw2200-firmware is part of base system now, at least I have that
package installed by anaconda.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-29-2011, 06:25 PM
Ron Loftin

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 20:17 +0200, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> Vreme: 10/29/2011 07:41 PM, Ron Loftin piše:
> >
> > This may not be the best place to ask, but Google hasn't given me any
> > useful information.
> >
> > I have an "older" laptop that is using the Intel 2200 wireless
> > interface. I installed CentOS 5 on it some time ago and everything is
> > fine. When I was reviewing my kickstart setups I found that the ipw2200
> > firmware package is no longer available in RPMForge. The CentOS site's
> > how-to page for this interface still refers to RPMForge, so that now
> > seems out of date.
> >
> > What happened to the Intel firmware packages on RPMForge and where else
> > should I be looking for them ? I tried ELRepo and didn't see them
> > there.
> >
> > Suggestions and pointers are welcome, and thanks in advance.
> >

> ipw2200-firmware is part of base system now, at least I have that
> package installed by anaconda.

I see it in my local mirrors for CentOS 6, but I'm still running CentOS
5 on this laptop and other boxes. I would like to be able to re-install
the same version if something bad happens, and right now it looks like I
can't do it.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:04 PM
Ned Slider

On 29/10/11 18:41, Ron Loftin wrote:

> This may not be the best place to ask, but Google hasn't given me any
> useful information.
>
> I have an "older" laptop that is using the Intel 2200 wireless
> interface. I installed CentOS 5 on it some time ago and everything is
> fine. When I was reviewing my kickstart setups I found that the ipw2200
> firmware package is no longer available in RPMForge. The CentOS site's
> how-to page for this interface still refers to RPMForge, so that now
> seems out of date.
>
> What happened to the Intel firmware packages on RPMForge and where else
> should I be looking for them ? I tried ELRepo and didn't see them
> there.

They are not currently in elrepo because no one has ever requested them,
they were in rpmforge, and they are now old/legacy and unmaintained. I
didn't realise they were no longer available from rpmforge.

File an RFE and I'll get them added for you.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:12 PM
Ned Slider

On 29/10/11 23:04, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 29/10/11 18:41, Ron Loftin wrote:
>>
>> This may not be the best place to ask, but Google hasn't given me any
>> useful information.
>>
>> I have an "older" laptop that is using the Intel 2200 wireless
>> interface. I installed CentOS 5 on it some time ago and everything is
>> fine. When I was reviewing my kickstart setups I found that the ipw2200
>> firmware package is no longer available in RPMForge. The CentOS site's
>> how-to page for this interface still refers to RPMForge, so that now
>> seems out of date.
>>
>> What happened to the Intel firmware packages on RPMForge and where else
>> should I be looking for them ? I tried ELRepo and didn't see them
>> there.
>>

> They are not currently in elrepo because no one has ever requested them,
> they were in rpmforge, and they are now old/legacy and unmaintained. I
> didn't realise they were no longer available from rpmforge.
>
> File an RFE and I'll get them added for you.
>
>> Suggestions and pointers are welcome, and thanks in advance.

I'm not sure why they're not showing up on rpmforge as the package is
still showing in their git tree:

https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/tree/master/specs/ipw2200-firmware

Maybe you should ask / file an issue with repoforge.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:02 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/30/2011 12:12 AM, Ned Slider piše:
> I'm not sure why they're not showing up on rpmforge as the package is
> still showing in their git tree:
>
> https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/tree/master/specs/ipw2200-firmware
>
> Maybe you should ask / file an issue with repoforge.

I am not sure if I got it right, but I understood it, their transition
to git broke their pattern of work, so there are snags until people do
not acclimatize, and all packages are checked. Reporting a problem will
help.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-30-2011, 12:23 AM
Ron Loftin

On Sat, 2011-10-29 at 23:12 +0100, Ned Slider wrote:
> On 29/10/11 23:04, Ned Slider wrote:
> > On 29/10/11 18:41, Ron Loftin wrote:
> >>
> >> This may not be the best place to ask, but Google hasn't given me any
> >> useful information.
> >>
> >> I have an "older" laptop that is using the Intel 2200 wireless
> >> interface. I installed CentOS 5 on it some time ago and everything is
> >> fine. When I was reviewing my kickstart setups I found that the ipw2200
> >> firmware package is no longer available in RPMForge. The CentOS site's
> >> how-to page for this interface still refers to RPMForge, so that now
> >> seems out of date.
> >>
> >> What happened to the Intel firmware packages on RPMForge and where else
> >> should I be looking for them ? I tried ELRepo and didn't see them
> >> there.
> >>

> > They are not currently in elrepo because no one has ever requested them,
> > they were in rpmforge, and they are now old/legacy and unmaintained. I
> > didn't realise they were no longer available from rpmforge.
> >
> > File an RFE and I'll get them added for you.
> >
> >> Suggestions and pointers are welcome, and thanks in advance.
> >>

> I'm not sure why they're not showing up on rpmforge as the package is
> still showing in their git tree:
>
> https://github.com/repoforge/rpms/tree/master/specs/ipw2200-firmware
>
> Maybe you should ask / file an issue with repoforge.

I don't see a way to file an issue on the repoforge Web site. I just
filed an RFE with ELRepo to ask for this.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Vreme: 10/30/2011 02:23 AM, Ron Loftin piše:
> I don't see a way to file an issue on the repoforge Web site. I just
> filed an RFE with ELRepo to ask for this.

Note in Repoforge's spec says:
"EL6 ships with ipw2200-firmware-3.1-4.el6"

so there is no need to update it, it should work out of the box. Even
aTrpms has only 3.0.9.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 11-03-2011, 08:43 PM
Scott Silva

on 10/29/2011 10:41 AM Ron Loftin spake the following:

http://packages.atrpms.net/dist/el5/ipw2200/