-   -   read failed after messages of non existing harddisks (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/592234-read-failed-after-messages-non-existing-harddisks.html)

Götz Reinicke 10-28-2011 12:08 PM

read failed after messages of non existing harddisks

Hi,

some time ago I removed some physical disks from a server and now I'm
still getting dmesg messages like:

sd 0:2:2:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00040001
end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0

And all lvm tools still grumbel about that disks too:

/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
/dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 1746969493504:
Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler

How may I tell the lvm and the system, that it is ok that this disk do
not exist any more?

Thnaks for hints and suggestion . Götz
--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt

Philippe Naudin 10-28-2011 01:26 PM

Le ven 28 oct 2011 14:08:50 CEST, Götz Reinicke a écrit:

> Hi,
>
> some time ago I removed some physical disks from a server and now I'm
> still getting dmesg messages like:
>
> sd 0:2:2:0: SCSI error: return code = 0x00040001
> end_request: I/O error, dev sdc, sector 0
>
> And all lvm tools still grumbel about that disks too:
>
> /dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
> /dev/sdb: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 1746969493504:
> Eingabe-/Ausgabefehler
>

> How may I tell the lvm and the system, that it is ok that this disk do
> not exist any more?

If a software RAID has been removed, don't forget :
mdadm --misc --zero-superblock /dev/sdX
where sdX is every disk that was part of the RAID.

--
Philippe Naudin
UMR MISTEA : Mathématiques, Informatique et STatistique pour

Richard Mollel 10-28-2011 04:01 PM

read failed after messages of non existing harddisks

Before you physically removed the disk, you were supposed to have done pvremove.
you can try pvdisplay/pvscan and see if these disks are displayed there, before trying a pvremove on them again.
I assume the said disks were properly remove from any lv,vg that you had.

Richard Mollel 10-28-2011 04:10 PM

read failed after messages of non existing harddisks

Just reread your post again....
Actually, "cat /proc/partitions", if the said partitions/disks are still being seen by kernel, you will need some sort of system scan to get rid of them, or a reboot.
I have a SAN, and qlogic card as HBA, qlogic has a tool for scanning for non-existent partitions and remove them...
http://filedownloads.qlogic.com/files/ms/56615/readme_dynamic_lun_22.html
and with qlogic, I could have removed the non-existent LUNs via the option refresh:
-r, --refresh
*********************** To refresh, that is remove LUNs that are lost
*********************** use the options "-r|--refresh". This will
*********************** remove the LUNs which no more exist.
How were these disks attached to your system?

Götz Reinicke 10-31-2011 08:37 AM

read failed after messages of non existing harddisks

Hi,

a cat /proc/partitions shows the two disks. They were direct connected
to an scsi port. (Old ide 2 scsi Raids).

I disconnected tham a long time ago and never worried about the errors,
as the system was up and running very smooth.

But now I connect other iscsi systems and the dmes and log is not that
easy to monitor with all the unneded messages ...

Anny idea, how to remove that partitions with the redhat tools?

Regards . Götz

Richard Mollel 10-31-2011 04:46 PM

read failed after messages of non existing harddisks

I would assume you have rebooted since removing the drives, in which case they should not be seen by "cat /proc/partition", which is a representation of scanned disks during bootup, unless you have other drives still connected that you are not aware of? "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" should help in narrowing down which devices you are actually looking at.

To bridge the gap when what partitions and scsi/scsi is showing, install package (if not there already) "lsscsi" and run command lsscsi.
Sample output:
$ lsscsi
[0:0:6:0]*** process PE/PV*** 1x3 SCSI BP***** 1.1** -******
[0:2:0:0]*** disk*** MegaRAID LD 0 RAID1* 139G 422D* /dev/sda
[1:0:0:0]*** mediumx COMPAQ** MSL5000 Series** 0520* -******
[1:0:1:0]*** tape*** COMPAQ** SDLT320********* 5F5F* /dev/st0
[1:0:2:0]*** tape*** COMPAQ** SDLT320********* 5F5F* /dev/st1