Old 10-28-2011, 10:24 AM
John Doe

Default You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice?

From: Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de>

> The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
> question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.
> For the User it would be the most simpel thing, to have one big
> filesystem she/he could fill with all the data and dont has to search
> e.g. on multiple volumes.
> On the other hand, if one big filesystem crashes or has do be checked it
> will destroy a lot of data or the check will take hours ...

Splitting the space, if you have the option, has advantages...
You already mentioned fsck.
You could assign different partitions to different groups of people.
You could, depending on your RAID level, create several arrays on
different drives to limit disk contention (but you will lose either some
space and/or some speed)...

JD

Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Bent Terp

2011/10/28 Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de>

> The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
> question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.

My vote goes to XFS, if only one server needs acces to the LUN's; and GPFS
(not GFS) if you need a cluster filesystem.

BR Bent (130 TB in one XFS installation, and 600 TB in one gpfs cluster)