-   -   You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice? Max Ext4 sizes (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/592207-you-suggestion-big-filesystem-management-best-practice-max-ext4-sizes.html)

Götz Reinicke 10-28-2011 09:33 AM

Am 28.10.11 11:11, schrieb Rajagopal Swaminathan:
> Greetings,
>
> 2011/10/28 Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de>:
>> Hi,
>>

>> The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
>> question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.
>>
>> My favourite for now is 3 to 4 filesystems with the default ext4
>> settings. (Redhat EL 5.7, may be soon 6.1)
>>

> You should seriously consider XFS (supported natively in RHEL and
> hence Centos 6) for any single filesystem >16TB. (EXT4 supports only
> upto 16TB)

BTW 2 . I thought, the max. filesystemsize is 1EB and not 16TB.

The max FILEsize should be 16TB ...

http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ext4

/Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt

Rajagopal Swaminathan 10-28-2011 09:58 AM

You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice? Max Ext4 sizes

Greetings,

2011/10/28 Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de>:

> BTW 2 . I thought, the max. filesystemsize is 1EB and not 16TB.
>
> The max FILEsize should be 16TB ...

Apologies for missing to give you the link

http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/

Check under "Filesystems and Storage Limits" section.

An one more thing: forget 32 bit here. Use 64 bit only.

HTH

Rajagopal

Götz Reinicke 10-28-2011 10:07 AM

Am 28.10.11 11:58, schrieb Rajagopal Swaminathan:
> Greetings,
>
> 2011/10/28 Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de>:
>>
>> BTW 2 . I thought, the max. filesystemsize is 1EB and not 16TB.
>>
>> The max FILEsize should be 16TB ...
>>

> Apologies for missing to give you the link
>
> http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compare/
>
> Check under "Filesystems and Storage Limits" section.
>
> An one more thing: forget 32 bit here. Use 64 bit only.

Thx. Yes I'l usually go with 64 bit only.

BTW 3. So far I found the information, that the 1EB ist the theory, but
the usertools for managing the ext4 are limited to 16TB for safety
reasons...

regards . Götz

Rajagopal Swaminathan 10-28-2011 10:12 AM

You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice? Max Ext4 sizes

Greetings,

2011/10/28 Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de>:

> Thx. Yes I'l usually go with 64 bit only.
>
> BTW 3. So far I found the information, that the 1EB ist the theory, but
> the usertools for managing the ext4 are limited to 16TB for safety
> reasons...

Another important consideration would be, if and when the organisation
needs support and are ready to pay for it, say, only for production
systems, Redhat has always been there.

Rajagopal