Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM
Götz Reinicke

Default You suggestion for 'big' filesystem management Best Practice?

Am 28.10.11 11:11, schrieb Rajagopal Swaminathan:
> Greetings,
>
> 2011/10/28 Götz Reinicke <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de>:
>> Hi,
>>

>> The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
>> question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.
>>
>> My favourite for now is 3 to 4 filesystems with the default ext4
>> settings. (Redhat EL 5.7, may be soon 6.1)
>>

> You should seriously consider XFS (supported natively in RHEL and
> hence Centos 6) for any single filesystem >16TB. (EXT4 supports only
> upto 16TB)
>
> If you are going to have an RHCS for HA, then GFS2. But I cant comment
> on its performance for streaming applications etc.

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll have a look at XFS.

BTW: We will not use that storage for streaming! It is 'just' a big
space for files with ftp and smb access.

Regards . Götz

--
Götz Reinicke
IT-Koordinator

Tel. +49 7141 969 420
Fax +49 7141 969 55 420
E-Mail goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de

Filmakademie Baden-Württemberg GmbH
Akademiehof 10
71638 Ludwigsburg
www.filmakademie.de

Eintragung Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRB 205016

Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats:
Jürgen Walter MdL
Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg

Geschäftsführer:
Prof. Thomas Schadt

Old 10-28-2011, 02:04 PM
Adam Tauno Williams

On Fri, 2011-10-28 at 10:34 +0200, Götz Reinicke wrote:
> we plan to set up a big file storage for media files like uncompressed
> movies from student film projects, dvd images etc.
> It should be some sort of archive and will not bee accessed by more than
> may be 5 people at the same time.
> The iSCSI RAID we have is about 26TB netto and I'm again faced with the
> question: How many partitions, which filesystem, which mount options etc.=
> For the User it would be the most simpel thing, to have one big
> filesystem she/he could fill with all the data and dont has to search
> e.g. on multiple volumes.

Use LVM.

Divide it into numerous partitions.
Initialize the partitions as Physical Volumes.
Create a Volume Group containing the Physical Volumes.
Then create the volumes you allocate storage as using Logical Volumes.
Your LV can span as many, or as few, PVs as you like.

To the SAN each PV is a partition, you can move it, delete it, etc..
In the OS you can move data between PVs, migrate LVs between PVs, etc..
Even connect to another SAN, attach PVs there to you volume group, and
migrate the LVs to those PVs - this migrating data from one SAN to
another. Then drop the PVs on the old SAN from the VG.