Old 10-26-2011, 06:03 PM

Default CentOS 5.7, evince

I believe I updated evince early this month on this one server. Since then
I don't seem to be able to open a .pdf: 100% of the time, I get "unhandled
mime type: files/allfiles". Has anyone seen anything like this?

Note that this is when it's allegedly trying to open it. I've tried
telling it what to open from the command line, and brought it up by
itself, told it to open, pointed it to the correct directory, and clicked
on the .pdf I want, and hit <open>, and *bang*, it doesn't like it.

I've rm'd .local/share/mime/mime.cache and .gnome2/evince/ev-metadata.xml.
straceing doesn't even show me the filename mentioned.

mark

Old 10-26-2011, 07:47 PM
"David C. Miller"

> I believe I updated evince early this month on this one server. Since
> then
> I don't seem to be able to open a .pdf: 100% of the time, I get
> "unhandled
> mime type: files/allfiles". Has anyone seen anything like this?
>
> Note that this is when it's allegedly trying to open it. I've tried
> telling it what to open from the command line, and brought it up by
> itself, told it to open, pointed it to the correct directory, and
> clicked
> on the .pdf I want, and hit <open>, and *bang*, it doesn't like it.
>
> I've rm'd .local/share/mime/mime.cache and
> .gnome2/evince/ev-metadata.xml.
> straceing doesn't even show me the filename mentioned.
>
> mark

No problem opening pdf's using the latest evince under 5.7 64 bit here.

David.

Old 10-26-2011, 08:25 PM

David C. Miller wrote:
>> From: "m roth" <m.roth@5-cent.us>
>>
>> I believe I updated evince early this month on this one server. Since
>> then I don't seem to be able to open a .pdf: 100% of the time, I get
>> "unhandled mime type: files/allfiles". Has anyone seen anything like
>> this?
>>
>> Note that this is when it's allegedly trying to open it. I've tried
>> telling it what to open from the command line, and brought it up by
>> itself, told it to open, pointed it to the correct directory, and
>> clicked
>> on the .pdf I want, and hit <open>, and *bang*, it doesn't like it.
>>
>> I've rm'd .local/share/mime/mime.cache and
>> .gnome2/evince/ev-metadata.xml.
>> straceing doesn't even show me the filename mentioned.
>
> No problem opening pdf's using the latest evince under 5.7 64 bit here.

Yeah, and I believe I've done it on other systems, which is why I'm
befuddled. Googling only shows me folks who had it come back with
"application=octet/stream", not files/allfiles.

mark