-   -   openldap missing modules (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/591560-openldap-missing-modules.html)

"wessel van der aart" 10-26-2011 05:11 PM

openldap missing modules

Hi List,

I'm currently setting up an openldap server and included the following
lines in my slapd.conf :
modulepath /usr/lib/ldap
moduleload back_hdb
after finishing up my config and i run slaptest on it i get an error
saying that the modulepath doesn't exist.
I checked and it indeed isn't there , in fact i can find it anywhere on my
system (centos 5.7).
the packages i've installed through yum are openldap openldap-servers and
openldap-client.
does anyone know where to find this folder? or do i have to install some
package to get this module?

Thanks,
Wessel

10-26-2011 05:19 PM

openldap missing modules

Wessel,

wessel van der aart wrote:

> I'm currently setting up an openldap server and included the following
> lines in my slapd.conf :
> modulepath /usr/lib/ldap
> moduleload back_hdb
> after finishing up my config and i run slaptest on it i get an error
> saying that the modulepath doesn't exist.
<snip>
I have no idea if this is related - we're not using ldap, so I can't
check, but have a look at
<http://www.openldap.org/lists/openldap-technical/201104/msg00105.html>

mark

"Leen de Braal" 10-26-2011 05:29 PM

openldap missing modules

> Hi List,
>
> I'm currently setting up an openldap server and included the following
> lines in my slapd.conf :
> modulepath /usr/lib/ldap
> moduleload back_hdb
> after finishing up my config and i run slaptest on it i get an error
> saying that the modulepath doesn't exist.

Do you run an 64bit system?
check if there is a /usr/lib64/...

> I checked and it indeed isn't there , in fact i can find it anywhere on my
> system (centos 5.7).
> the packages i've installed through yum are openldap openldap-servers and
> openldap-client.
> does anyone know where to find this folder? or do i have to install some
> package to get this module?
>
> Thanks,
> Wessel

L. de Braal
BraHa Systems
NL - Terneuzen
T +31 115 649333
F +31 115 649444

Alexander Dalloz 10-26-2011 09:11 PM

openldap missing modules

Am 26.10.2011 19:11, schrieb wessel van der aart:
> Hi List,
>
> I'm currently setting up an openldap server and included the following
> lines in my slapd.conf :
> modulepath /usr/lib/ldap
> moduleload back_hdb
> after finishing up my config and i run slaptest on it i get an error
> saying that the modulepath doesn't exist.
> I checked and it indeed isn't there , in fact i can find it anywhere on my
> system (centos 5.7).
> the packages i've installed through yum are openldap openldap-servers and
> openldap-client.
> does anyone know where to find this folder? or do i have to install some
> package to get this module?
>
> Thanks,
> Wessel

Hi,

I assume you are following a random tutorial on the net. Don't do that.
It simply does not fit.

Instead of using a modulepath just (the proper one on CentOS would be
/usr/lib/openldap, as pre-defined in slapd.conf; but the backends are
not available as modules on CentOS), define you database properly. Where
you see

database bdb

in the slapd.conf CentOS ships with, just change bdb into hdb.

Alexander

John Doe 10-27-2011 09:00 AM

openldap missing modules

From: wessel van der aart <wessel@postoffice.nl>

> I'm currently setting up an openldap server and included the following
> lines in my slapd.conf :
> modulepath /usr/lib/ldap
> moduleload back_hdb
> after finishing up my config and i run slaptest on it i get an error
> saying that the modulepath doesn't exist.
> I checked and it indeed isn't there , in fact i can find it anywhere on my
> system (centos 5.7).
> the packages i've installed through yum are openldap openldap-servers and
> openldap-client.
> does anyone know where to find this folder? or do i have to install some
> package to get this module?

Never setup ldap but in the conf file they mention:
# Modules available in openldap-servers-overlays RPM package
This package contains many modules in /usr/lib/openldap;
although not the one you want...

JD

Wessel van der Aart 10-27-2011 12:01 PM

openldap missing modules

actually i'm reading this book , ' mastering openldap' from packt
publishing, on it,
the book uses ubuntu as distro in their examples and i just assumed the
working of openldap between distro's wouldn't be any different (except
for directory paths). however i removed the moduleload line , ran
'slaptest -v -u -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf' (the 'database hdb' bit was
already there) and now it's fine.

Thanks,
wessel

Craig White 10-27-2011 03:28 PM

openldap missing modules

Ubuntu has been using 'dynamic' configuration (aka cn=config and /etc/ldap/slapd.d) for quite some time now but you're using CentOS 5.x which includes an old version of OpenLDAP and uses the 'flat file' configuration (/etc/openldap/slapd.conf)

There's bound to be issues at each place where it talks about 'configuration'.

My suggestion to you is to use some type of virtualization product (VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.) and install Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on a virtual and then you will track with the book.

Craig

On Oct 27, 2011, at 5:01 AM, Wessel van der Aart wrote:

> actually i'm reading this book , ' mastering openldap' from packt
> publishing, on it,
> the book uses ubuntu as distro in their examples and i just assumed the
> working of openldap between distro's wouldn't be any different (except
> for directory paths). however i removed the moduleload line , ran
> 'slaptest -v -u -f /etc/openldap/slapd.conf' (the 'database hdb' bit was
> already there) and now it's fine.
>
> Thanks,
> wessel
>
> On 10/26/2011 11:11 PM, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I assume you are following a random tutorial on the net. Don't do that.
>> It simply does not fit.
>>
>> Instead of using a modulepath just (the proper one on CentOS would be
>> /usr/lib/openldap, as pre-defined in slapd.conf; but the backends are
>> not available as modules on CentOS), define you database properly. Where
>> you see
>>
>> database bdb
>>
>> in the slapd.conf CentOS ships with, just change bdb into hdb.
>>
>> Alexander

Craig White ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ craig.white@ttiltd.com
1.800.869.6908 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ www.ttiassessments.com

Need help communicating between generations at work to achieve your desired success? Let us help!

Wessel van der Aart 10-31-2011 08:57 PM

openldap missing modules

thanks for the tip, does this dynamic configuration come with openldap 2.4?
the version they use in the book is 2.3 which is also the version on
centos 5.7 so i guess i'm safe there ,
but now i'm wondering if this isn't too outdated.
does it make's sense to start with learning an older version?
i'm basically just looking for a way to familiarise myself with all the
terms and tools as i'm fairly new to all this ( i only have experience
with apple's open-directory). what do you think?

wessel

Craig White 10-31-2011 10:36 PM

openldap missing modules

For learning purposes, I think the flat file is much easier to master. I thought Apple's Open-Directory was forked from an older version of OpenLDAP (perhaps 2.1.x).

I gather that upstream 6.x and thus CentOS 6.x is using OpenLDAP 2.4.x and probably also dynamic configuration but I haven't installed upstream 6.x or any derivative distribution so I don't know for sure.

Dynamic configuration was introduced in OpenLDAP 2.3 and it seemed to me that the book is using dynamic configuration but I could be wrong. It either references using 'cn=config' or it doesn't and that's the indicator of whether it is dynamic or not.

Craig