Old 10-25-2011, 10:48 AM

Default PHP 5.3.3 question

Can PHP 5.3.3 be installed on CentOS 5.3, or is it not compatable, and if
so what is the recommended version of CentOS to use?

Thanks,

Robert Anstruther.
SQA Dalkeith is moving. From 21 November 2011 our address will be;
Lowden, 24 Wester Shawfair, Dalkeith, Midlothian, EH22 1FD.
There is no change to the address for SQA Glasgow.
This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission.
WARNING: Computer viruses can be transmitted by e-mail. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses. SQA accepts no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.
Scottish Qualifications Authority
www.sqa.org.uk
postmaster@sqa.org.uk

Old 10-25-2011, 10:56 AM
Baptiste AGASSE

You must upgrade your box to the latest 5.x version (currently 5.7), the php53 (php 5.3.3) package is provided in the main repo.

Regards.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 AM

Hi, thank you for the quick response, it will save me time trying to make
things work on CentOS 5.3, as I have been looking at several sites through
google which did not give any definitive information.

Old 10-25-2011, 11:06 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 12:56:54PM +0200, Baptiste AGASSE wrote:

> Hi,
>
> You must upgrade your box to the latest 5.x version (currently 5.7),
> the php53 (php 5.3.3) package is provided in the main repo.

Can you please learn to properly trim your replies and remove extraneous
text? Thank you.

As far as php-5.3 the general consensus of those that provide support on the
IRC channel is to forgo the CentOS supplied php53 package and instead
use the php53u package that is available from the IUS repository. This
package doesn't suffer from the drawbacks of the package that Redhat
supplied and works out of the box with the support that most people
require.

Please see http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories/ for
more information regarding third-party repos in general and a link to
the IUS repo.

John
--
Much of what looks like rudeness in hacker circles is not intended to give
offense. Rather, it's the product of the direct, cut-through-the-bullshit

Old 10-25-2011, 11:07 AM
John R Pierce

On 10/25/11 3:48 AM, Bob.Anstruther@sqa.org.uk wrote:
> Can PHP 5.3.3 be installed on CentOS 5.3, or is it not compatable, and if
> so what is the recommended version of CentOS to use?

First, run
yum update

to update to 5.7, you're like 2-3 years behind in security and core updates.

second,

yum install php53

will install 5.3.3 ... this is only available with 5.6 or newer.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-25-2011, 11:11 AM
"John R. Dennison"

On Tue, Oct 25, 2011 at 04:07:07AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/25/11 3:48 AM, Bob.Anstruther@sqa.org.uk wrote:
> > Can PHP 5.3.3 be installed on CentOS 5.3, or is it not compatable, and if
> > so what is the recommended version of CentOS to use?
>
> First, run
> yum update

I would _strongly_ caution people to read the release notes for _all_
point releases before updating and to follow the listed recommendations.

John
--
There is as much difference between us and ourselves as between us and others.

-- Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592) French essayist, lawyer, and politician