Old 10-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Bob Hoffman

Default using KVM Virbr0 with bonded nics?

Interested in bonding my 2 on board nics along with my add on card NIC
for a total of 3.

How would this work with the virtual machines?
My eths/IPs ---> bond0, bond0:1, etc ---> ? ----> virbr0,virbr0:1
(each machine to have own IP address, one machine may have some virtual
sites needing more than one ip,
so multiple ips added to mix..)

add something to the bond0 file, or just leave it alone and mess with
the virbr0 files?
I heard something about network manager not liking bonding and bridging...
anyone do this kind of thing?

Old 10-25-2011, 12:42 PM
Jim Wildman

YOu will have to do it on the virbr side, if it does not pick it up
automatically. If the bond is set to be your default route, it may just
"do the right thing". More surprising things have happened...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:48 PM
Bob Hoffman

Jim Wildman wrote
-----------------------------

YOu will have to do it on the virbr side, if it does not pick it up
automatically. If the bond is set to be your default route, it may just
"do the right thing". More surprising things have happened...

On Mon, 24 Oct 2011, Bob Hoffman wrote:
>/ Interested in bonding my 2 on board nics along with my add on card NIC
/>/ for a total of 3.//
/>/ How would this work with the virtual machines?
/>/ My eths/IPs ---> bond0, bond0:1, etc ---> ? ----> virbr0,virbr0:1
/>/ (each machine to have own IP address, one machine may have some virtual
/>/ sites needing more than one ip,
/>/ so multiple ips added to mix..)//
/>/add something to the bond0 file, or just leave it alone and mess with
/>/ the virbr0 files?
/>/ I heard something about network manager not liking bonding and bridging...
/>/ anyone do this kind of thing?
/

-----------------------------

Still working on a solution. Apparently the bond<n> files demand an
ipaddress, thus there might have to be one for each and
every single ip coming into the computer...I guess you would have to do
that anyway just like
eth0, eth0:0, eth0:1, etc.
I think I am going to try to just make a separate eth<n> for each ip,
going to their respective bond<n> with the proper ipaddress
in them. Then use the bridge as normal, with each bond<n> calling a
respective bridge.
Not sure how that works with multiple ips going to same machine (as in,
can the bridge handle more than one ip, or can the machine
look for more than one bridge...?)

Then obviously, the VM would need to go through the whole process too. I
can see no other way and there is no
information out there going over any of it...will post if it works.
(next step after figuring out lvm kvm storage issues.....wheee)

Old 10-25-2011, 06:52 PM
Benjamin Franz

On 10/25/2011 10:48 AM, Bob Hoffman wrote:
> Still working on a solution. Apparently the bond<n> files demand an
> ipaddress, thus there might have to be one for each and
> every single ip coming into the computer...I guess you would have to do
> that anyway just like
> eth0, eth0:0, eth0:1, etc.
> I think I am going to try to just make a separate eth<n> for each ip,
> going to their respective bond<n> with the proper ipaddress
> in them. Then use the bridge as normal, with each bond<n> calling a
> respective bridge
> Not sure how that works with multiple ips going to same machine (as in,
> can the bridge handle more than one ip, or can the machine
> look for more than one bridge...?)

For various reasons I base my host machines on Ubuntu 10.04-LTS and run
CentOS under KVM. My bonded/bridged host configuration looks like this.
You will have to figure out the CentOS equivalents.

# The primary network interface
iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual

# eth0 & eth1 form bond0 for x.x.x.0/25 subnet
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
bond_miimon 100
bond_mode active-backup
bond_downdelay 200
bond_updelay 200
address x.x.x.35
netmask 255.255.255.128
network x.x.x.0
post-up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
pre-down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1

auto br0
iface br0 inet static
bridge_ports bond0
address x.x.x.35
netmask 255.255.255.128
network x.x.x.0
gateway x.x.x.126

I then configured the virtual interface for each virtual machine like this:

<interface type='bridge'>
<mac address='xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx'/>
<source bridge='br0'/>
<model type='virtio'/>
</interface>

and configured each machine using regular 'eth0'.

Don't forget to make sure forwarding is turned on and that your firewall
on the host machine allows FORWARD chain packets to the bridged interface.

--
Benjamin Franz